HID with relay installation

geecare

Registered
2007 HID installation with a relay switch:

1. Remove center fairing and place on a secured soft pad. I used a foot ottoman for the bracket bending and wiring procedures. (pic 2851)

2. Replace old bulbs with new HID:
First, a "spacer" will be needed for a secured or snug fit of the low beam bulb. I used a piece of plexiglass, cut with a dremmel tool to size. I used a washer that came with the new HID bulb in a plastic contatiner. Traced it on the plexiglass from home depot and cut it out. The high beam bulb will need no modification, just remove the old and replace with the new. (pic 2856)

3. Mounting begins with a tape metal bracket that is included with the kit, some bending will be needed to attach to the upper screw on the light housing. Attach amp with included screw and lay as close to the fairing wall as possible, with an approximate 20 degrees from the light housing. A second bracket will be needed for the lower part of the amp. This was made with a construction bracing from home depot that I cut down to approx. 4 x .5 inch.
Once made, both brackets were secured and a dab of silicone was placed on the fairing wall under the connection of the two brackets at the bottom to prevent any vibrations. Silicone was also put around the low beam bulb rubber inlet, where the red and blue wires exits. Zip tie wires and ballast boxes out of the way. (pic 2858, 2860)

4. Impulse relay is wired in: To eliminate the confusion, I cut and combined the red wire to the yellow wire and then the yellow wire to the positive or white wire to the OEM plug and plugged it back into the OEM plug side. You will then be left with the cut red wire from the amp. Attach the orange wire to that. Black wire may be combined with the black/white wire and combine to the black wire going into the black side of the OEM plug. Blue loop and brown wire is not used. I shorten the brown wire, but did not touch the blue loop. Then zip tied everything down to a nice clean bundle. (pic 2861 2862)

5. Try it on! Partly secure center to bike and replug the main wiring harness. Turn key and check the lights. It will delay for approx. 24 secs, you should get a BEEZZZZZZ Flash! Daylight.

6. Resecure center fairing and thread relay out the right side, above right air duct. I just weather strip taped it to the top, in case if I need to adjust the delay time later. (pic 2863).

Good luck :please:

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

Nice job, hope it works out for ya. The TDR should eliminate problems with the low beam ballast down the road.

Hey Brian. How did I do? You can say this was a part II. to your install. With the slimmer units, the ballasts are usually digital. Hope this helps with the relay wiring confusion.

That looks great, I think I did a job this like that. I love the use of the DEI 528T time delay relay....

:thumbsup:

Hey Brian. How did I do? You can say this was a part II. to your install. With the slimmer units, the ballasts are usually digital. Hope this helps with the relay wiring confusion.

Looks good. I still don't understand why digital ballasts don't work with the delay relay or regular relays. I'll have to wait for a friend to get a digital ballast to try it out.

i believe those units he has are analog.....all the digital ballast i've seen have an external igniter box......BUT i could be wrong. but I have only SEEN digital w/external igniters

i believe those units he has are analog.....all the digital ballast i've seen have an external igniter box......BUT i could be wrong. but I have only SEEN digital w/external igniters

Hmm. Not sure. Mine have separate boxes too, but I didn't think mine were digital. ...Trying to figure out why your time delay didn't work.

Last edited:
Hmm. Not sure. Mine have separate boxes too, but I didn't think mine were digital. ...Trying to figure out why your time delay didn't work.

alot of the old analogs had the external igniters due to technology at the time, but now with the ultra slim digital ballasts they don't have enough room to tie the igniters in internally.

Thanks Kevin. I called the HID store and Frank confirmed that they were indeed digital. Not sure how I can make sure for myself, however, from the horses mouth I suppose?

Thanks Kevin. I called the HID store and Frank confirmed that they were indeed digital. Not sure how I can make sure for myself, however, from the horses mouth I suppose?

Now that's gonna bother me! I tried again to wire them up to my delay timers and I got the same problem I had before. The timers work on my analog kit, but not my digital kit. I wonder if it has anything to do with them being 55w kits. Man this is seriously now going to bug the **** out of me. Where did you get them? How much? Who makes them? And are they 35 or 55w kits?

Again, nice job on your install, but I was just looking it over andsomething occured to me. If you ever have a problem with your HID's, it's gonna suck to get to them. I think i like the idea of mounting them to the intake tube alot better for ease of access. Mainly because I, unfortunately, have had problems with mine and have had to replace 2 bulbs and 1 ballast. And i think alot of it was due to the double fire.

Amendment to this reply, I overlooked the external igniter boxes next to each side of the headlight.....oops. And still, congrats on getting it too work. I may try it again another day, but I think i'm just going to leave mine wired into a switch.

I used a relay so I wouldn't have a load on my switch I installed to turn the hid on and off. I like to be able to turn the lighte on and off. Not a need just a want.

I suppose, this why we thought of using a timer or a separate switch, for we don't need to pull the gauges off to change bulbs alot later than sooner? :beerchug:

Back