HID problems.  Help diagnose psls

rays06busa

Registered
Installed a 8000k hid set on the Busa. Install was very easy. however when I turn on the power, the bulb flickers for a few seconds and goes out. Ballast has a buzzing sound coming from it, and when the headlight goes out the buzz from the ballast goes away. I'm hoping you guys with HID kits can help me out, or do you think it's a faulty kit.

The noise you hear from the ballast is normal.

Have you double checked every connection going to the ballast?

(BigGeorge @ Jun. 10 2007,07:20) The noise you hear from the ballast is normal.

Have you double checked every connection going to the ballast?
Yep. I re-checked all connections several times. I'm thinking that it is a faulty ballast.

You ballast doing it`s job, bulb won`t stay on. with 90% possibility its the bulb.

Also check your bulb wires. Put them as far as possible from each other.

Is the engine running?

These take a lot of juice to start and the voltage will probably be too low if you're running off the battery alone, especially if you try the high and low beams at the same time.

(Narcissus @ Jun. 10 2007,12:34) Is the engine running?

These take a lot of juice to start and the voltage will probably be too low if you're running off the battery alone, especially if you try the high and low beams at the same time.
HID should run from 7-16 Volts. Good battery + running engine might help.

Put your battery on a chrger for a while. Start the bike while letting the lights shine.

When I replaced my old set with the McColloughs they did the same thing. My low beam was fine....then put on the high beam and after about 2 minutes it started strobing and went out. Then the low beam did the same thing.

I put it on my tender for a day then started the bike and the lights work fine. I just drained the battery too low to run the HID's.

(Narcissus @ Jun. 10 2007,11:34) Is the engine running?

Nope. Didn't have the engine running....and the switch was on hi beam also. Started the bike to let the battery charge for about 5 minutes but light still won't come on.

Charge your battery,if that doesnt help,you need a new bulb.Alway have ther bike running when powering up the HID's.

(rays06busa @ Jun. 10 2007,17:19)
(Narcissus @ Jun. 10 2007,11:34) Is the engine running?

Nope. Didn't have the engine running....and the switch was on hi beam also. Started the bike to let the battery charge for about 5 minutes but light still won't come on.
I'd put it on a charger. At idle, I don't think you are actually charging very much.

I could be mistaken, however.

Even so, 5 minutes isn't very long to charge that battery up much.

Charge it over night.

I have read on here that the charging system does not start until around 4500 rpm's.

Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions. Went out and bought a charger late last night. Let it charge overnight. Fired the bike up this morning and I'm getting the same results.

Someone mentioned firing up the HIDs after the bike has been started. I guess I'll need a relay or something because when you turn the key on, the HID are already trying to light up before you are able to start the bike.

I do not have a relay on my 06.

I know you said you checked your connections, but make sure they are pushed in all the way in on the plugs and that the metal is covered. I put some electrical tape on my low beam plug because there was some metal on the blade plug showing...just to be sure of no arching.

Hope it works out for you. Don't get too frustrated we are here to help in any way we can.
beerchug.gif

OK guys, I received the new kit the company sent out and installed it exactly the same as the other (same kit) and all is well now. I didn't troubleshoot with the old kit but I think the bulb was defective. Thanks again guys.

Back