High speed tyres

OB_Madman_K

Registered
It is recommended for the BT56J not to run longer then 15min at top speed!
Are tyres like the pirelli EVO (Corsa) or dragon (Corsa)or other soft-compount tyres stable at top-speed?
I just have a hayabusa and I want to try a other tyre.
I was verry pleased with both pirelli's on my RF900.
Suggestion's?

madman, if you can run the bike at top speed for 15 full minutes.........god bless you.........................180 yes........but top speed for 15 minutes...........................

article only,I was not there, 2-4years ago in west texas(ft stockton) at manufacturers(Firestone?) tire test oval(5-8mile), I believe,running bikes flat out caused a heat build up in one spot on the tire(tyre), solved with a specific compound roadrace slick:the speeds if memory serves were lower 150-180,alot lower, if my memory is correct.

If my memory serves me right, when German Motorrad magazine and 3 or 4 other Euro mags went to explore the absolute top-speed of the first stock production Busa they could get their hands on, they used a special high-speed oval/banked circuit in Spain or Italy for this and they were using Pirelli's then brand-new GTS tires in the hope these would last a little longer than whatever top-grip tyre choice would be available.
I don't remember the exact numbers anymore (can look them up if anyone's interested) but they sure didn't last 15 minutes top-speed anyhow!
Think that tires started chunking somewhere between the first and second lap actually and one brave journo risked his life by just once going for the extra lap and holding on if not praying for dear life in an all-out attempt at highest top-speed.
Of course this is all slightly theoretical as you'll probably never have the chance to run all-out for any lenght of time and in this special case the continuous top-speed on a high banked oval means some extra unusual forces working on a small part of the tyre leading to the extremely short mileage and problems, just like the special challenge to tyres that the Daytona banking
provides the bike tyre manufacturers.

In Germany ther are highways that are relative straight and quiet for long runs.
(And it is legal to!!)
I may not run at top speed al the time, but long runs of 190mph(speedometer) and more are posible.
The BT56J stays verry stable (It just wears fast down).
But I find that the BT56 doesn't warm up verry fast (especially with cold weather)
so I want to know if softer compound tyres are also stable at longer high speeds.
Or if the other recommended tyre by suzuki, The Dunlop D207 J, warm's up faster.

Back