help with rear seat- wont open

craigntx

Registered
well folks, after 3 busa's, a total of over 90k miles, i finally hava an issue with my 07.
the key refuses to open the rear seat/trunk area.
(and my phone charger is in there:banghead:)
so, whats the easiest way to access the trunk?
thanks
craig

Had that problem once with my 05, but had the hump on. the only reason I go it back off are the alinement tabs ate fairly soft plastic and so where able to bent enough until they popped out. The I could stick my hand in and activate the latching mechanism.

There may be other offers of assist here, but...

If you can get the front seat off, you may be able to stick a long screwdriver (9-10") under the front/center of the seat to activate the release. It takes some doing (with the hump on, anyway), and can take several attempts.

If it was me, I'd take it to the dealership.

Had that problem once with my 05, but had the hump on. the only reason I go it back off are the alinement tabs ate fairly soft plastic and so where able to bent enough until they popped out. The I could stick my hand in and activate the latching mechanism.
you mean the plastic push pins that hold the body together?
can i just pull them from the underside and gain access?

There may be other offers of assist here, but...

If you can get the front seat off, you may be able to stick a long screwdriver (9-10") under the front/center of the seat to activate the release. It takes some doing (with the hump on, anyway), and can take several attempts.

If it was me, I'd take it to the dealership.
the stealerships wuld have it for weeks if i did that, but i think i'll try the screwdriver method.
thank you

If you have a stock undertail the screwdriver is one of the few ways that will work.

This is what I did I took all the screws and push pins out that I could on the tail section to allow for flex then I was able to reach my hand up through the fairing and release the latch.

I used, wait did I say I, someone told me that if the seat and then the hump are on then all you have to do is ... Get a small cord, slide it under the rear part of the seat/hump and pull up. Then (unless you are an octopuss) get another set of hands to slide a small od screwdriver or coathanger into the latch mech. It worked for me both times, uh I mean thats what my friend told me anyway.

Ive done this one a thousand times

take a hanger and bend the tip to make a small " l"
make the over all length of the tool enough to reach the lock mechanism and cut the rest off to prevent any scratches.

Get a flash light
take as many of the screws that you can access off the rear faring
that way you will have a little more work space.
Take a couple of pieces of masking tape and apply them to the paint in the work area to prevent any mistakes.
Go in at the rear on the same side as the lock,
slightly behind the lock where the hump and the fairing separate.
Push the hanger in with the "l" pointing out.

Give it a 1/4 turn once you get above the area where the lock is
angle it down and once you engage the lock give a slight pull.

To make it easier take a small piece of cardboard to wedge the hump up slightly to give you space and put pressure on the lock so when it pops it wont require you to lift it.

Good luck

The closest I ever cam to having that happen was one time when I put the hump on, a dust rag which was in there had gotten wedged into the locking mechanism somehow and was gumming up the works. I had to push down on the hump pretty good to get it to release the pressure and I was able to open the lock.

Good luck, man.

--Wag--

hey at least you posted a question of how to open it rather than just cut your seat which i just saw in a tread a lil while ago

Back