High speed cruising

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
This post isn't earth shaking but I thought I would share the experience.
Yesterday I was cruising through the Sierras on I/S 80 at about 75-80 mph. I'm listening to "classic vinyl" station on XM, taking a phone call from my daughter on Autocom.....and generally floating along in full leathers. Suddenly up next to me comes a Harley chopper with 1)ape hangers 2)straight pipes 3)a 1%er wearing only a skull cap helmet, leather vest with full mc gang patches(one of the two west coast biggies).
He looks over at me WITH NO EYE PROTECTION, nods....then goes to full throttle....the sound was like when you realize your Briggs & Stratten lawnmower was only at 3/4 throttle so you "open it up". When he busted 90 mph the 18" leather tassles coming off his handlebar ends started violently beating his naked neo nazi forearms.
A few miles later we got off the same offramp and at the bottom, he looked over at me, nodded, as if to say, "we both have blindingly fast bikes, don't we bro".
I nodded back and, for a brief second, actually felt a tiny flash of brotherhood.
Doyle

1% are really not that bad. I grew Up Around them and my Wife's Uncle was the Leader of one of them. They hate the Metric bikes but somehow Respect the BUSA :dunno:

PS: "Your a bad Arse Doyle and I Respect You..........I am just Gladd you Didn't Piss him Off " :whistle:

Robert, I bet I was more heavily armed than him, and quite sure he couldn't catch me!

Doyle, I wonder what his take of the encounter was. It would be interesting to get inside his head. Anyways, two opposing worlds for sure with a common denominator. Two guys on two wheels enjoying THE RIDE.

I don't think he had to worry about Pee'ing him off He was alone, I grew up around a lot of them too. Not saying they're all punks, but alone they are a LOT different.

The funny thing is, is that you were just lolly gaggin, and he was balls to the wall all out.

Where I live, the HD crowd usually won't even look at a Jap bike. They pretend we're invisible.

"jap bikes are invisible" here as well. EXCEPT the bus. not many people miss that.and when you get more than one of them together, you cant stop without gathering a small fan club.

Here if we go into to the city to the local bike hang out. Jap bikes normally park along one side facing the road and all the Cruisers and harleys park in the middle. Now most of the japbikes are kids on gixxers and stuff and the wife and i really dont have much in comon with them. So we park in the middle. I am the only sport bike in that group. What I have noticed is I get completely shunned by the cruiser people and Harley owners, But the guys who support the red and white always talk to me about what the busa is. I don't have much time for gang members but they don't treat me like garbage.

Doyle, I wonder what his take of the encounter was. It would be interesting to get inside his head. Anyways, two opposing worlds for sure with a common denominator. Two guys on two wheels enjoying THE RIDE.

I was wondering what he was thinking too, Russ. We all know some v twins are beautiful bikes, some great people ride Harleys. Another fact, however, is that there is a portion of Harley guys that don't know, don't understand and look down at all other bikes, including metric cruisers. They have no perception of the greater motorcycle community. Sometimes uneducated elitism angers me, othertimes I understand it for what it is......being uneducated, so it's stupid for me to be angry at those that substitute machismo for knowledge.
Let's just allow people to be who they are and enjoy what we have!

Doyle

When I had my Restaurants, they would come in when we had the BIG HARLEY RALLY ! Some of the nicest customers we had, along with being GREAT TIPERS for the Girls. When the Girls saw them rollling up they were like :cheerleader: YES, YES, YES ! They would kid me about my age and my Iron Butt thing and I would kid them about their CAST IRON STOMACHS :laugh: . Geezzzzzzzzzz, I've never seen people eat so much chill, peppers (thats HOT PEPPERS 2 types, GREEN AND RED), HOT SAUCE and onions on mounds of Cheese Fries :thumbsup: . It was enough to make everyone in the Restaurant CRY :cry:

1% are really not that bad. I grew Up Around them and my Wife's Uncle was the Leader of one of them. They hate the Metric bikes but somehow Respect the BUSA :dunno:

PS: "Your a bad Arse Doyle and I Respect You..........I am just Gladd you Didn't Piss him Off " :whistle:
When I accidentally step in the stuff you have to scrape off your shoe with a stick....I agree, the 1% I miss and end up leaving on isn't so bad :laugh:

Never know, he may also own a sportbike.

I know a few riders that have more than 1 style of bike in their stable.

Back