HID Lights: Delay vs Switch vs Button

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
Hi guys, was going to do HID but didn't get to it today, but I have the visionpro kit for high and lows.

With the delay, how long does it last? Is it adjustable? Does it start from turning the key or hitting the starter?

Switch....if I forget to turn it off, what happens next time I start bike?

Button....would it be possible to have a push button that turns it on, but then stays on after button released then is killed when bike is killed? Was thinking possibly with some relay?

All thoughts welcome. Thanks guys.

Hi guys, was going to do HID but didn't get to it today, but I have the visionpro kit for high and lows.

With the delay, how long does it last? Is it adjustable? Does it start from turning the key or hitting the starter?

Switch....if I forget to turn it off, what happens next time I start bike?

Button....would it be possible to have a push button that turns it on, but then stays on after button released then is killed when bike is killed? Was thinking possibly with some relay?

All thoughts welcome. Thanks guys.

I have both on my '04. The delay timer that I'm using is NOT adjustable - it's about 10 secs from the time the key is turned on. (There are timers that are adjustable) I also have a switch to kill the light completely.

On mine, if I turn the key on and don't start within the 10 secs...when the HIDs come on, when I do start it, sometimes the HIDs will go out and stay out. If that happens, I just flip the switch off and then back on, 10 secs later, the HIDs turn on...

Have a switch on mine and it works great. Just have to remember to turn the light on before departing.

have you thought about a different starting sequence, rather than a delay? hold the start button, turn the key on, then pull the clutch to start the bike.

have you thought about a different starting sequence, rather than a delay? hold the start button, turn the key on, then pull the clutch to start the bike.

From most of the research I see this isn't a surefire wire, but also I dont always start right away, so dont want to have to deal with all that.

Also GEN 2s don't have the HID issues gen 1s have. Thanks for thought tho.

ive got mine hooked ups traight never an issue
Posted via Mobile Device

even if i start it normally, i don't have issues, but it's not good to make the ballast start again so soon after the first ignition.

Mine is hooked to a switch with a built in blue led, when the hid is off the led is on therefore reminding me to turn the head light on. :thumbsup:

While you're at it, run a relay for the power, don't run the juice through the switch. Power should be fused and from the battery. Otherwise you'll get flickering or lights out, especially when running both high and low.

???
While you're at it, run a relay for the power, don't run the juice through the switch. Power should be fused and from the battery. Otherwise you'll get flickering or lights out, especially when running both high and low.

If on a switch or delay, the juice will not go there because the circuit is open? So I do not see the need? Also since it uses less than stock power I do not see why flickering should occur unless it is doing this at stock too ???

If I am missing something by all means let me know...:beerchug:

Save your self the time and effort and just install the DEI 528T Time delay relay. It's easy, it's adjustable. The timer starts from when the key is switched on. There isn't anything you have to remember to do, just crank the bike and go. Plus, it's pretty cheap and easy to install. I found a few on ebay for about $20 each. I like to keep things simple...

+100 on the dei 528T, got mine for under $20 shipped. I installed mine last week with hayabusa specific instructions I found online...works perfectly. Even though the hid manufacturer says the on-off-on during startup wont hurt the ballasts or bulbs, I know it certainly doesn't do anything good for them. Again, highly reccomend the delay relay.

BTW-I can pm the instructions I used to anybody who needs them. :beerchug:

I used a simple switch, that way if I don't want lights i don't have them. not to mention way easier than the 528T. I have 3 of the damn things left, from other custom orders, thought about it on mine, then went with the switch.

Save your self the time and effort and just install the DEI 528T Time delay relay. It's easy, it's adjustable. The timer starts from when the key is switched on. There isn't anything you have to remember to do, just crank the bike and go. Plus, it's pretty cheap and easy to install. I found a few on ebay for about $20 each. I like to keep things simple...

Yep..that's the way mine is set up......

I have both on my '04. The delay timer that I'm using is NOT adjustable - it's about 10 secs from the time the key is turned on. (There are timers that are adjustable) I also have a switch to kill the light completely.

On mine, if I turn the key on and don't start within the 10 secs...when the HIDs come on, when I do start it, sometimes the HIDs will go out and stay out. If that happens, I just flip the switch off and then back on, 10 secs later, the HIDs turn on...

Hey Omslaw...Do you have a diagram of the HID with a switch. Sometimes (very Rarely) I may hit my high beam and my HID goes off. I have to wait until I come to a light or pulling over and turn my bike off then restart it and the HID comes back on. If I had a switch that would help. Let me know... PLEASE!:please:

Have read the stickies, my main interest was in the button....I think I can do it with a relay and for me would be the preferable option, turn it on at my own pace, but don't have to worry about turning off for next time. Was interested in seeing if anyone has done it. I have ordered the delay off ebay just today so I have it as an option if I can't make it work the way I envision.

Thanks for all the input guys :beerchug:

What can be easier than putting a switch on it and turning it on and off at will? Saves blinding everyone as your pulling up to a group of people. :thumbsup:

KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) :whistle:

You can use a relay to create a seal in circuit and wire your HID's to do what you want with the monentary switch for manual on, auto-off, but that's just another device that can go wrong down the road, plus you have to remember to turn it on to begin with.

WHen I get a chance I will draw the circuit for you, if you wish.

Back