HID issues, light 'dances' and shuts off at high RPM

BoostCreep

Registered
I just purchased this bike a week ago and the PO had an HID installed for the low beam. He claimed it was a 6000k and given the color I believe it to be a 35w. At low RPM the light is weird, it's hard to see but you can see it flicker at a high rate which causes the light to almost 'dance' a little bit, it's hard to explain and not of great concern but you can tell. Worse though is I think I'm going to swap my battery out for a new one with higher cranking amps because if I miss the delay I have to cycle the bike to get it to start because it just doesn't have enough juice. Also when I get to about 8,000 RPM the light will shut off and turn back on at 10,000 rpm.

I don't know if I should run a relay and have it draw directly off the battery and maybe that will help (especially with it shutting off at high rpm) or if I should try a different HID kit because maybe it's a crap ballast and it's fighting with the stator?

What would you guys think?

check the battery output and do a stator and reg/rect checks described in the manual and check them against the specs after that i would begin to believe its the quality of the install.

Do you know what brand it is? I'd say first thing to do is rewire it, and make sure everything is clean and tight. First thought is that it's a bad ballast - kinda like when a fluorescent light is flickering.

I just purchased this bike a week ago and the PO had an HID installed for the low beam. He claimed it was a 6000k and given the color I believe it to be a 35w. At low RPM the light is weird, it's hard to see but you can see it flicker at a high rate which causes the light to almost 'dance' a little bit, it's hard to explain and not of great concern but you can tell. Worse though is I think I'm going to swap my battery out for a new one with higher cranking amps because if I miss the delay I have to cycle the bike to get it to start because it just doesn't have enough juice. Also when I get to about 8,000 RPM the light will shut off and turn back on at 10,000 rpm.

I don't know if I should run a relay and have it draw directly off the battery and maybe that will help (especially with it shutting off at high rpm) or if I should try a different HID kit because maybe it's a crap ballast and it's fighting with the stator?

What would you guys think?
Ahh another HID problem thread........one a day just like the vitamin :laugh:
I think you should pull it off so you have lights that work dependably, and avoid all the other probs the HID's seem to constantly cause :thumbsup:

i bought an 06 a week ago and it was doing the same thing.. quick fix was replacing the regulator. If the battery is fine at idle, bring it up to about 4-6k RPMS and measure the voltage, anything over 13.7 means the regulator is overcharging your battery and the ballast will go boom. I was pushing 15.1 volts at 6k rpms, replaced ballast and regulator, everything is now were is supposed to be.. Good luck

Do you know what brand it is? I'd say first thing to do is rewire it, and make sure everything is clean and tight. First thought is that it's a bad ballast - kinda like when a fluorescent light is flickering.

Great advice!!

2 major issues with HID lights are caused by
1) Cheap Chinese products lack of Qaulity Assurance. You pay me now you get super bright rites.
2) Crappy installs, people using cheap azz chinese autozone crimp connectors and wrapping it with cheap electric tape ..... if your lucky!

Buy qaulity HID products install them properly with solder and shrink tube where connectors arent available. done other wise deal with issues in time.

Back