HID insight

Destin07

Registered
Im planning on my next mod being HID. I don't care how bright they are I'm looking to do the high and low beam. I do alot of country riding at night so I want the extreme brightest high beam possible and then a low beam that probably just looks really blue and stands out. Who makes good kits? Explain the difference in the choice of light(4000k ect...) Thanks

This topic is discussed quite a bit, so if you do a search you will find a lot of info. 12000 Kelvin is the top end and 4000 Kelvin is the lowest typically used. From what you say you are probably looking at 12K on the high and 8K on the low.

The lower the number goes the closer to a yellow color you will get. To get the results you want I would go with a 4 or 5k for the hi beam and a 7 or 8k for the low. I use 6k on both my high and low beam and it works great. They have a nice blue/white color that looks cool and you can see great at night.

I have had friends who put HID's on their bikes an about a year later had a few electrical problem like overheated wires in the harness or the ignition switch. Any one else run into something like this? Or did they have a bad brand or install?

I have had friends who put HID's on their bikes an about a year later had a few electrical problem like overheated wires in the harness or the ignition switch. Any one else run into something like this? Or did they have a bad brand or install?
Over four years and not one problem.... So, I'd say they bought the cheap Korean versions and/or had a bad install.

Definately shouldnt ever get problems with overheating wires, thats usually a sign of excessive current draw. HID lights are much more efficient than halogen so your lighting circuit should be drawing around one third of what it did with halogens in. Discharge lighting aswell as being a little bit bling has the benefit of being very efficient.

Andy.

The lower the number goes the closer to a yellow color you will get. To get the results you want I would go with a 4 or 5k for the hi beam and a 7 or 8k for the low. I use 6k on both my high and low beam and it works great. They have a nice blue/white color that looks cool and you can see great at night.
Check out the thread under yours with the link. It seems as if the 4000k is a alot brighter than the 6000k

Check out the thread under yours with the link. It seems as if the 4000k is a alot brighter than the 6000k
The 4k in the link is the high beam, which is a projector light and will shine further than the lo beam by its self. If they where both 6k bulbs the pics would look about the same.
You said you want the brightest hi beam possible. 4 to 5k is as close to a true white light you can get. as the numbers get higher they get more color to but less actual "light".

It could be one of 3 things. Like the others said a bad install or cheap kit, or it could be that they didn't have HIDs at all and actually had high wattage bulbs. A lot of companies that sell the high wattage stuff put HID on the pagaging, or something like "get the look of HID". The high wattage bulbs pull more current, run A LOT hotter and in turn burn things up.

Now to answer destin07's question, if you're wanting the max output for the high beam, go with 5000k. It's the most light output, and it's pure white. 4000k will have a good bit of yellow in it. As for the bling factor of the low beam, 6000k will be a little blue, 8000k will be quite blue, 10,000k will be VERY blue and possibly have a little bit of purple in it and 12,000k will be violate. If it's blue you're wanting, I'd go either 8000k or 10,000k.

Back