High speed question? How many of you have?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I recently came across this post:

Most every time I ride I hit 150+
I bought the Hayabusa mainly for its power.
So if other manufactures are going to make more powerful
motorcycles then the Hayabusa I may consider them as a future
purchase.
I think the main reason why people own Hayabusa because it was the most powerful
motorcycle at one time. Things have changed for 2012.

which I found troublesome.

If this guy keeps this up on a regular basis, what would you think his odds are of reaching social security age?

While giving thought to this individual's regular testing of the "Law of average" I realized that over the years I have read many, many posts of individuals who were happy to anounce speeds on public roads in excess of 150 mph but never once have I read a post "I went for a ride today and practiced emergency stops from 150 mph"!

So my point/question is: How may of you (If any) have ever practiced emergency stops from high speed? And is there any one person who can honestly state how much time/distance it takes YOU (Not an expert rider who tests motorcycles for the magazines or manufacturers) to bring your bike to a complete stop from 150 MPH?

Try this simple little test to satisfy your own curiosity. Mark a spot on your favorite high speed road to begin your braking zone. You can set a rock on the shoulder if there are no natural markers. Try it first at 100 mph by closing the throttle (Not applying the brake) at your marker and then squeezing the lever coming to a complete stop as quickly as you feel comfortable. Then, walk the stopping distance and count the steps. Now add 10 mph to each run until you reach 150 MPH (Or whatever speed you regularly ride) and continue to count the steps. It will be an eye opening experience.

My point is, if you have a habbit of riding at a buck twenty, you should practice and be aware of your ability to stop from that speed. If you are the guy in the post, you should practice stopping from a buck fifty. I work with truck loads of street riders from all walks of life every season. The lion's share of these folks have little problem with twisting the throttle but it's the very rare exception that can utilize the brakes efficiently (Less than one out of a hundred). Braking is a learned skill just like steering, both of which takes practice to become efficient.

The throttle will never save your life. However, your ability to steer around an object or hazzard as well as your ability to shed speed at a maximum rate can and will save you from a crash at least once in your riding career! Most likely multiple times. :beerchug:

While I will admit to having tried it once or twice, I don't feel the need to prove that the bike will go 150 every time I ride. Just not worth it especially around here just too crowded.

Tuf, a couple of my riding buddies and I have done this many times, and it gives a great perspective of distance traveled. I cannot give you hard numbers for distance as we use signs and other roadside objects as markers.
Easily way over a football field, and we do this more of a ballpark reference anyway, as we weren't concerned with exact footage. Just a rough guesstimate of how much road is needed to stop, and it's alot.
Cosidering at 60mph you're traveling about 88' per second, looking back at stopping distance from 150 to top speed is staggering.
We also have several 2 mile plus straight strecthes with no entrances, exits, driveways, and zero traffic through most of the day. We are endangering no one other than ourselves.
This is also a rare occurance anymore too, me/we don't rip high speed passes very often. We mainly play on a dead end(no traffic) or run some curves...around the speed limit:whistle:
My dad always told me "Anybody can go fast, but you better be able to stop, and maintain control doing it.":thumbsup:

I just stick to the posted limits... any faster than that and I get scared.

Only tried an emergency stop once, not to long after I got the busa I was cutting a fool, about 160mph, I saw a car pull out from a side road and I thought I had plenty of time to slow down, wrong! That car big really quick! We have a drag strip in pickwick TN were the shut down is ruff and short, I trap 117mph there and its a frigging hand full to get slowed down!

I just stick to the posted limits... any faster than that and I get scared.

Yes wise one! But the problem you have is everything you've got is "Old and full of Wrinkles"! :whistle:

In the Sunshine State of FL going 100mph is what you do when you drive to work on a regular basis. :laugh:

at 150mph you travel 220' per second. how long is your reaction time? my guess is most people would travel 100' before the ever touched a brake. I too have opened it up a couple of times but 95% of my riding (on the streets) is at around the 75mph mark. at that speed on our twisties you are leaning the bike over but not dragging knees and have plenty left over to react to something unexpected.

I don't believe Donn meant it the way it came across. I've rode with him quite a bit and it's not just out and constantly peg it to mid triple digits, now I'm sure are some but how many can honestly say when they go out for a nice ride on some twisty stuff and come upon a nice empty stretch of straight road and doesn't get in it and open her up a little? ??? What's it take, maybe 7-8 seconds to hit 150 from a 60-70 roll on? But I understand your point of view also, your covering a lot of distance in that few seconds also.

I'm not defending or saying it's right any way shape or form. Dangerous? yes Stupid? Lots of people say just riding a bike is. Have a death wish? Honestly I think just riding in town dealing with other drivers in close proximity is more dangerous. Someone can blow a light, or not see you stopped there and take you out in a split second.

I know that's a little off the braking distance topic you are talking about, but I was just going off your statement:

If this guy keeps this up on a regular basis, what would you think his odds are of reaching social security age?

I would say better than average if any common sense is used compared to an rider just commuting back and forth to work or riding on a interstate setting in traffic.

No matter what the circumstance, as long as you understand every time you throw a leg over the bike you not only take your life into your own hands but also put it into the hands of all the other drivers/riders around you.

Point is, most(not all) of us do it at some time or another and some more than others. Some people do stuff that ones that peg the speedo everytime out would never even try because they think it too dangerous or reckless. ???

I scan the area first to minimize the road hazards before I do anything like that. A lil twist for couple of secs and let go, back to safe speeds.
I have stop from 150 to 0 on the drag strip, does that count? :laugh:

While I will admit to having tried it once or twice, I don't feel the need to prove that the bike will go 150 every time I ride. Just not worth it especially around here just too crowded.

And look at this guy. He loves to jump out of perfectly nice flying airplanes taking that 50/50 chance when he pulls the chord of "Good Chute" or "Oh Sh*t" :rofl:

Just yanking your chain Keith. I'm still up for finally giving it a shot.:thumbsup:

I can remember very vividly when I was tracking my Busa how difficult it was to get the big girl to slow down! Yep, I loved taking that last left hander onto the straight and pinning the throttle, only to go OH CRAP going into turn 1.

100 percent agree tuf. Go does not take a lot of effort on the Busa....whoa is a whole different story.

Good thread - and raises the question how many people practice any emergency maneuvers, not just stopping from 150? I bet the answer is pretty low. For example, shedding speed in corners? That is one area where I always see people screw up, just because they get no practice. Everyone tries to be real smooth through corners, but never practice using the brakes. When I ride alone I practice this stuff all the time, and make a note to do stuff like brake through a turn.

I do plp on a regular basis throughout the riding season. I always work on the fundamentals at the beginning of the season. It's not done at 150mph and probably won't be. My times at those speeds are very very far and few between.

Most times I have been over 150 was on a open straight road with no entrance roads and fields on both sides - I have upgraded brakes with ECB pads and Kevlar lines -1st rule to going fast be able to stop The upgrades made a big differance

Yes, That was me....
I am almost 40 years old and been riding motorcycles since I was 15 and drag raced them many years making well over 1000 passes down a drag strip on street bikes, supergas and progas dragbikes. I've heard of people doubting my health ever since I bought my brand new GSXR back in 1990 and still hear it today from ignorant people so your concerns are little to no interest or worries to me.
As Rollin20z's stated I don't run 150+ every where. With common sense and past experiences I decide where I am going to reach speeds of excess of 150MPH. If you are unsure of where you can obtain these types of speeds then most likely you will fail in a short amount of time with serious injury or death.
Practicing emergency stops at 150MPH is not something I perform. Can you really prevent an accident at those types of speeds on a motorcycle by hard braking? This one of many things I add into my decision of when I decide I am going to twist the wrist WOT in 6th gear.
I enjoy life, I enjoy speed, I have no children or dependents relying on me so its not a selfish act if I were to fail during a high speed run on a motorcycle. Many are injured and killed in life doing something they don't love and will never have another chance at life, many are spectators and watch other do what they love, I will not leave this world saying "I wish I did________..
Motorcyclist have many reasons why they enjoy the open road. Some enjoy cruising and never come close to reaching legal speed limits, some enjoy the plush long cross country rides out in the weather setting there journey, some enjoy being a weekend race warrior at there local track, some enjoy free styling on there bikes, some enjoy canyon carving on some of there local back roads some just enjoy flat out straight line runs to see if they can break there last top speed.
So asking a motorcyclist to practice quick stops in excess of 150MPH is like asking a skydiver to practice if his chute fails to open or Jeb Corbliss to practice with a ripped wing suit. If I have to make a quick stop at 150MPH I just hope I am wearing some good leathers and the asphalt is wet if not I will see you in the next part.
Since I enjoy speed and performance so much that's the main reason I bought the Hayabusa.

Back