High speed question? How many of you have?

Hi,
On my previous stage 1 Stealth Busa K3 I hit 180 on the clock on a regular basis , going to work, at 600 hrs, so I sold it and bought a Twin Cam GSA BM.

Big mistake, I now own a K11 and take my time!!

Stretch

This one of many things I add into my decision of when I decide I am going to twist the wrist WOT in 6th gear.

See, if you had a blue busa you wouldn't need 6th gear for those speeds, 4th would do. :rofl:

I am almost 40 years old

What you talkin bout Willis? Come on! :laugh:

See, if you had a blue busa you wouldn't need 6th gear for those speeds, 4th would do. :rofl:

Remind me to set your speedo healer back from +20% next time I see you this is getting to your head.:poke:

What you talkin bout Willis? Come on! :laugh

Not Fo Teee Yet Old man I am still a young whipper snapper

I've hit 150 once on the Busa, just so I could say I have in these type of threads. 100 is a different story all together, but I do it on sections of road where I'm pretty certain I won't have to be making any panic stops. The times I've had a problem arise at 70-90mph, the hard on the brakes served the purpose of buying me enough time for the car to get across the lane, oncoming to pass so I could go around said car that pulled out, the deer to run off the road, etc.. Not a need for a complete stop, just a couple extra seconds to sort things out and evade.
Busa is a heavy bike, and it takes more time to slow it than a 600 or such, feel this more at the track than anywhere. Have had several instances there where this was pointed out to me. Got it slowed, but I have to admit, there has been a split second of doubt here and there.:laugh:

Try this simple little test to satisfy your own curiosity. Mark a spot on your favorite high speed road to begin your braking zone. You can set a rock on the shoulder if there are no natural markers. Try it first at 100 mph by closing the throttle (Not applying the brake) at your marker and then squeezing the lever coming to a complete stop as quickly as you feel comfortable. Then, walk the stopping distance and count the steps. Now add 10 mph to each run until you reach 150 MPH (Or whatever speed you regularly ride) and continue to count the steps. It will be an eye opening experience.

Advice to do this on a high speed road, meaning a public street, several times up to 150mph.?
Surely you are not serious?
I'm not an angel, but advice as above on a public forum is a little left of my responsibilities.

Jelly, he's got some places out there in the Pacific Northwest with 30 miles of straight road, flat as a pancake with brand spanking new asphal;, not a car, house, mailbox (or leo) within 20 miles - I know because I've seen it. While I rarely see that kind of 'privacy' around here in the South, I could see it being pulled off in a few places out west...I would have agreed with you 100% until I saw this for myself.

I think we rode like 40 miles in a straight line, made a 60 degree turn and rode 40 more miles in a straight line; I think I saw 2 cars...from 2 miles away....

Highest I have done a quick stop from is 120 which isn't fun and a very long distance stopping safely. Hence, why I do not top 80 on public roads hardly ever anymore and I'm a young 23 years old. I have done my 160+mph runs and feel I have had my fill and wish to stay healthy and alive.

I saw that post too about the 150 every day. I either call BS or he's in for rude awakening one day.

I practice braking and evasion every time I get on a bike I have not ridden before, and every time I change the tires. I commute a lot, and 99% of the time I have to do emergency braking is when travelling under 100kmh or 60 mph. I know I can stop from 100kmh within 40 meters (130 feet) on normal dry tarmac.

I saw that post too about the 150 every day. I either call BS or he's in for rude awakening one day.

This is how things get twisted. Some people have poor comprehension of what they read and make comments of what there mind interprets followers just jump on and comment to it. As quoted from my response "Most every time I ride I hit 150+" Keyword here is Most

This is how things get twisted. Some people have poor comprehension of what they read and make comments of what there mind interprets followers just jump on and comment to it. As quoted from my response "Most every time I ride I hit 150+" Keyword here is Most

I do that on my 600. The Busa, no idea, no time to look at the speedo, everything looks like starwars.:laugh:

Just joking, lighten up, if you feed bait, people take it and run with it, enjoy the fun.

Well either way. Even if he does it Most of the time it is still not smart. I hope he does it on desolate roads. There is no poor comprehension going on there :laugh:

I do that on my 600. The Busa, no idea, no time to look at the speedo, everything looks like starwars.:laugh:

Just joking, lighten up, if you feed bait, people take it and run with it, enjoy the fun.

Its all good Jelly, Russell seems to have trouble reading, this isnt his first time misunderstanding comments to a thread, he posted many times on a my other post about the EBAY scam and Joe Rocket Replica jacket, but still has his know it all attitude telling people they need to read and giving advice to others even though he is younger then most. Just gets old, not sure if its a comprehension issue or just quick to write before reading carefully.
I respect all opinions to a topic but when it gets re-worded / twisted some will follow and thats how a topic will be uninterrupted.

Its all good Jelly, Russell seems to have trouble reading, this isnt his first time misunderstanding comments to a thread, he posted many times on a my other post about the EBAY scam and Joe Rocket Replica jacket, but still has his know it all attitude telling people they need to read and giving advice to others even though he is younger then most. Just gets old, not sure if its a comprehension issue or just quick to write before reading carefully.
I respect all opinions to a topic but when it gets re-worded / twisted some will follow and thats how a topic will be uninterrupted.

:rofl: I figured you were going at me because of the eBay wound still being open.

Advice to do this on a high speed road, meaning a public street, several times up to 150mph.?
Surely you are not serious?
I'm not an angel, but advice as above on a public forum is a little left of my responsibilities.

You missed the point Jelly. If you are riding 150 mph in downtown Nashville on a regular basis, then go downtown Nashville and practice stopping from 150. I'm not sure there is a place in Tennessee that one can safely do highspeed runs, eh? The point is, whatever your fun Sunday morning ride consists of no matter what the speed, be sure not to forget to keep your braking skills polished. You don't get to pick and choose where you'll need them! :thumbsup:

OMG, a novice with an attitude! :laugh:

I could write a book and call it "The Novice with an attitude"! It's tough to get 25 riders together without at least one in the bunch.

Practicing emergency stops at 150MPH is not something I perform. Can you really prevent an accident at those types of speeds on a motorcycle by hard braking?

A statement such as the one above leaves no doubt the novice catagory is where you belong! The skills you have and the skills you THINK you have are most likely two different things! I have no doubt you know how to go fast. Most everyone on this forum can do the same. But like you, it's the rare guy that has any interest in mastering the brakes. Which by the way, is the most powerful component of your bike.

I've heard of people doubting my health ever since I bought my brand new GSXR back in 1990 and still hear it today from ignorant people so your concerns are little to no interest or worries to me.

With ignorant people telling you this for your entire 25 year motorcycling career tells me you are "MOST likely a danger to yourself as well as the riders around you! My guess is most well schooled riders avoid you, eh?

And I can tell you this with confidence, you may have 25 years under your belt but in reality you have one year of experience 25 times over. There is a difference.

I love this quote by Benjiman Franklin "He who teaches himself hath a fool for a master"!

Back