HID Issue???

TonyMastodon

Big Blue Burrito!
Registered
So Ive had my lights in for about a week now and Ive only had 1 issue.

When I turn my bike on, sometimes a light wont come on (either the high or low, its random)... If the high beam doesn't come on, then i have to turn the high beam switch on and off for a bit before it kicks in. And if its the low beam, i have to turn the bike on and off a few times.

Anyone know what this could be?? I know everything is hooked up correctly, could it be a ballast issue???

Ive emailed xenonking about this and he told me to post on the forums for help (weird huh)

I have the problem with my r1 occasionally. I think they have a built in safty thing that if there isnt the right amount of power it wont come on. If you have them hooked to stock harness it does this. I was told if you get the harness that connects straight to your battery it will solve this, but That was for my R1 and since I don't have HIDS on my Busa thats all I can offer for now.

Thanks for the reply!! It really doesnt bug me that much, as long as they dont go out on me while im riding :p

DO you have both on at the same time during startup? I have my low beam only and use my high beam at night.

You could try to start it with just the low and turn the hi on after if you prefer to have both on for visibility.

It might be too much for your battery to kick both on at teh same time?

There's a simpple fix with a relay or something. Someone will chime in on it. Has something to do with the ballast not able to refire so quickly after initial turn on.

I have my high beams on 24/7 (its legal here in WA)...ill wait for the "chime in"

thanks guys

What a lot of people do is install a delay timer so the HIDs won't try to come on until like 30 seconds after initial power. Another way of doing this without adding anything is to do the following:

1. Push the starter button in (this will keep power from going to your headlight)
2. Turn key to the start position
3. Pull in clutch and then release the start button once the bike has started.

Doing that method will keep your headlights from starting up, shutting down, then starting up again which may fix your problem.

I have HIDs on all my bikes and they all do that. On my car too! They have never turned off while I am ridding/ driving though. And it doesn't bother me that they dont turn on sometimes, because I never ride at night. On my car, I sometimes have to play with the headlight switch a couple of times for them to come on.

I think they have a built in safty thing that if there isnt the right amount of power it wont come on. If you have them hooked to stock harness it does this. I was told if you get the harness that connects straight to your battery it will solve this

I too have herd this.

What a lot of people do is install a delay timer so the HIDs won't try to come on until like 30 seconds after initial power. Another way of doing this without adding anything is to do the following:

1. Push the starter button in (this will keep power from going to your headlight)
2. Turn key to the start position
3. Pull in clutch and then release the start button once the bike has started.

Doing that method will keep your headlights from starting up, shutting down, then starting up again which may fix your problem.

but dont you wanna give the fuel pump time to prime before you just start it up?

but dont you wanna give the fuel pump time to prime before you just start it up?

The fuel pump will power up like normal when you turn the key. I believe the only thing that changes when the starter button is pressed is the power going to the lights. It kills the power to them to give the starter all the power possible. Somebody may correct me on this though.

Last edited:
I have HID high/low, but do not have that problem. That's why I could tell you how to fix it. The systems I have never done that yet and I've had them more than a year.

I have high/low hids on mine. I had an issue until I did the 15 min burn in. I still have an issued with the high beam some times. If the bike is not running it will not light the high beam. I contacted the maker and they say if the voltage is too low then it won't stay lit. You may have to let the low beam start then flip on the high beam. I have never tryed to start the bike with both active.

My only problem is when I brought the low beam up to a usable hight the high beam is only good for bird watching. I do have ideas on a fix but no time to do it.

Back