HELP!

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
Not what you think...

My 11 year old daughter bit it on this Alpine Slide. She has 3" x 8" road rash. I have cleaned it and applied Neosporin, and bandaged it. But the bandage stuck to the wound, and it hurt to remove it for cleaning. Now do I leave it uncovered to breathe, or put bandage back over it. If I bandage it, how do I stop it from sticking?

One thing that always works is Ice Cream, especially at 11 years old.

If I recall from my road rash you should not bandage it but you do want to keep it moist with neosporin. That way you dont tear off a huge chunk of scab which will really hurt. I think the nesporin keeps teh scabbing down too. Once it is done scabbing over make sure she wears sunscreen on the new skin, it will burn more easily which will cause more scarring. Hope the little gal is allright and give her all the ice cream she wants.

DONT TREAT IT AS A SCRAPE!!!!!! ITS A BURN!!!!! MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN OUT ALL THE GARBAGE IN THERE(ROCKS, SAND, DRT,ETC) . TRY SOAKING IT IN IODINE AND PEROXIDE MIX FIRST THEN PICK THROUGH TO GET OUT THE DEBRIS. GET YOUR SELF SOME SILVADENE (I THINK THATS SPELLED RIGHT) AND SOME BANDAGES FOR BURNS THAT WONT STICK. APPLY THAT TWICE A DAY AND KEEP IT BANDAGES DURING THE DAY AND EXPOSE IT AT NIGHT WHILE SHE SLEEPS. ITS OK TO WASH IT IN THE SHOWER BUT IT WILL DEFINITELY STING. I USED THIS PROCESS ON MY LEG 3 YEARS AGO AND TO THIS DAY, NO ONE CAN EVEN TELL ANYTHING EVER HAPPENED THERE. GOOD LUCK AND FEEL BETTER!!!!!
jump9.gif

Peroxide to clean, neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment... Aloe is awsome too, raw plant if you can get it, maybe health food store... - K

Sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she is ok. Those rides are fun but I saw a couple of nasty looking wipeouts.

Salt and crushed glass works great! Keep it moist with plenty of alchohol.
firedevil.gif

If that doesn't work, I used special patches when I had rash a couple years back. Works to quickly replace the skin and keep it moist. I forget what the stuff was called, but ask at the local drug store.

Ugh, the thought of waking up in the morning and sticking to the bed sheets does not strike fond memories, though. I never really did find a way around that.
sad.gif

Hey bud, sorry to hear about the spill. I'm a registered nurse, and can tell you silvadene is nothing more than expensive neosporin. Neosporin is expensive TAO (triple antibiotic ointment) which you can get a huge tube of for about 3 bucks. as far as a dressing, if you can leave it open during the day when she is aware of it. yeah i know her shirt sticks to the gooey stuff, but at least she dont stick to nothing. peroxide as often as she can stand it (every 3-4 hours during the day) followed by oint. at night you can put a dressing called telfa on the site. comes in sheets about 2" by 4". during the course of the night she will roll over on it, it will ooze, dry and stick. put her in the shower the next morning, let the warm water run down and over it, and voila the telfa falls off. after shower, clean it and grease it up again. should heal in about 6-10 days. it is a burn and will probably peel around the edges much like a really bad sunburn. after all the would has healed, it will feel tight and very tender. she needs to rub it to loosen up the skin, so have somebody or her rub lotion on it 3-4 times a day. will sunburn easily for about 2 weeks. hop this helps. email me if you have any more questions.

lumpy

DAMN Thinker made my freakin heart stop...Thought we had another Busa Brother bite it...Got a hot flash and everything...

Sorry about your little one though bro, sounds like Lumpy has it pretty well nailed...except he left out the Ice cream... Don't forget the Ice cream.

Glad she's OK and glad your OK...Roadburn is rough...

Rev

Yeah, Thinker you've got a choice of good recommendations...

Removal of the bandages is much easier, if you soak the wound and bandage for about 15-20 minutes in warm water... Then, rip it off FAST. It will still hurt a little, but NOWHERE near as bad.

Try not to use hot water as this will hurt her. Luke warm is soothing after the initial shock.

Good luck bra, Vaughn.

man
my 5yr son bite it also on the alpine slide last week up in MT Hood Ski Bowl, he just caught a little rash on the elbow. i put a band aid on hin and told him to suck it up, big guys, dont cry. we went down the mountain again like ridin on rails.

Miranda was bragging, and thought it was cool that her rash was bigger than mine (I fell too), but her mother won't find it as amusing. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Sorry about the kiddo man.

I don't have any advice, I've only been to combat medicine school. So I would say C spine her, hit with some morphine, tag her - bag her call for immediate extract.

And like someone said ICE CREAM is good too.
tounge.gif

As stated before, keep triple antibiotic ointment or pure Aloe on it and make sure to keep it wrapped to help prevent infection. after a week or so you can leave the bandage off for good. Make sure to let it breath for about 30 min between bandage changes. If it sticks, try to moisten the bandage as much as possible. Soak it under a faucet if your comfertable doing so. It should peel off nicely while keeping the skin moist at the same time.

There's one thing kids like just as much OR MORE , than ice cream . Mail . Letters or packages . A kid gets somthin' in the mail...INSTANT recovery . Hell...I get something in the mail(like a bike part) and I'm instantly better too .

If she needs something from here (Canada) that you cant get down there...name it...it's on the way .

Tell her "Uncle Rubber" is hopin' she heals up real qwik.

Uncle Rubber....that doesn't quite have "the ring" to it, that I had hoped .
Sounds more like a serial killin' clown or somethin'...

hee hee hee.....

skull.gif

Find some vasaline impregnated gauze pads. They will not stick to the wound and will keep it moist to minimize scaring, and scabing. Cover those with sterile gauze pads. Then depending on where the wound is, ie: if it is on an arm or a leg, hold everything down with some tube gauze. If the wounds are on her torso you will have to tape everything down.

Sorry but I totally forgot to ask how your daughter is doing while in CA. So how is she doing?

Someone said treat it like a burn that is correct go to the DR and get Silverdine its a white creamy type substance it has antibotics in it and is for burns it won't let the bandage stick you also need telfa nonstick steril pads goodluck.

Oh and i know its late, but for future reference put some coco butter on it. That will help restore the skin tone so that the rash leaves less of a mark.

Back