Help!!!

Trainerdave

Registered
My builder is just finishing my turbo busa up, the problem is that the stock fan didn't fit.
I was told because it was lowered internally and has a lowering triple tree on it.
The bike is not slammed At all IMO(it's the same height as it was in the avitar), but regardless , my builder ordered two 4" inch fans that fit perfect.
The bike was dynoed etc, i billed out, and my builder said he wanted to, change the clutch fluid etc, before I was to pick it up.
After looking at the bill, I checked the part number for the fans and found out that each fan only put out 125 cfm / minute.
I know the stocker pulls near 1000 with the muzzy blade, so common sence (and being being an HVAC master tech, along with having a few high horse cars) is not going to cut it on a 400hp turbo busa, that will see more street than anything.
My tuner said he only paid attention to the surface area, which is a no no, but also an honest mistake.
I'm stubbed, he says it pulled down fine when on the dyno, but that is is 40 degree weather, he says not to worry, but with the time and money I spent, I don't want to have to worry, my builder is a good guy and very experienced, is just one of those simple mistakes.
I don't know what the hell to do, he seems kind of stumped, its a new velocity gt30r dbb external kit.
I'm sick to my stomach after all the waiting and excitement , duel 125 cfm plastic fans will melt in stop an go traffic .

I called frank as I've bought my pistons and some other stuff from him, without the bike in front of him, he told he can't do much, and rightfully so. My builder is smart , it was an honest mistake ,I'm sure we can come up with something, but it still need some feedback, I'll call richard tomorrow , as I have his water meth kit on my bike, I wish I knew about him before I bought my kit, the fitment of the charge tubes would have been better, we are talking a couple of inches here, which drives me nuts, the bike is done, it made 406rwhp on pump and rcc's water injection kit on a safe tune 22lbs.
If I didn't look up the part number on the fans I would have never had known.... Well possibly next summer if the bike overheated. It's better to be safe than sorry in my book.

I DON'T KNOW YOUR BIKE OR KIT BUT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO MOUNT IT LIKE NORMAL AND MAKE A BOTTOM BRACKET TO EXTEND IT FORWARD SO AS NOT TO HIT MOTOR. i WILL SAY DEPENDING ON YOUR KIT, MOVE FAN TO RIGHT SIDE AND MAKE SOME SIMPLE BRACKETS OUT OF FLAT WORK TO POSITION IT. i RECOMMEND SPINNING FAN BLADE BY HAND BE SEALING IT UP TO BE SURE BLADE DOESN'T RUB RADIATOR..

Last edited:
First off what kit is it?

Usually 2 things will cause fan interference with a turbo. Header design, or the compressor cover isn't filter enough towards the rear of the bike. Those are 2 points to start with.

Secondly I have 3 turbo bikes in my possession that are slammed, with the forks cut, and slid up in the trees and the rad/fans still fit fine with wheel clearance. 2 of the 3 have air to water intercoolers on them, so there's even a head exchanger in the front of the rad. So it's not a factor of the bike being low. It's something to do with turbo placement I can bet. Post some pics.

An option you have depending on what kit you have is to buy 1 or 2 of the low profile fans from schnitz. Those work very well in tight spaces.

Both of these bikes have the heat exchangers in front with not tire clearance issues.
D83F5B30-4C3B-488D-8AA2-E543BAC7A9A3-13169-00000D0418058C95.jpg

it made 406rwhp on pump and rcc's water injection kit on a safe tune 22lbs

What..... 22psi on pump gas and water injection? I thought 14psi was about the most you wanted to run on pump with water injection.
unless you are running pump E85?

straight meth in the water injection will allow you to run 24psi on pump gas? I did no know that. what size jet on the waterinjection?
I use to run 50/50 meth/water in my old turbo 1000 with a aquamist 2c kit and a .6mm jet I believe. I ran 14psi on pump and the water injection with a built motor. I ran c16 above 14psi.

It's not so cut and dry. I'm in the automotive (ls1) side things as well, and known several guys that have fueled 60-80hp over what their fuel system was capable of. However, those guys are one malfunction away from melting a motor.

One thing we don't do in the boosted bike world is monitor ait's, and run progressive meth systems. Could you run 24 pounds on pump, on straight meth? Possible, but it depends on turbo efficientcy, and a few other variables.

Running a system only allows kit to turn on when a certain psi is reached. So if you jeted it for say 20psi, and have a good afr, anything under that the bike will run fat, and not make as much power vs. the same boost without meth. So it's complicated. Your best bet is to just stick to the 14psi rule of thumb.

the aquamist 2c kit has a high speed valve that acts like a fuel injector. I had it hooked up to the secondary injectors that were maped with a micro tech. So it would pulse (maped) the same as the secondary injectors. Not perfect, but a lot better then just turning a jet/nozzle on.
14psi on pump with water injection was what I was told by Barry at velocity. So I guess I could of tried to run more boost with methanol injection. Just never messed with it. 14psi was plenty enough for me on the street and normal riding. When I really wanted to crank it up on the street I put c16 in it.
Current bike is a gen 2 with RCC stage one and ecu editor. Running it on e85 so I can run it 24 psi on pump gas. :)

Trainerdave

I don't know exactly how your bike is setup, but have known several guys with gen one busas, velocity race kit with gt35r, and slamed for drag racing. still had the stock fan on the bike.

Now that you mention it, I forgot all about the 2c kit. I had one on my bike years ago. Those are decent, but not as good as a progressive stand alone meth system.

Back