Help with See-Thru Clutch Cover

Boyer

Registered
I am thinking of purchasing the RS Designs see-thru Clutch cover. How do you cut the half moon out of the fairing? Does anybody have any pictures or write-ups? Does anybody have this particular cover? Any problems I should consider?

Alphonso, here are some photos of that clutch cover installed...

aldamuffnman.jpg

aldamuffnman_2.jpg

aldamuffnman_3.jpg

aldamuffnman_5.jpg

aldamuffnman_6.jpg

aldamuffnman.jpg

aldamuffnman_2.jpg

aldamuffnman_3.jpg

aldamuffnman_5.jpg

aldamuffnman_6.jpg

If you're going to go through all the trouble, why not put a quick access on there or something, or does that particular cover offer that as well?

i have looked into this before. Not sure about doing it without a pro, but depending on how much you want to spend...Gator Glass can replace that shape you want to cut out with clear making it seamless and very professional. There is a guy here in Atlanta who bought the rights to do same thing from Gator. FYI-Big money.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm looking forward to more posts from guys doing the at home version. I'll never pay the kind of money Gator asks on a bike I actually ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

Here's an easy way. Install the clear clutch cover, replace the fairing and then tape the area covering the cover. Take the derby from the OEM cover (assuming that's what you'll be replacing) and place it on the fairing and draw the outline. After that remove the fairing and cut with a Dremel and smooth as necessary.

I am going to try your advice, but I was thinking of using a compass to draw the circle. I have a dremel tool, but do you use a cutting wheel or is this a bit or is there a better tool out there?

A compass would work aswel. I used the cutting tool to get close and then sanding bits to even things out.

Tim thanks for those photos and all your help with the other assessories. I live for away from the big cities and your help in modifying my Busa is greatly appreciated. Everybody here at Hayabusa.org have helped me immeasurably with my bike,

The best way to get the right shape is get the clutch cover fitted,

-Make a template out of cardboard,
-With the fairing on the bike mask off the whole area around roughly where you want to cut.
-Stick the template onto the masking tape and line it up exactly where you want.
-Check you have got the template in the right place
-Draw around the template
-Drill small holes around the inside of the line you have marked out
-Use a drimmel to smooth off the edges until you are happy with it
-Remove the masking tape and re-fit the fairing panel
-Stand back and admire

Before the paintjob

DSC04686.jpg

After the paintjob

RyansHayabusa36.jpg

and if you aren't real gifted me a dremmel, like me for example, grab some of this trim stuff from local parts store and put it on, cleans up the edges nice.

DSC_0766.jpg

DSC_1477.jpg

Last edited:
To mark the cutting line ,you can use the black plate on the clutch cover (remove the 3 bolts and take it of)

This way you can adjust this "template" to the remaining cover.
On the left side you have about a quarter circle to match .

i used this...(dont know its name)
41065d1255879709-grafikkarte-bei-meinem-laptop-austauschbar-250px-laubsaege.jpg

you get round sawblades for it to cut circles. Finaly finish the cut with a halfround file , and at the end put a strip of fine sandpaper on the file.

Will last a hour or two, but you get a good result with good edges.

If you are not good with a dremel (not so easy to make a propper cut as it seems) thats the better way.

And Alphonso, the cover is headed out today to you.

Likely have it on Friday. :thumbsup:

I used a dremel with a cutting bit. It looked like a drill bit. You can sand the plastic after you are done. I was surprised at how much you can shape your plastic by hand sanding. The trim is a must if you are leaving the paint stock. Good luck. It is alot easier to do than it looks.

bike 026.jpg

did any of you guys modify the stock cover to do this mod?
doesnt the oil from the clutch get on the clear cover?

Back