High Volume Oil Pump Gear ?

Blkoutbusa

Registered
"A must have for all Hayabusa's that are subject to high performance type riding."

STOCK motor, is this even worth it? It increases oil volume and also increases water pump speed from my understanding. Was told this is a good route to take even on a stock motor, just looking for some input.

I made about 4000 passes at the drag strip with a completely stock oiling system other than a flat pan and swivel pickup for maybe 1800 of those passes. I ran 40 hp nitrous on maybe 150 of those passes. The bearings looked great when the motor came apart. Suzuki builds these things pretty bullet proof for stock conditions.

I did a lot of research on improving oiling for my 14. The general consensus was that it is not necessary for the 14 and I would assume the system is very similar on the busa.

The aftermarket gear will speed up the oil pump and water pump. It subjects the pumps to harder use under all conditions of course.

The gear causes more parasitic drag on the engine.

The gear will increase the volume of oil getting pumped from idle to whatever psi the oil pressure relief valve opens. On the Gen 1 ZX-14, the oil pressure relief valve opens at a shockingly low 92 psi/~7000 engine rpm. I installed a gauge and verified this. The bike runs 40 psi on fast idle/cold, drops to around 16 when warm, the needle climbs to 80 psi at only 3000 rpm and only goes another 12 psi before it abruptly stops at about 7000-ish rpm. This tells me the relief valves pops at 7000 or so rpm and that is not really very much higher pressure than it was running at a measly 3000 rpm. This was measured at the oil pressure switch for the low pressure light which is in the main galley right after oil exits the filter. It may go a bit higher if the sensor was sampling off of some other location. ---why am I explaining all of this? Because if the busa is similar to the 14 regarding stock oil pressure, an aftermarket oil gear will only be increasing your pressure a small amount and only at low rpm. The pressure valve will pop open at an even lower rpm. There will be no effect whatsoever on high rpm oil volume. Once the relief valve is open, it doesn't matter how many extra teeth you have on your gear, the extra volume blows out the valve and back to the pan.

What the 14 needs to increase oil pressure at high rpm is a modified or aftermarket relief valve. The gear will also help but most have told me it is unnecessary. I have a guy who builds turbo bikes (putting a higher demand on the oiling system) that make over 300 hp and all he does is install an aftermarket oil pump cover.

So if the busa's setup is like the 14's, I say get a stiffer pressure relief valve if you want. That will function as normal at normal rpm but stay closed longer to keep the pressure rising for higher rpm. Of course, more drag on the motor at high rpm too but if you think you need it, that's the first step. Get gauge on there and make your best guess if you need the gear.

this is page 2 of my oil gauges thread talking about the 14's oil pressure readings.
http://zx1441r.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3923&start=50

OIL PRESSURE ENHANCEMENT about the plate (busa cover might be just fine OEM), valve and gear.
http://zx1441r.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3587

Back