High speed to Jail II

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Got a more specific question regarding Jail time...

When I was recently back home in Hawaii, some Stunter/Racers from Honolulu told me that there is a nation wide law now that congress has passed, something like any vehicle exceding 100mph automatically gets impound & jail!
rock.gif
Is this right? Any of our officers here care to comment? Plz.

The Federal government does not pass traffic code, it only presents suggested guidelines to states. The Uniform Traffic Code presents a template "suggestion" to states. In some extreme cases, like where they want to force their agenda, they play games like witholding Federal Highway Safety funds if a state does not adopt a particular "suggestion", such as mandatory seat belt laws or maximum speed limit. In the end, however, the states control their vehicle traffic code (law).

Uniform Traffic Code was set up way back when to encourage compatibility in interstate traffic and, in effect, interstate commerce. If all states recognize certain basics, but also allow individual power/control over their own roads, everyone gets along with relatively good results.

On a related note, this is why if you are cited for something that is legal in your state-of-license (related to driving/license/registration, that is) but is illegal in the state where you are driving, you will have a very good chance of getting it dismissed, depending on the circumstance and the technical particulars of your case. For example, if Indiana does not require a license plate on the front of a vehicle and I get pulled over in Ohio for not having a front plate (Ohio requires one), I can have that ticket dismissed (and the officer should be slightly ashamed if that was the only reason he/she pulled you over and cited you). Technically, this applies to helmet laws too, but more and more judges turn a blind eye to this concept tend to let the ticket ride if their state has a helmet law, a major hypocracy in my book...

However, to the original scenario, it is very likely that whatever state you are in, if you are apprehended after being clocked at going in excess of 100 mph, you are quite likely going to be wearing chrome bracelets and taking a free taxi ride to the grey-bar hotel. There is prima facia evidence that you are willfully presenting yourself as a clear and intentional danger to the safety of others. If they were to let you go with just a ticket and then you went out and did 100 again down the road and killed someone, the victim's family could very easily sue (and win a case against) the department you worked for, the state, the officer, etc for this same reason; they allowed a demonstatedly dangerous driver to continue driving in his/her current state of mind.

Remember, when you are pulled over and cited, that ticket you are receiving is technically a Summons to appear in court, you are only being released at the officer's discretion (and by common practice). Some places still require you to sign, which is stating that you agree in writing to appear or pay your fine (and court costs) in advance. In the olden days, your being pulled over meant that you had to immediately be taken before the local Justice of the Peace and have your case heard on the spot before you could resume driving. The "ticket and release" system is an evolution of courtesy, but you are technically still being summoned to court to answer to the charges before a judge, etc.

Hope that helps explain...

Hey FormerBGB? I posted this somewhere else, but could I get your take on the following?

Can I ask you a quick LEO question? If you happened to see a couple Busa's on a perfectly flat, isolated, no intersections, 7 mile strip of interstate, and you clocked them at about 185MPH what would the response be? Assuming that there was no other traffic, and they were geared up properly...Just curious... Assuming of course, no witnesses, and like I said NO OTHER TRAFFIC... I emphasize the traffic thing because I can see a clear problem with that behaviour if other traffic is involved....

We have some bridges here in the Tampa area that are really well suited to this type of behavior. By and large if something goes tragically wrong, the bike catapults itself into the bay and the rider goes bouncing down along the jersey barriers...[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts?

In the other topic about jail most of the stories included "running" Which I have not done and probly never will, just wondered about the 1 time thing over 100+... Thanx

Hey FormerBGB?  I posted this somewhere else, but could I get your take on the following?

Can I ask you a quick LEO question?  If you happened to see a couple Busa's on a perfectly flat, isolated, no intersections, 7 mile strip of interstate, and you clocked them at about 185MPH what would the response be? Assuming that there was no other traffic, and they were geared up properly...Just curious...  Assuming of course, no witnesses, and like I said NO OTHER TRAFFIC... I emphasize the traffic thing because I can see a clear problem with that behaviour if other traffic is involved....

We have some bridges here in the Tampa area that are really well suited to this type of behavior.  By and large if something goes tragically wrong, the bike catapults itself into the bay and the rider goes bouncing down along the jersey barriers...

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but you're not going to get the answer you want. I'd call you in (for backup/roadblock) if you were on any public highway doing anything over 80. Let's draw distinction between goofing around stunting in a safe, deserted area and traveling at more than 3 times the legal posted limit. All the other scenario descriptors are irrelevant to this issue. You may have taken my earlier posture on stunting the wrong way. If you're dumb enough to do it in front of John Law on any public road, prepare to more than likely pay the price. Do I go out of my WAY to find someone out in the boonies or in a private, clear area? No. Do I enforce the law on public highways in order to promote safety and protect the innocent? You bet.

If we're gonna gamble, we take the risk along with the rush...so the question in each individual scenario is: is it really worth it?

Just to be clear, I'm no saint, hence my handle on these boards. I have my favorite "warp zones" out in the country. I'm no hypocrite in that I know damn well that I'm putting others at risk when I speed, there is no 100% safe scenario. However, I also do it with the clear understanding that I'm breaking the law and expect to get pinched if caught. Don't do the crime if you're not prepared to do the time/fine...

"However, I also do it with the clear understanding that I'm breaking the law and expect to get pinched if caught."

I think that is the key and I see it the same way.  After you get nailed is not the time to go all mushy inside about the "unfairness" of it all.  Hell, you could have gotten one EVERY TIME you were speeding.

I figure if I am breaking the law I have to be aware that I CAN be prosecuted to its fullest extent.  Whether my particular karma draws that, or something less ... is pure karma.  You toss the dice and sometimes it comes up snake-eyes.

The more visible you are and the more times you throw the dice, the more often it will happen.

Just to be clear, I'm no saint, hence my handle on these boards.  I have my favorite "warp zones" out in the country.  I'm no hypocrite in that I know damn well that I'm putting others at risk when I speed, there is no 100% safe scenario.  However, I also do it with the clear understanding that I'm breaking the law and expect to get pinched if caught.  Don't do the crime if you're not prepared to do the time/fine...
Actually Bro, that is the answer I kind of expected. Thats why I choose to speed where I do... The location doesn't allow for any LEO's to be secreted away anywhere and late at night, you litteraly have 7+ miles of empty Highway. Obviously if I managed to see lights behind me I am ready to accept the responsibility for my actions. I was mostly curious as to what kind of reaction I should expect. The Cops down here are pretty laid back when it comes to sportbikes, they have a No Pursuit policy in place in regards to sport bikes and from what I have seen if your in the right area they tend to look the other way. Flashed by a county Sheriff Saturday afternoon at about 130mph out in the country, he was sitting back off the road about 50 feet. Traffic was pretty lite but I hit the hooks and looked behind me and he didn't even move, he eyeballed me but didn't budge...

Having said all of that, I do try real hard to pick and choose my venue's when I am in the mood for some speed.

What about going 10-15 over the speed limit in traffic for safety's sake? I feel it is a lot safer for me not to present a stationary target during rush hour... Think that argument would hold any water? Seems to work thus far...

I don't know about jail but here in GA 30mph over means court date.

Just to be clear, I'm no saint, hence my handle on these boards.  I have my favorite "warp zones" out in the country.  I'm no hypocrite in that I know damn well that I'm putting others at risk when I speed, there is no 100% safe scenario.  However, I also do it with the clear understanding that I'm breaking the law and expect to get pinched if caught.  Don't do the crime if you're not prepared to do the time/fine...
Sure, I understand and "appreciate" this philosophy, however, I do think it is rediculous when police hide in remote areas where no one is at risk just to increase revenue. I was stopped for speeding in Perioria AZ. There was a speed trap set up at the base on a long straightaway in the middle of the desert on a downhill right where the speed limit changes from 65 to 55. There was not another car in sight, weather was perfect, and visibility was probably a few miles. I find it sickening that police feel the "need" to set up speed traps like this when much greater "public safety" could be gained by have those offices in the city/town looking for criminals.

Just as employees do what their bosses tell them, patrolmen do what their chiefs tell them, and guess who the chief reports to? City council / county commissioners. Direct your cannon fire at the General in a battle, not the footsoldier...

Councilman / mayor : dictates what the political needs are at the time and tells the chief "what areas need increased safety patrolling" (a.k.a. where they feel it okay to get more revenue for the city coffers to pay for their latest spending need).

Chief: tries to juggle the council's demands with the enforceability and practicality of the requests vs. the manpower at hand and other needs of the community...

Patrolman: takes the chief's (or the shift LT's) orders and does what he/she is told.

Oversimplified a bit? Sure. Still, you get the idea. Police don't usually run out to a remote area and sit there for hours because it's their idea of a fun way to spend their shift, dude. They'd much rather be cruisin' around seeing people and being seen...

If you've never done a ride-a-long and if you community allows them, I highly recommend doing an evening shift or two sometime. I won't be a 100% exact same taste, but you'll notice things you never knew and get a bit more appreciation...

Speakn' of the Law......  I got pulled over on my 00' Busa by an officer yesterday.  I was doing nothing wrong, just cruising around.  I figured it was just a routine check or maybe a power trippn' officer.  
  Neway, He pulled me over and said to me, "Is that a Hayabusa?".  I said, "Yes Sir!".  Then he started asking me about the bike like it was a legend or something....  He was tellin' me that he read articles and stuff on them and was wondering if it was really the fastest and smoothest motorcyle ever made..  (He used the word "cadillac").  Well of course I told him in my opinion that it is the BADDEST and best all around  motorcycle ever produced!!  We talked for about 10 - 15min. but I just thought it was funny that I was just pulled over so that officer could check out my BUSA... IT TRULY IS THE BADDEST BIKE EVER!
smile.gif
:

Speakn' of the Law......  I got pulled over on my 00' Busa by an officer yesterday.  I was doing nothing wrong, just cruising around.  I figured it was just a routine check or maybe a power trippn' officer.  
  Neway, He pulled me over and said to me, "Is that a Hayabusa?".  I said, "Yes Sir!".  Then he started asking me about the bike like it was a legend or something....  He was tellin' me that he read articles and stuff on them and was wondering if it was really the fastest and smoothest motorcyle ever made..  (He used the word "cadillac").  Well of course I told him in my opinion that it is the BADDEST and best all around  motorcycle ever produced!!  We talked for about 10 - 15min. but I just thought it was funny that I was just pulled over so that officer could check out my BUSA... IT TRULY IS THE BADDEST BIKE EVER!
smile.gif
:
Well, I suppose it could have been worse, but that is a no-no to pull people over who aren't doing anything wrong.

my philosphy is pretty simple, if you are going to speed, SPEED. Dont pu$$y-foot it at 20mph over the speed limit, I mean REALLY speed. Most cop cars can only do about 130mph, and it takes them forever to get that fast. If you are going to get on it hard, stay on it. Dont go 160mph for 2 minutes then ride at 45mph for the next half hour in a straight line, chances are your going to jail.

I have FULL respect for police officers, but damnit, I like going fast. And I'd much rather be cut down in a hellstorm of gunfire then go back to the big house

grim.gif

I'll see ya on the battlefield soldier

Mike

That may be true about there cars but that radio that they all have seem to be able to go faster than and busa can dream of going. But hey if speed is what you like and you would rather run then stop. Then I will watch TV more to make sure I catch the chase when they post it all over the TV. I guess it goes back to the old saying "Whatever scrables your eggs"

Pimpbike
iamwithstupid.gif

"I'd much rather be cut down in a hellstorm of gunfire then go back to the big house."

Just keep shakin' that bush.
smile.gif

Pardon the voice of sensibility, but have any of you looked into the cost of track time and arranged with some buddies to go and split the cost? That's our favorite thing to do, for obvious reasons. Now, the ultimate would be to somehow worm our way onto the Indy500 track, but I don't see that ever happening...they're kinda busy...

Back