High Pitch Tone

OB_ryder

Registered
My bike just started emitting a tone intermittently. I hear it sometimes after shutting the engine off. I can hear it sometimes when the engine is running. After finishing a ride at 5:00pm yesterday, I went out to the garage at 1am and heard it. The sound seems to come from inside the gas tank. The pitch is steady and fairly high, maybe above 2000 hz. What's going on?

Mine does it too. It is venting fumes from the tank as the fuel warms from engine heat after you shut it off. I don't know where the noise is coming from exactly, a seal, the cap, or something. I'm sure it wasn't an intentional feature of the fuel filler design. It's a quirk. I just figure my baby is talking to me. :)

I've experienced this an awful lot in other bikes....but not the 'busa yet. It's caused by the tank trying to "breathe". Opening the fuel cap stops it immediately.

It only happens on really hot days and I guess is caused by excess pressure inside the tank. if you press the sides of the tank you can produce a different note.

I'll try venting the tank when I hear the noise. I hope that tank pressure is the culprit but... there is something about the tone... a certain quality...that just doesn't seem to be mechanical. It sounds like an electronically generated tone. Anyway, I'll vent the tank and see what happens.

Yeah, just the tank venting. You'll find that it does it more, and quicker,when the tank is close to empty. It's normal.

Same sound here. Mine started doing it at 3150 miles (last Saturday), and today (3225) as I parked in my driveway and shut the engine off. As soon as you use the key to open the gas cap it goes away. It never happened before.

Back