HID installation problem

pan

Registered
I bought the HID's and installed them as per the instructions (as far as I can tell). When I tried them it went, "zap, crackle"... lights on for a split second, then off.

Thought I'd post these in case anyone can spot something I've screwed up:

Removed stock light
IMAG1244_zpsaaa74a0d.jpg

These are the bits
IMAG1246_zps820a11c4.jpg

Installed like this

IMAG1247_zps850486f9.jpg

Any ideas?

I cant tell from the picture. Why did you take your nose off? Did you touch the HID bulb with your fingers? What made the noise, the ballast?

I cant tell from the picture. Why did you take your nose off? Did you touch the HID bulb with your fingers? What made the noise, the ballast?

Took the nose off because you can't access the area above the headlight to pass the wires through unless you do.
Didn't touch the bulb with my fingers.
As it turns out, the buzzing noise was a bad connection.

Took it apart and put it back together and it works fine now.

In case you didn't, some of the systems require you to trim a guide out of the connector to make good connection. I think if you order for motorcycles it comes true plug and play. Glad you got it.

Good point Robert, and if you guys order the ones that Gixerhp has, they are truly plug and play and fit the socket with no modifications. Literally a 10 minute job to install.

5 years old but....
That plastics kemp bulb connector extender also serves as a spacer that make up the gap between the bulb and the spring clip that holds the bulb in place.
When you put an HID bulb in place the spring can’t reach the bulb so it just flips around.
How have you guys overcome this?

Found the answer with some more research.
You can buy spacers. Either buy them or make some.
I just googled H7 Spacers.

150B0B11-AB26-4527-9E83-F2263328FA51.jpeg

I really don't get why people bother with the HID's. The have other options now that are bright and direct plug ins for the OEM stuff.

LED is technically brighter at shorter distances, but HID throws light further down the road.
LED vs HID is give and take. LED is instant on, but run hotter and need cooling fins or fans etc. HID take a second to warm up but run cooler. LED is not quite to where I want from light output and technology, so I stick with HID for now. Personal opinion.

LED bulbs are so much better than HID. I have had a few HIDs die on me in mid ride.

HID's dying, super inconvenient and a common problem of the cheap kits I usually get my hands on. LED's being better, in my limited experience with aftermarket LED headlights, they are not as bright as HID 35W kits.

Back