HID Oddities

OldMan

Registered
I have had my HID kits installed for a couple months, both high and low and have observed the following odd behaviour:

- When the key is turned to the on position, if I don't let the gauge cluster cycel through all the functions and attempt to start the bike the clock resets. However if I turn the key on and wait, the clock is good.

- The other day, while the bike was idling my son flicked the pass button quickly several times and that sent the gauges in action, everytime he hit the high beam the gauges would jump up and down!

- once I left the key in the on position for a couple of minutes and when I shut it off the LCD panel still displayed the settings (Gear selection, etc...) and the analog gauges were stuck at 1000 RPM and speed at 20 or so. When I turned it back on the cluster was still stuck like this, the RPM guage wouldn't move when the throttle was opened and closed. I ended up disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after which everything was back to normal.

All these oddities happened right after the HID upgrade. Has anyone else had similar strangeness? Can this potentially damage the gauge cluster or other electronics on the bike? Will I void any warranties?

I have both HID boxes attached to the Ram air intake tube far away from the gauge cluster...

Weird. I have heard and read of some cluster issues but not to the extent you have.
I have had my DDM Hi/Lo on my 09 for over a year and 12K miles and no issues.
:dunno:
I wish I could be of more help, sorry.

My ebay HID kit kicked my SRS airbag light. Fly back voltage? Personally I don't know. I have seen some weird behavior with HID systems on both cars and bikes.

I have had mine installed from ebay for 2 seasons now. No issues whatsoever. My clock reset once on me. Make sure u keep your ballasts and wiring as far away from the cluster as possible. if you have already done that, ur ballasts are interfering way too much

I have some of the same issues. I need to make sure the gauges cycle before starting the bike or they will either read high or low. If I let them completely cycle, all is fine. Try getting the wires away from the back of the gauges or insulating them better.

That is the problem, the HID components are too close to the gauge and causing you gremlins.

similar things happened when I installed HIDs on my genI. I had the low beam Ballist mounted on the ramair tube on the left side of the bike right next to a bulk of wires. Move it to the right side and haven't had any problems. I still have the high beam ballist mounted on the left ramair tube. I rarely use my high beam but when I do I dont have any problems.

I have my set up on the air tube and still have this issue. Here is how I start my bike.
Hold start button
Turn key on and wait for cycle to finish
Pull in clutch to start

Every now and then my clock and gauges will reset. It happens mostly when I leave my high beam off for a while and click it on. The last time I road I tried to flash the high and everything went wild. Even my speedohealer got whacky. I have not road it to see if everything has reset but I will find out in the AM

Here is a thread on the install if you need https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/124304-gen2-hid-install.html

Strange? My clock has reset maybe once or twice in the year and a half I've had mine in but none of the other issues you speak of have happened to me. Something is too close to your gauges plain and simple. Either the igniter boxes or a wire or a couple wires are too close and sending frequency signals that are interfering with their proper op. You put the ballasts on the ram air tubes I remember but where did you mount the other two boxes? Is this a ddm kit I can't remember? Some bikes seem to be ok with zero problems and some have more issues? Not sure why?

FYI I ride with both my beams on all the time never not once only on low.
I start regular way and I start the other way described above. It just depends on whichever way I subconsciously do when I hop on.

Back