High Idle

Corey Mathery

Registered
Ok, I have a 2003, and everything is very smooth and works great on the bike. But I did have a few questions about my idle.

The Bike idles around 1800 on normal idle, which I know is quite high. Then its high idle is around 3500-3600. This is all when the bike is warmed up, not cold.

So my question is. Will keeping the idle at 1800 cause any issues? I know that it uses more gas, and generates more heat while sitting still. But to be honest, I actually like the high idle for stop a go traffic/taking off from a dead stop at red lights.

I just want to know if this will put unnecessary wear on anything, such as the clutch or transmission? I am also curious if anyone else has their bike set to a higher idle.

Also, I will mention, when I first started driving the bike, it did idle around 1k. I am assuming the screw got loosened up on the idle adjustment. Either that, or maybe the high idle lever cable is sticking a bit? If that is the case, I might need to check into that.

But I just want to hear y'alls thoughts, and any feedback would be appreciated. Also, bike is pretty much bone stock. It only has 8300 miles on it.

Don't think it will cause any actual issues, but mine runs/sounds/feels much smoother at 1100-1330.

So upon further investigation today, I noticed when I turned the wheel all the way to the left, it would rev up to about 2500. So I am assuming that is a cable issue? I also tested my High Idle Lever today, and noticed that my high idle is actually at 2900 instead of 3500 as I had thought.

So I am starting to think my high idle cable is sticking!

I did take her about 120 miles today, and rode just fine. So no problems elsewhere, just need to see what you all think about the higher revs when I turn my handle bars all the way to the left.

So upon further investigation today, I noticed when I turned the wheel all the way to the left, it would rev up to about 2500. So I am assuming that is a cable issue? I also tested my High Idle Lever today, and noticed that my high idle is actually at 2900 instead of 3500 as I had thought.

So I am starting to think my high idle cable is sticking!

I did take her about 120 miles today, and rode just fine. So no problems elsewhere, just need to see what you all think about the higher revs when I turn my handle bars all the way to the left.
Turning the bars to the extreme left or right should not change the idle.There is something wrong with where the cable is routed.
Rubb.

Your fast idle or throttle cable needs adjusting. My throttle cable was too.tight once and I had the same problem once

Turning the bars to the extreme left or right should not change the idle.There is something wrong with where the cable is routed.
Rubb.

Ok, so I probably need to loosen up my cable somewhere. Seems more like it would be my high idle cable, because this issue only came up after I used the high idle when it was cold one morning. I'll be checking into that soon. If any one else has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know! I appreciate all of the responses I have gotten so far!

Ok, so I probably need to loosen up my cable somewhere. Seems more like it would be my high idle cable, because this issue only came up after I used the high idle when it was cold one morning. I'll be checking into that soon. If any one else has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know! I appreciate all of the responses I have gotten so far!
Seems like u got it figured out,if it's raising when u turn the bars its usually the throttle cables need adjusting at the adjusters on the bars. There is a certain spec of free play they should have that im sure u kind find easily enough with the search bar. I'm not saying it isn't possible but ive never had a fast idle cable be the one to cause it. Id make sure there's freeplay in the throttle cables then pop the tank up and check at the throttle bodies.

Seems like u got it figured out,if it's raising when u turn the bars its usually the throttle cables need adjusting at the adjusters on the bars. There is a certain spec of free play they should have that im sure u kind find easily enough with the search bar. I'm not saying it isn't possible but ive never had a fast idle cable be the one to cause it. Id make sure there's freeplay in the throttle cables then pop the tank up and check at the throttle bodies.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will probably pop the tank up tomorrow and check everything out. Ill definitely check out as much as I can when I got everything open. Thanks!

Ok so I have an update!

I adjusted my idle, and took it for a ride. I seem to have it stabilized around 1100-1200 and my high idle is about 3000, which is much better! We will see if it creeps back up, as I ride longer.

Still having the handle bar issue, and it is my High Idle Cable. Video here:

Let me know what you guys think? Should I just leave it alone, or is it simple enough that I should try and fix it. When I checked the cable, with the bars all the way to the left. The cable is really tight, to the point where I can't actuate the High Idle Lever.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:
The cable is routed wrong. If it was right,it would not affect idle no matter what. Turn the bars,idle goes up,something is wrong.Adjusting it so that it doesn't creep up is not the answer. Every time you turn the bars left to lock it you are putting pressure on things that should not have pressure.Remove cable,re-route. Or not. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

The cable is routed wrong. If it was right,it would not affect idle no matter what. Turn the bars,idle goes up,something is wrong.Adjusting it so that it doesn't creep up is not the answer. Every time you turn the bars left to lock it you are putting pressure on things that should not have pressure.Remove cable,re-route. Or not. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

Yeah, I know that's what I need to do. I might have to do some reading in the manual, and see if I can find a video on how to do it properly. I would like to get it done, but I also don't want to mess anything up.

Yeah, I know that's what I need to do. I might have to do some reading in the manual, and see if I can find a video on how to do it properly. I would like to get it done, but I also don't want to mess anything up.
If nothing else disconnect the cable until you reroute it, last thing you need is making a turn and idle going up when not wanted. That could cause a really bad issue.

If nothing else disconnect the cable until you reroute it, last thing you need is making a turn and idle going up when not wanted. That could cause a really bad issue.

Thats a very good point, I am thinking about re routing it, where it doesn't go around the handle bars at all, maybe just have to go under the air box. Still doing some looking around at my options. Luckily, its basically Summer, so I don't really need it, if I do disconnect it.

the cable sheath must be able to follow the handlebars without being overstretched. That,s why it shouldn't be tied too much. If it is not the problem, you'll have to find an another path and reroute the cable

Ok guys, just did some wrenching today! Everything I was having issues with, is now fixed! I'll be taking it for a longer ride tomorrow. So we will see if anything else comes back into play. But as of right now, everything is running how it should.

So what I had to do with the Fast Idle cable, is run it down in between the tank mounts. I seem some other people on the forum suggest that for higher handle bars. And since I couldn't get my cable to work properly around my handlebars, then I went with that method. Seems to work, and actuate just fine! No more revving while turning the handlebars in either direction!

IMG_2363.JPG

Thanks to everyone for the tips, and I am glad to have it fixed!

Back