High Mileage Maintenance

HiYaBruceA

Registered
I have over 42,000 miles on my '04. Working out of town each week makes me wonder how that happened. I think the thing takes itself out while I'm gone. Anyway, what should I be looking to inspect, adjust or replace at that many miles. I have Brock's top end kit, which was installed last summer, as well as Brock's street megaphone, air box mod, PCIIIR.

Should I be concerned about wheel bearings, front fork, rear shock at 42,000 miles?

(Sorry, this should have gone in the Maintenance section.)

Last edited:
hey I don't know how to post it but go to maintenance and do it yourself and look at my post about 20,000 mile maintenance someone posted the manual thing in there.

Make sure you check everything over carefully. You just had the motor worked so the coolant system should be good for another year as well as the throttle bodies, idle, etc., but the brake and clutch fluid is called out as every two years. The wheel and yoke bearings along with cush drive rubbers would be good things to check. I'm sure you've changed the sprockets and chain and kept up with the engine oil and filter. You didn't say how many miles you have on the kit, but the plugs might need to be changed. As directed above check out the on-line manuals :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I'm going to put together a list of items and have the shop inspect/adjust/replace as necessary once the riding season is over. As well as these 'busas are built I see no reason why my '04 shouldn't last another 5 years.

The '04 is in the shop this week for state inspection and maintenance and yes it did need new wheel bearings. As I posted elsewhere, it had also become unrideable after 6,000 rpm's due to stuttering and bogging. Turns out it also needs a new fuel pump.............aargh they are sooooo expensive.

One thing that commonly gets over looked is the head bearings on the triple tree. Scar posted up on his Gen II that they showed wear and needed replacement. Not that hard of an item to get to, just patience. Since we are on bearings, re-lube all your wheel bearings, check your sprockets, chain both for wear, tension, and stretch. Look over your vacuum lines and change out your radiator fluid and brake and clutch fluid as well and check your brakes and brake lines. You may want to consider replacing if not upgrading your rubber lines for braided steel lines. While this last item is a mod, Suzuki does give a life time period of three years on the rubber lines. A few of the sponsors on the sight have great deals on new lines.

Good luck!

Back