High Altitude horsepower blues

The Big Red One

Registered
I live at about a mile up in elevation...at a 3% loss of hp per 1000 feet I've lost 25-27 horsies. So basically I'm riding a ZX-11 horsepower wise....a smaller, lighter, better looking/handling one for sure...but still, not the power I paid for. When I go down in elevation to sea level (which I haven't got to do yet
sad.gif
) I should gain about the same hp as adding a full exhaust, pc, and cams at my elevation. I'm dying to feel THAT kinda diff. I hate the high altitude horsepower bandit, always robbing my machines of their true potential
mad.gif
Anybody thinking of moving wayy up in elevation think twice unless you don't mind losing alot of fun factor in your toys.
Any other high altitude riders I'd love to hear your input
wink.gif
smile.gif

The happy ending to this story tho, is we're moving to sea level by the end of the year.......yeeeeeehawwwww!!!!!

I live at about 2,000 ft over sea level (gps says 2436 ish in my driveway)... I just try not to think about it.. haha and it works good to explain my slow as 1/4 mile times. ..

damn.. 3%.. crap! .. thats like uhh.. 20-30hp!
even if that is a

I live at about 2,000 ft over sea level (gps says 2436 ish in my driveway)... I just try not to think about it.. haha and it works good to explain my slow as 1/4 mile times. ..

damn.. 3%.. crap! .. thats like  uhh.. 20-30hp!
even if that is a
Ego...if you can stand to look
wow.gif
wink.gif
, heres a link to a cool little proggy that will tell you exactly how much power you lose or gain at altitude- http://www.slowgt.com/Calc2.htm#BasAltCal , the 3 percent is standard for all engines...when you lose air density its all bad lol.

OooOOoOOo I likey the link..

But yeah, I dunno what the hell I'll do if I move back to Colorado. I've gotten spoiled being at Sea Level for the last 7 years....

Heck would prolly try to find a Turbo. I figure running about 3-5 lbs of boost should recover what altitude looses... Round about.

try a Ninja 250 at 7K' up riding double, I think I could have walked faster

What I use on the dyno
and with this it is real easy to get your MPH right on a track
lol, I saw this kid dressed up like a power ranger on a Ninja 250 the other day , he was in a full tuck riding thru a grocery store parking lot, I heard him wind out a gear and change gears before he got out of the 50 yard or so long lot. He couldn't have been doing more than 30mph.
smile.gif

He stopped at the end of the lot then turned around and did it again , probably trying to impress a few girls in the parking lot. He thought he was the sh!t. ha ha!
biggrin.gif
You had to see it to appreciate it.

I live at about a mile up in elevation...at a 3% loss of hp per 1000 feet I've lost 25-27 horsies. So basically I'm riding a ZX-11 horsepower wise....a smaller, lighter, better looking/handling one for sure...but still, not the power I paid for. When I go down in elevation to sea level (which I haven't got to do yet  
sad.gif
) I should gain about the same hp as adding a full exhaust, pc, and cams at my elevation. I'm dying to feel THAT kinda diff. I hate the high altitude horsepower bandit, always robbing my machines of their true potential  
mad.gif
Anybody thinking of moving wayy up in elevation think twice unless you don't mind losing alot of fun factor in your toys.
wink.gif

smile.gif

The happy ending to this story tho, is we're moving to sea level by the end of the year.......yeeeeeehawwwww!!!!!
actually at 3pm in Denver you would have had a  19.7% loss
so on a stock busa with 154 at the rear wheel you would only have had 123.7 that would be a 30HP loss

<!--EDIT|Johnnycheese
Reason for Edit: "can't add too late at night"|1120937553 -->

sad.gif
mad.gif
wink.gif

smile.gif

so on a stock busa with 154 at the rear wheel you would only have had 123.7 that would be a 30HP loss
wow.gif
wow.gif
say it aint so big cheese!!!....no no no....I'm not even ZX-11 material?....omg....I feel soo slowwww...but I still got me some big torque
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

wow.gif

wink.gif

great link thanks,just what i was looking for,this past winter i encountered the following conditions,45 degrees,30.50 baro 20 % r/h (the bike was a rocket) compared to average july conditions 80-95 degrees,70-100 % r/h 29.90 baro,big difference,thanks again

sad.gif
mad.gif
wink.gif

smile.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif
say it aint so big cheese!!!....no no no....I'm not even ZX-11 material?....omg....I feel soo slowwww...but I still got me some big torque  
wink.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
you'd still have more than the zx11, you forgot to correct his hp too.

wow.gif

wink.gif

sad.gif
mad.gif
wink.gif

smile.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif
wink.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
you'd still have more than the zx11, you forgot to correct his hp too.
You're right Cache...I did forget  
wink.gif
When the ZX-11 came out...they could only dream of having the power I still have at a mile high...so I guess it aint all bad...lol

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121023601 -->

wow.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

Back