Here is a small difference between a brand battery and others

IG.

Registered
I recently got a no brand battery from ebay and it works fine.

What I noticed however that Yuasa I had paid more attention to detail which is important for us, riders.

On Yuasa battery, the nuts where you screw in the bolts are held by a special plastic insert so that:

a) they don't fall out easily;
b) they are held higher so that if you connect multiple connectors to the battery and put the screw in to tighten, such screw will be able to grab the first thread of the nut and you will be able to screw it in easily.

Now, the no brand battery I got had nothing to hold the nut. This would mean that:

a) the nut could fall off easily once the bolt is unscrewed;
b) trying to put the screw in with a few wires on it and tighten it would not work because the nut is too low and the bolt can't grab the threads of the nut. So, you need to stick you finger in there and somehow hold the nut higher. It can easily fall off, etc. So, a simple task may become frustrating because the manufacturer didn't pay attention to this small detail.

Well, I wasn't gonna leave it like that, and it took me about an hour to figure things out. I ended up using a small piece of hard foam under the nut, and I made a hole in it - it lifts the nut a bit, and also holds it in place, but flexible enough and has the hole in the middle to allow the bolt through. Then, I put electrical tape around each connector, so the bolt has absolutely no way to fall off.

Did I mention that I also lightly sanded connectors, lubed the connectors on top with dialectric grease, and tightened the bolts good? :laugh:

nice write up. :thumbsup:
if you ever loose one of those bolts you can take a common metric sized nut and just grind down two wides of it and you'll have a replacement. :laugh:

nice write up. :thumbsup:
if you ever loose one of those bolts you can take a common metric sized nut and just grind down two wides of it and you'll have a replacement. :laugh:

It's funny you say that because that's exactly what I've done first. I thought I would place another set of nuts under the original ones, effectively keeping the original bolts a bit higher - didn't work as a support because I had trouble when tightening the bolts - they wouldn't go in the lower nut because it couldn't grab the thread of the lower nut.

Back