Higher gearing to Spain?

Superheat

Registered
Hi there,

I live in Sweden and me and my friend is planning to take a trip to Spain this summer. It´s a 4500 mile trip roughly (totally)...
It will be 95% highways so I´m thinking: changing to higher gearing to get the rev´s down is an idea to do to maybe get a better fueleconomy?.
The countryside is rather flat...
I own a busa 2009 and I´m thinking of going down 5 teeths on the rear sprocket, I don´know if it´s a bit too much (from 43 to 38), I mean I´ve got the hp´s...
Anyone here who can some inputs?
Maybe I´m way off, I need a little help...

Johan

:welcome:

Can't hurt to try it, right? As long as there's enough adjustment in your chain, give it a whirl!

Stock chain I dont know if you would be able to go -5 rear. Might have to go +1 front and -3 rear.

I did the same thing (but 3 teeth) on an 89 Katana 1100. It worked great, much less engine for the same speeds. If you go to a smaller sprocket the chain would not need more length, if you go 5 teeth it might be too long to adjust. You might have to shorten it. Personally I'd only go 3 teeth.

i run +1 on the front all the time which is about the same as -2.5 on the back...it works perfectly for the way i ride by giving me higher rpm's in a lower gear when running sweepers and better mpg on the highway

not telling you how to set up your bike but i would go -3 on the back, try it out, and add +1 on the front if you want more...that would give you the equivalent of about -5.5 teeth on the rear

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

I have never seen detectable increases in fuel mileage through gearing on a stock hayabusa. I would suggest keeping it stock and running around 4K R.P.M.s as much as possible for the greatest fuel efficiency

Changing gearing will definitely make a difference in fuel economy. Did it on my gen I. Ran a 43 tooth and ran a 41 and it made a difference. Higher toms equal more has used.

Back