High Idle Issue

The_Punisher

Registered
Ive got an 02 Busa, Just hit 10k miles, All bolt ons have been installed and maintenance is up to date. Ive ridden three times in the past month or so due to a bit warmer weather (50 degrees in MI) First time no prob, second time once I got back into the garage I noticed the idle was up around 1800 rpm (normally idles around 1100-1200) and my high idle is set around 2000 rpm. With the normal idle up around 1800 rpm the high idle is around 2800 rpm. It doesn't do this until warmed up either. Cold starts it idles like it normally would. Ive read posts on here about adjusting the idle etc...but I feel that's just a temporary/half ass fix to whats really going on...any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks

I haven't turned it down, it doesn't idle high until its warmed up...Id think just turning down the screw is a band aid for the real problem?

It's a blown head gasket, and the radiator is leaking, and the chain is falling off, and the tires have flat spots. Do all those repairs and the high idle will go away. :whistle:

Seriously, try a simple adjustment, then get back to us with more information so we can assist you with your issues.

I adjusted the idle screw back down to 1200 after I went for a ride....Ill update you tomorrow if it remains at that Rpm after I take it out...
Thanks

+2. ... At 10k, shouldn't be an issue unless someone messed with it, but it would be a very good idea to take a look at them to see the slit and where they sit...

+2. ... At 10k, shouldn't be an issue unless someone messed with it, but it would be a very good idea to take a look at them to see the slit and where they sit...

Ive owned the bike since 6k...never touched the tb's. I can check them out though, what needs to be done to ensure they are synced?

So an update after a short ride...
I adjusted the idle down to 1200 rpm yesterday, rode around "normal" a bit today, seemed to be fine. On the way home though I was getting on it pretty good, got in the driveway and its back to its 1800 rpm idle...so it seems to me once I reach the higher RPMs is what is causing the high idle somehow...?

Maybe a silly question, but if your bike is at idle, can you turn the bars full travel without a change in RPM?

Also, when I do any sort of throttle adjustments, I rev the throttle a few times to see where it settles back out...

Maybe a silly question, but if your bike is at idle, can you turn the bars full travel without a change in RPM?

There is no change, Also after I adjusted the idle back down, I revved it several times and it stayed at the 1200 I set it to. It was only after I was really getting on it that it went back up

When you start the bike do you need to use the choke......you should.....a cold engine won't idle.
One thing i found on mine was that it needed a small drop of thread lock on the end of the idle adjuster screw as it had a habit of moving due to vibration.
My bro in law has an 00' model that went the other way and again it was adjuster movement from vibration....barely half a turn involved either way

I do use the choke when its cold, as you said, it barely idles without it...and with the choke on, it idles where it normally does...but once warmed up and ridden the idle gets high as well as the choke...

Back