HID Issue

howanicm

Registered
I recently put 55watt HIDs on my 2013 busa. After I installed them they worked great, once I parked the bike and went back the low beam did not come on. I took it apart and made sure all wires were tight and put it back together and it started working again. The same thing happened next time I rode. Does anyone know or has had this issue before. Also anyone else who has HIDs was there anything else you have to do when installing HIDs.
Thanks for all the help!

You can check the connector at the lamp. I had to trim the guide out of the center to get a good connection.

There's a cranking procedure that helps with the low beam and one member posted an electrical modification for running power to the ballast from the battery vs. the head lamp circuit.

Best of luck. On my '06 the low beam ballast failed.

My Gen 1 I went through 2 ballasts before I installed the wiring harness that allows power to be drawn directly from the battery instead of the factory wiring harness. Since then no more flashing at start up and completely reliable. The Gen1 (my 2003 anyway) at start up once key is turned on low beam comes on. When I would press start the power demand at through factory wiring couldn't be met causing the ballast to have a reduction in power needed making the light flash. This is what lead to my ballast failures. Not too sure with Gen2 at start up but as mentioned there is a headlight bypass procedure some folks have mentioned that doesn't work with some Gen1s.

I bought them off eBay but I dont think thats the issue. I did notice that there was really bad flicker on start up. I think
I need to try the headlight bypass mod. That sounds very much like what it could be. Does anyone have the thread for that?
Thanks again for all the help.

Next time try this:

1- press and hold the start button
2- flip kill switch to "run" position
3- turn key
4- pull clutch in
5- release start button

Your HIDs shouldn't come on until you let go the start button after the bike is running.

I had a similar problem when I 1st started my busa. The lights wouldn't turn on, and I would end up having to turn off my busa and then crank it again and they would come on. It would only do that when the bike was cold after sitting for a while. Eventually I just got fed up with it an got a PMR bar switch and had my head light controlled independently. Now I crank my bike then flip them on after bike is running. Problem solved.........:whistle:

Next time try this:

3- turn key
4- pull clutch in
5- release start button

Your HIDs shouldn't come on until you let go the start button after the bike is running.

This works every time for me, although I make sure the bike is in neutral first before touching any of the buttons.

I bought them off eBay but I dont think thats the issue. I did notice that there was really bad flicker on start up. I think
I need to try the headlight bypass mod. That sounds very much like what it could be. Does anyone have the thread for that?
Thanks again for all the help.

It really is a problem. There are some reviews online and on YouTube where someone opened them up and shows the cheap ebay modules (xentec) don't really have a heatsink to speak of. Thus it burned up.

After two warranty replacement I desire to spend more money and havent had an issue since.

Also there is a thread where a member put a capacitor inline on the power input wire just to help with the initial power draw when the ballast fires.

Some times my cheap ebay one would need to be switched on two or three times just to stay on. That couldn't be good for it.

Best of luck with the bypass.

make sure u get a brand that specifies AC current. the cheap ones are DC and built totally different. ive had nothing but trouble with cheap DC ones. AC ones are a few bux more but have less issues. use a relay harness also

Next time try this:

3- turn key
4- pull clutch in
5- release start button

I used the starting technique when I had my 08 after installing the HID on it. Never had an issue with it. I kept my bike 5 years. Here is one of many, thread with pics's that might help troubleshoot. Good luck

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/124304-gen2-hid-install.html

Next time try this:

3- turn key
4- pull clutch in
5- release start button

Im gonna give this a try. Hopefully it works. If not im going to do the resistor bypass mod or a swith as suggested. I think the switch would be alot easier then i can put one on for my tailing aswell for those situations with blue lights behind you haha. Thanks for all the info and help. Also i do have the AC ballast. I have always run those on my motorcycles. They have alot less current draw than the dc ones.

good luck with the fix.
on side note, ddmtuning.com has some good quality HID kits for really cheap.
I've had nothing but good experiences with them

If you have all the wiring in order, it is an issue with the hid kit. What brand do you have? There is a huge difference in quality. I have had hid's in my '08 since it was new, I used the hid50.com kit, not cheap by any means but zero issues makes it worth it for me.

Fit a cheap delay timer to the headlight on signal...I set mine at 15 seconds...ie 15 seconds after I turn the key to the ignition position the headlight can switch on...if the engine is started it resets the timer...I use those 15 seconds to let the engine warm a little or fit my gloves.

I have been running cheap ebay ones for 4 years now. German Ballasts. Same kit, 55W for both high and lows. No additional harness. Using the start trick by holding the start button before turning the key. Never a prob.
Hope your issues get resolved.

Next time try this:

3- turn key
4- pull clutch in
5- release start button

Yup - never had a problem using that method. Well, other than my clock resetting due to voltage spikes. But that's not an issue, as I use the GPS clock.

Back