Hi Everyone Major Problem's With Bucking Under Acceleration The Spluttering

omally

Registered
HI everyone im sick as a pig been after a Busa for years so paid £3000 for a nice 1999 low mileage Gen1 due to problems with a disability with my hip ive only been on short journeys about 7 miles-ish runs while my hip gets used to the position - but on big enough roads to give her stick for half a mile spells or so after letting her rest a few hours at my mates I set off home and she starts and runs great if you take your time but wind her on and she splutters badly even bunny hops or pulls hard upto high-sh speed then starts spluttering then splutters all the way home

Please Help give me a direction or two to sort her

She has a Full 4 into 1 Titanium T.I Force system and a K&N filter -- does it just need setting up could these upgrade cause this she always runs great on the first journey but problems after a rest on a repeat or return

That's not a good year for fuel pumps. That's my guess (only a guess).
What nosbig said! ^^^^^^ if you do a search, you'll see people describing your problem and then finding out is a fuel supply issue. Hope you can get her fixed up.

Any progress? My 99 acts like yours even though I've changed the pump for a Wahlbro and a Malpassi regulator.
At least now mine can take traffic jams without dying (the stock external pump overheats and gets vapour lock or something )

Any progress? My 99 acts like yours even though I've changed the pump for a Wahlbro and a Malpassi regulator.
At least now mine can take traffic jams without dying (the stock external pump overheats and gets vapour lock or something )

Ive not had chance yet problems with the car have demanded my time - but did start her up the other day and she was still spluttering just like a continuation from my last ride, I didn't try to rev her to try and clear her throat or anything as I wanted to check the plugs just to double check there was no carbon-ing up due to possible rich mixture, (its Got a full 4 into 1 Titanium T.I Force exhaust system on it I im not sure whether or not it should have be set up for this pipe I know very little of the history of the bikes components) I know its all a process so just want to check the basics first, ive seen a pump on eBay for £20-ish new but do ponder whether its wise to go cheap - just in case its not the pump - know what I mean -- But will update this forum if anything shows up - Thanks for your input :-)

Ive not had chance yet problems with the car have demanded my time - but did start her up the other day and she was still spluttering just like a continuation from my last ride, I didn't try to rev her to try and clear her throat or anything as I wanted to check the plugs just to double check there was no carbon-ing up due to possible rich mixture, (its Got a full 4 into 1 Titanium T.I Force exhaust system on it I im not sure whether or not it should have be set up for this pipe I know very little of the history of the bikes components) I know its all a process so just want to check the basics first, ive seen a pump on eBay for £20-ish new but do ponder whether its wise to go cheap - just in case its not the pump - know what I mean -- But will update this forum if anything shows up - Thanks for your input :)

Oh and I did for get to say I did ponder about vapour lock myself so will check on the piping and cap - damn Im missing blasting down the motorways as such things

Thought I'd chime in, seeing as I've had problems too with my gen 1.

I did a lot of leg work regarding the out of tank set up, I've been told the regulator on them packs up, if I remember right, you should be getting 42psi at the injectors, also the gen 1 fuel tanks rusted bad and ended up clogging the 2 filters in the pump, it's a pain to strip down but possible (I did mine a few times), if it's rust, then you will probably have problems with blocked/contaminated injectors.
I sourced a 'pump in tank' set up, modified the electric plugs, to fit in with the pump/level sender wires and a decent set of injectors, which I had checked and cleaned.
Another thing busas suffer from are spark plugs and I've been told that once they are fouled up, cleaning them is ineffective, new plugs are needed.
I'd fit a new set of plugs first and see if it improves your problem, if it does, good and see if the problem comes back, if it does, then, at least you know it's not plug related.
Hope this helps a bit.
Dave.

I might put mine on a dyno and plug in the suzuki workshop computer to read error codes in real time as the bike doesn't have a memory and the fault is intermittent. I'll share any results

Thought I'd chime in, seeing as I've had problems too with my gen 1.

I did a lot of leg work regarding the out of tank set up, I've been told the regulator on them packs up, if I remember right, you should be getting 42psi at the injectors, also the gen 1 fuel tanks rusted bad and ended up clogging the 2 filters in the pump, it's a pain to strip down but possible (I did mine a few times), if it's rust, then you will probably have problems with blocked/contaminated injectors.
I sourced a 'pump in tank' set up, modified the electric plugs, to fit in with the pump/level sender wires and a decent set of injectors, which I had checked and cleaned.
Another thing busas suffer from are spark plugs and I've been told that once they are fouled up, cleaning them is ineffective, new plugs are needed.
I'd fit a new set of plugs first and see if it improves your problem, if it does, good and see if the problem comes back, if it does, then, at least you know it's not plug related.
Hope this helps a bit.
Dave.[/QUOTE

tHANKS

Thanks Guys - This old GIrl has only done one thousand miles in seven years or that's what the MOT internet check says so - I can only assume fresh Gas has been put in as she runs Great 50% of the time until this last time which still splutter ill strip down the pump and filters and throw a new set of Plugs in although the fella ive just bought her off claims he gave her a full service just before the sale - initially the tank does look mint inside and out just like the rest of her, but that filter issue certainly sounds like a possibility ;-)

And look forward to hearing about your Dino Check K-Man

There is a place near Warrington which is close to me that does dyno\rolling road tuning if all else fails ill rent a trailer and take her to the doc

Thanks again Guys :-)

Hi omally.
Mine is fixed, I fitted a new fuel pump, cleaned the filters in the injectors, synced the throttle bodies and it's back to full power, revs clean and smooth and idles perfectly at 1000 rpm.
Check out my thread, I've performed fuel pump pressure and injector tests, there, before and after changing pump.

Hi omally.
Mine is fixed, I fitted a new fuel pump, cleaned the filters in the injectors, synced the throttle bodies and it's back to full power, revs clean and smooth and idles perfectly at 1000 rpm.
Check out my thread, I've performed fuel pump pressure and injector tests, there, before and after changing pump.

A Star is Born ;-) - Happy its sorted will check your thread - waiting for whether to clear up hopefully around Monday - sadly no garage ;-)

I hope you make some progress with yours, I know how frustrating it is to have a problem, that could cost a small fortune.
Mine is holding back around 9000 rpm, I think it's just plugs breaking down but it's full power below that, I'll post after fitting the new plugs.

May also be poor quality fuel, some company put a cleaning agent which can harm or clog the injectors . both BP and Caltex have substandard fuel. I use Mobil , always a 98 octane as a lower octane can cause plunging.
One hint I got from a top mechanic , run a injection cleaner every 5000 kms and something unusual but won't harm your bike is about250 mullilitres of diesel per tank which Will lubricate the top end but will not damage the engine. I was sceptical too but hey it works. this guy worked on both the Brittan and Macintosh Suzuki bikes

20160813_110243.jpg

Hi mike.
You say run 250 millilitres of diesel fuel in the tank, mixed with unleaded? wouldn't that lower the octane and cause running problems?

Hi mike.
You say run 250 millilitres of diesel fuel in the tank, mixed with unleaded? wouldn't that lower the octane and cause running problems?
No do it once off . it will lightly smoke light a diesel does but won't lower the octane. I run a 98 octane fuel

Back