Help with racing fuel application please !!

One thing you can look at over the winter is an air shifter set-up not having to worry about getting foot quickly enough onto pegs to shift you would probably notice a drop in your 60's and 1/4 mile times.

Looks like you got the basics covered:thumbsup: One thing you might want to look into is a upper tripple so you can lower the front a bit more, every bit helps. With that gear and mph are you close to the limiter in 4th when you go through the traps? And all its going to take for you to go 9's is seat time, I promise:thumbsup: I started running 9.3's and now 100 passes later im running consistant 8.9x's. So just get back out there and let us know when you get that 9:beerchug:

Right on :thumbsup:

I did get the Brock's upper triple tree clamp, installed it and will be ready for this saturday !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::beerchug:

We have a test n tune at Famoso and it's gonna be cool out, so maybe a little more power there too :laugh:

Yes, I'm at the top of fourth through the traps.. I was thinking the +3 rear sprocket might get me well into fifth through the traps ? and maybe help on the front end with the 60' times ?

Thanks for all the help Brutha !! Maybe sometime I can head north and run at your track ? Sounds like a cool weekend trip !!!:beerchug::thumbsup:

One thing you can look at over the winter is an air shifter set-up not having to worry about getting foot quickly enough onto pegs to shift you would probably notice a drop in your 60's and 1/4 mile times.

Thanks Wolfman.. :beerchug: I have been thinking hard about going with an air shifter.. Do you use the same ignition solenoid to kill the engine for the shift as with the DynoJet kit ? I had to use one for a GSXR 1000, cause they didn't have one out for the Gen II when I installed it.. I was reading up on the air kits online, and it just didn't explain everything you would need very well..

Thanks for the Info !! :thumbsup::beerchug:

If you can get it, try some Sunoco 260 GTX and see how it does. Since it is unleaded, you can burn it in any engine if you don't like it for the bike. Give it a try and report on what you find. Experiment! It is not oxygenated and should run fairly well. Good Luck!

Thanks for the heads up !!:beerchug:

I’m running more compression than you are. My bike was tuned on GT+. A dyno run with 91 Pump gas gave an almost identical a/f string but produced a tad more power. My guy feeling is a 50/50 mix with 260+ and 91 octane would have flipped the difference around a bit. Don’t confuse the oxygenation of the 260 GT+ with some of the exotics like MR9. 87 octane in an 08 is pushing the limits when playing with pump gas.

The difference between station and station can be enormous. The difference between two different deliveries can be substantial. Seasonal changes in blends can change a fuel that was on the verge of detonation to being a fuel that does detonate under a heavy load. I could see changes in my data logs from tank to tank even when corrected using my weather station. So be careful about running substantially less octane then recommended with pump gas.

I run 91 in mine on the street (I’m over 13:1) and 260 Plus at the race track for consistency and to be sure I’m not having any detonation issues under extreme condition. I’m giving up .5 hp peak according to my dyno runs. Small price to pay to make sure it lives! :)

Call the tech support from Sunoco Race fuels and they can give you the scoop.

110979-racing-fuel-dyno1.jpg

ha ha.. I saw the 1650 and thought "a wheel off the ground?!" nice find..

A quick realization that I came to is seat time...my 60's are bad but getting better. Pick a routine...3-5 sec burnout, ease up to the beams, settle in...it seems there are three phases of the light bulb (coming on, bright, and going off)...and slip the clutch...easier said than done but that is the fun of it. Do you leave with your shifter foot on the peg? I have a hard time deciding what is more comfortable / pratical, as far as foot placement...have fun.
good observation.. new trees running LED's are not so much like the old bulbs.. you could judge 5 stages per bulb pretty easy..

just coming on
warming up
ON
Cooling off
going out

My first national event was running some A stock modified class and getting my ears pinned back by a guy named Dave Workman.. inline 6 maverick with a blown head-gasket in the final, dialed a 22 sec time against my 11.90... I thought I was watching a train leave the station and ended up red lighting.. LOL

I learned a lot from the guy down the road.. most important was be consistent.. speed and ET is useless without it..

Drag racing is a multi facet sport.. lots of mental, lots of mechanical, lots of consistency..

You are required to be perfect in all three on any given day.. At least in a race with corners? you can make mistakes and make up for them.. never seen a drag racer loose a lap and then still come back to win :)

I’m running more compression than you are. My bike was tuned on GT+. A dyno run with 91 Pump gas gave an almost identical a/f string but produced a tad more power. My guy feeling is a 50/50 mix with 260+ and 91 octane would have flipped the difference around a bit. Don’t confuse the oxygenation of the 260 GT+ with some of the exotics like MR9. 87 octane in an 08 is pushing the limits when playing with pump gas.

The difference between station and station can be enormous. The difference between two different deliveries can be substantial. Seasonal changes in blends can change a fuel that was on the verge of detonation to being a fuel that does detonate under a heavy load. I could see changes in my data logs from tank to tank even when corrected using my weather station. So be careful about running substantially less octane then recommended with pump gas.

I run 91 in mine on the street (I’m over 13:1) and 260 Plus at the race track for consistency and to be sure I’m not having any detonation issues under extreme condition. I’m giving up .5 hp peak according to my dyno runs. Small price to pay to make sure it lives! :)

Call the tech support from Sunoco Race fuels and they can give you the scoop.

110979-racing-fuel-dyno1.jpg

:thumbsup: Great Info. Professor, Thanks !!! :beerchug:

I agree, try a higher octane and see what happens. Never be afraid to experiment. Don't go by what "another" guy has done with his bike. Try it with your bike,you might like it. Spend the money for some 260GTX. I will not even bring up the psychological part of running different gasolines......that would start a real war on this site!

I agree, try a higher octane and see what happens. Never be afraid to experiment. Don't go by what "another" guy has done with his bike. Try it with your bike,you might like it. Spend the money for some 260GTX. I will not even bring up the psychological part of running different gasolines......that would start a real war on this site!

:beerchug: :laugh:

Back