High Idle Adjustment problems

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
My high idle started to become less effective and then dissappeared all together. I have looked up adjusting the high idle in the service manual and all it has is a lousy picture and "adjust high idle screw (#) to 3500rpm. It doesn't say which direction and how to easily access the screw. The screw I have identified as the high idle screw is between the throttle cables and the airbox in a very hard to reach location. The screw head faces the front of the bike and has a spring on it. I took off the r/s fairing to make it easier, but I was still unable to turn the screw counterclockwise. I was able to turn the screw clockwise 1 full turn with no effect at all. I didn't think screwing it clockwise would work just by looking at the way it works, but since I'm unable to turn the screw counterclockwise I tried it just to see what would happen.
Is there an easier way to get at the screw? I think the reason I can't turn the screw counterclockwise is because I can't get the screwdriver on at a good angle. It doesn't make a sense because if you turned the screw counterclockwise enough the screw should screw all the way out.
Anybody adjusted their high idle before, advise?
1zhelp.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118901437 -->

This is one of the hardest things i have done to my bike, it took alot of patients and a few bad words to make it work. If i remember correctly i ended up using a skew driver to get the angle on the screw and you will have to be careful how far you adjust it out. I have mine adjusted to approx 4500 rpm so that it acts as a poor mans cruise control but when i turn the bars all the way to the right the bike will idle up on its own (prob since the cable has to be so tight). Good luck and try some loctite to help it from backing back down.

This is one of the hardest things i have done to my bike, it took alot of patients and a few bad words to make it work. If i remember correctly i ended up using a skew driver to get the angle on the screw and you will have to be careful how far you adjust it out. I have mine adjusted to approx 4500 rpm so that it acts as a poor mans cruise control but when i turn the bars all the way to the right the bike will idle up on its own (prob since the cable has to be so tight). Good luck and try some loctite to help it from backing back down.
Verify which way you turned the screw. Counterclockwise or clockwise?

Charlesbusa,

Rafael from HB, prop up the fuel tank, tuning the screw clockwise will increase the idle speed. I was told by a mechanic to apply a thin coat of clear nail polish to act as mild form of Loctite.
Best.

Forget about the busa Charlie, you'll be too busy tearing up the roads on that 03 gixxer!!!
laugh.gif

i used an offset screwdriver i picked up at the autoparts store for $3 it has a phillips and flat blade both and they are at 90 dgeree angles made getting at the screw alot easier and it is turned counterclockwise.

i used an offset screwdriver i picked up at the autoparts store for $3 it has a phillips and flat blade both and they are at 90 dgeree angles made getting at the screw alot easier and it is turned counterclockwise.
Thanks, I was actually thinking of making a tool like that, guess it'd just be easier to hit it in home depot
tounge.gif

My high idle started to become less effective and then dissappeared all together.  I have looked up adjusting the high idle in the service manual and all it has is a lousy picture and "adjust high idle screw (#) to 3500rpm.  It doesn't say which direction and  how to easily access the screw.  The screw I have identified as the high idle screw is between the throttle cables and the airbox in a very hard to reach location.  The screw head faces the front of the bike and has a spring on it.  I took off the r/s fairing to make it easier, but I was still unable to turn the screw counterclockwise.  I was able to turn the screw clockwise 1 full turn with no effect at all.  I didn't think screwing it clockwise would work just by looking at the way it works, but since I'm unable to turn the screw counterclockwise I tried it just to see what would happen.
Is there an easier way to get at the screw?  I think the reason I can't turn the screw counterclockwise is because I can't get the screwdriver on at a good angle.  It doesn't make a sense because if you turned the screw counterclockwise enough the screw should screw all the way out.
Anybody adjusted their high idle before, advise?
1zhelp.gif
I had to adjust my idle speed a number of times to keep it high enough. Eventually it caused the throttle set-up to move too far for the fast idle cam to engage - effectively eliminating my fast idle altogether.

It was stil under warranty and a call to the dealership had them proclaiming this was very unusual and that I should bring the bike in. Turns out the throttle bodies were out of synch - apparently this is a forgone conclusion for one year old 'Busas in Tokyo...not sure why.

Another common cause of this is a faulty TPS, apparently...

Back