Help with stripped screw

Rob'sBus

Registered
What a non-mechanically inclined individual I am. I tried to take off the reflectors the other day and everything went smooth until I stripped the 2 screws holding in the reflector on the back left portion of the bike (below the seat). I've removed the reflector by unscrewing it from the clamp but is there a way to get the stripped screws out? Thanks

The screw isn't stripped, it is a bolt and it is spinning in the hole. I used a flat head screwdriver to put pressure between the nut and the plastic while I used a power drill with a #2 Phillips Head bit to spin it loose. I think you can use a Socket and extension to hold the nut while you take the bolt out if you insert in from the top/under the back seat. Try using the drill while pulling down on the reflector bracket.

I am about to go out to the garage and I will post what size socket is needed for the nut and how to access it in just a few.

It is a 7mm nut. I cannot access mine but, it may be due to different modifications I have done. Look in your with a flashlight, you may be able to reach it. The downward pressure on the bracket while loosening the bolt should do it. The nuts will fall out the bottom area eventually if not right away. They will roll toward the engine area inside the tail and there is a small hole down there.

Or you could just remove the tail section, this way you can remove the bolts (screws?) that will be rattling around in there.

Check the shop manual for detailed instructions, posted on the site.

It's a machine screw with a nut on the back side. You need to remove tail section so you can hold the nut and remove the screw.

Yup, the same thing happened to me when I tried to remove the rear reflectors. Just as Ba Busa and Glyn said, the tail section will have to be removed to do it right. I got my tail off in less than 10 minutes. Just remember those funny little black rivet tabs are push-ins to pop-out so you can remove them. DON'T PULL ON THOSE PLASTIC RIVETS!! Oh, while I was in there, I found a couple of missing items (1 rechargable AA battery, a bic lighter, matches, and a mini-disc case)
smile.gif

You people work to hard at this stuff. I never had to take mine apart to take them off and got the nuts out. Whatever works, well, works.

Are you getting all of this Rob? Don't make me come over there and do this for you....even you can handle this one... I think.
rock.gif

True what ever works works. The tail section is easy to remove and sooner or later everbody will have a reason to remove theirs. So its no big deal how you go about removing reflectors, stickers, or doing mods. The main thing is the more you know about your BUSA the more you can do yourself. A big part of the fun of motorcycling is being able to customizing and maintaining your bike yourself. Besides it will save you alot of time and money.

i found a good way to get the loose nutz out of your tail....

Use a magnet and drag them back to the hole by the engine, and stick ur fingers in that hole and pull em out.
smile.gif

Thanks to all for the info. I will try the tail removal trick. The screw is stripped as a result of working too hard with the wrong size screwdriver. I'm going in... wish me luck.:O

In case you don't know how to re-install the black/plastic/rivet thingamabobs.  Depress the center pin to remove.  After its out of the hole, take the center pin completely out of the base by pushing it all the way through the base(if you try to pull it out of the base, it might break and will be difficult to do).  When re-installing, place base in the hole, then push the center pin into the base until its flush, should snap into place.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091717179 -->

Back