HID headlights, turns off on start up

AZIROC

Registered
i have an '01 busa, did the HID kit and al that fun stuff. well, since i have an 01, when u turn the bike to the on position, the light comes on and when u start the bike, the light flickers and 9 times out of 10, the light doesnt turn on. so what i have to do is let the bike warm up, then turn tje bike off and right back on, and the light comes on. so anywho, does anyone know what wires i need to replace/make bigger (bigger gauge). i dont feel like ripping all the plastics off to "hunt" for it.

Just wire an inline switch to switch off the headlight. Turn it off, start up, turn it back on.

Mine has only turned off about 3 times in about the 6 months that i've had mine . I've heard of people having the same problem though. just do the inline switch.

Get yourself a timer to delay the startup of your HID:

Linksta

I have my HID waiting to be installed...when I finally have time. Anyway - since I have an '04 - I'm anticipating this issue, so I picked up one of these timers...turns on accessories (ie - HID) 8 seconds after power is applied (after key is turned on). I've bench-tested it and it works like a champ!

And for trackdays, etc, I am also installing a switch. I just like the idea of the timer because I don't have to remember to flip the switch...on or off!
wink.gif

(omslaw @ Oct. 17 2006,14:42) Get yourself a timer to delay the startup of your HID:

Linksta

I have my HID waiting to be installed...when I finally have time.  Anyway - since I have an '04 - I'm anticipating this issue, so I picked up one of these timers...turns on accessories (ie - HID) 8 seconds after power is applied (after key is turned on).  I've bench-tested it and it works like a champ!

And for trackdays, etc, I am also installing a switch.  I just like the idea of the timer because I don't have to remember to flip the switch...on or off!  
wink.gif
do u know what wire go with which for this little box?

(frisbee @ Oct. 17 2006,13:18) Mine has only turned off about 3 times in about the 6 months that i've had mine . I've heard of people having the same problem though. just do the inline switch.
im thinking about this too

I have an adjustable delay timer on my HID setup. I can set the delay for anywhere from 0-90 seconds for startup. I used a DEI 528T Timer relay. It has a ton of wires, but I will do a write up on it with pics this weekend.

So far it works great, and with my write up it'll be easy to install.

+1 on DEI 528T, use it in my truck and love it
smile.gif

its cheap and easly adjustable.
Heres the place you can buy it at, they also have little info on it, as well as few wiring examples: Clicky Linky

id like to see pics of your bike with the hids [/Quote]
I have HID's on my busa and a picture don't do any justice....
You need to be blinded in person!!
wink.gif

(extreemachine @ Oct. 18 2006,08:54) I can't believe how cheap the relay is. $15? I was thinking alot more for a 30amp delay relay. Thanks for the linky!
Yep, definetly get it online. I paid $30 locally.

Yeah, they pretty cheap. You can find them online for anywhere between $12 to $25.

(AZIROC @ Oct. 17 2006,20:42) when u turn the bike to the on position, the light comes on and when u start the bike, the light flickers and 9 times out of 10, the light doesnt turn on.
The only time mine has done that is when the battery was low.

Here's how to wire using the DEI 528T Delay Switch

The pics are kind of confusing since I had to pull the wires out of the bike to get the pics.

allwires.jpg

Hopefully you can understand the text better. I'll describe what to do here. THIS IS HOW I WIRED MY LOW BEAM HID DELAY TIMER.

The DEI 528T Pulse timer has 6 wires coming out of it and a blue loop wire.

1. Yellow and Red Wires on 528T

Take the Red and Yellow wires on the 528T and tie them together and add a male spade connector. Then insert this spade connector into the bikes OEM headlight connector on the (+) side or the side with the white wire going to it. You may have to remove some of the plastic connector you added so it will allow the spade to slide into the bikes connector.

OEMwires.jpg

2. Solid Black wire on 528T

Take the Black wire and cut it off at about 2 or 3 inches from the 528T box and then prep the end of the wire by removing 1/4 inch of the insulation. Take the new piece of Black wire (the one you just cut off) prep both ends of the wire. Take one end of the new Black wire and twist together with the Black wire on the 528T that is now 2 or 3 inches long and add a female spade connector. This spade connector needs to connect to the male spade Black wire on the HID high voltage box. You should have one end of Black wire not connected.

5wires.jpg

3. Black wire with White stripe on 528T

Twist this wire with the leftover Black wire from step 2 and add a male spade connector. Then insert this spade connector into the bikes OEM headlight connector on the (-) side or the side with the black wire going to it. You may have to remove some of the plastic connector you added so it will allow the spade to slide into the bikes connector. In this pic on the right you should see two black wires, one of those is the extra end from step 2 and the other is the Black wire with White stripe, the stripe is on the other side.

OEMwires.jpg

4. Orange wire on 528T

Add a female spade connector to this wire and connect it to the HID High Voltage box male spade White wire.

5wires.jpg

5. Brown wire on 528T

Brown wire is not used

6. Blue loop wire on 528T

DO NOT CUT LOOP WIRE!!! Leave it alone. I cut mine and it did not work.

At this point you should have no extra wires except for the Brown.

There may be other ways to use this box, but this way worked for me.

Use the Screw setting on the 528T to set the amount of delay you want to have. Keep in mind longer delay is better as I have noticed I fumble around (gettting bike in neutral, checking ON/OFF switch etc) after turning the key on sometimes and need a little extra time to get the bike started.

Good luck.

I am gonna search for all of the HID delay questions and post this too.

OEMwires.jpg

5wires.jpg

Back