HID flicker

kjcili

Donating Member
Registered
I've noticed over the last couple seasons the my HID's will flicker at idle. I do not believe I am running direct from battery, cant remember as it's been a few years since I put in kits. The battery is only 2 years old. And it seems like this problem occured sometime around the same time frame. The battery sits on a trickle when not in use. Bike idles at approx 1200. Here's another piece of info, IF bike NOT running, HID's WILL NOT turn on!!!

My old McCulloch's HIDs on my previous bike would flicker when the system voltage/current dropped. If your battery is good and you are not idling for a long time then you should be fine. I'd check the wiring for bad connections first.

When checking connections you could swap the ballast and see if the problem moves from low to high. Might be a cheap fix for you.

Very good place to start!
Also measure the bike idling voltage, and look to see if there are any spikes, over a minute or two!
When checking connections you could swap the ballast and see if the problem moves from low to high. Might be a cheap fix for you.

Very good place to start!
Also measure the bike idling voltage, and look to see if there are any spikes, over a minute or two!

Also if your using a basic DMM (Digital Multi Meter) chances are you wont see the spikes, if there are any. The best tool to check for spikes are the good ol analog meters.

i would start by checking connections to see if they are snug, then testing battery, then checking how your hid's are connected if they are connected directly to the battery or through the lighting harness... battery is best it can eliminate alot of issues, then checking your charging output, then lastly your bulbs and ballast

My old McCulloch's HIDs on my previous bike would flicker when the system voltage/current dropped. If your battery is good and you are not idling for a long time then you should be fine. I'd check the wiring for bad connections first.
No. Even just stopping at a traffic light they start to flicker pretty quickly. It's only when I have both hi and low on at same time. If I have hi on only, no flicker; if I have low on only, no flicker. Idling voltage is 13 - 13.25, no noticeable spikes. I use a Pico lab scope for detailed electrical diagnosis.

No. Even just stopping at a traffic light they start to flicker pretty quickly. It's only when I have both hi and low on at same time. If I have hi on only, no flicker; if I have low on only, no flicker. Idling voltage is 13 - 13.25, no noticeable spikes. I use a Pico lab scope for detailed electrical diagnosis.

do a full charging system check like it shows in the manual you could be getting low amperage output... could be the stator going out

Sounds like a voltage problem. Do you have any other aftermarket electronics on the bike? Mine will do the same thing when its cold out and I'm running the heated gear and grip warmers.

Naw. No other aftermarket electronics other than PCIII
Sounds like a voltage problem. Do you have any other aftermarket electronics on the bike? Mine will do the same thing when its cold out and I'm running the heated gear and grip warmers.

That sounds low for idling voltage to me. At idle I am over 14 volts. Do you hear your fan running when it drops to that? The fan pulls 60+ watts when it kicks on, which will sap a lot of juice at idle. The only time my voltage drops that low is if I am running my heated gear on full, Aux driving lights on full and the high beam on for extended times.

When I pull her out for next season, I'll get back into electrical system and see whats up. I thought 13 was low too, but it hovered around there pretty regular until fans came on, then it dipped but recovered pretty good. I'll get the Pico back on it with amps probe and do some poking around.

Back