Help with picking a Vanson jacket...

Greenbean

Registered
So I am very very close to dropping some coin and getting a custom Vanson jacket,

Here is my dilema.

I can't decide on venting as in perforrated leather or not, Is the jacket they have with the curtain in the chest worth it or not...

I know riding in the Western Carolina Mountains can be chilly sometimes when on the parkway but after getting back down to the freeway you'll cook.

So am I better off getting a fully perforated version and just keep an extra l/s t-shirt with me or get one with a perforrated chest and solid arms, or the one with shoulder vents, sleeve vents and exhaust vents on the back?

How much does the aerodynamics of the Busa help or hurt the venting?

Guess I really want to hear from you guys that have Vanson, what did you get and if you did it again would you go the same way.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Last edited:
I have the fully perfed jacket and the one with the curtains. The one with the curtains works very well for cold to maybe mid 80s with the curtains down and all the vents open. After that it can get pretty hot.
The fully perfed jacket is almost like wearing nothing. I wear a long sleeve underarmour shirt under it and it will keep you cool as long as you are moving even up into the 90s. I know some people have the fully perfed and wear different things under them to keep warm when the temps drop. The perfed jacket alone will do nothing to keep you warm when the temps drop.
If I was to only get one or the other I would go with the one with the curtains.
The Vanson jackets are great. Very thick Leather and made to fit the sportbike ride.
Hope this helps in your decision.

100_4231.jpg
I have the fully perfed jacket and the one with the curtains. The one with the curtains works very well for cold to maybe mid 80s with the curtains down and all the vents open. After that it can get pretty hot.
The fully perfed jacket is almost like wearing nothing. I wear a long sleeve underarmour shirt under it and it will keep you cool as long as you are moving even up into the 90s. I know some people have the fully perfed and wear different things under them to keep warm when the temps drop. The perfed jacket alone will do nothing to keep you warm when the temps drop.
If I was to only get one or the other I would go with the one with the curtains.
The Vanson jackets are great. Very thick Leather and made to fit the sportbike ride.
Hope this helps in your decision.

Exactly -could not have said it better myself. Also they tend to be on the tight side. I've got two, the Satellite and the perfed version; Hurricane.

valkyriemc

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, Vanson has no CE Armor in shoulders/elbows and no back protector.

Thanks for the info. Good links also.

So to qualify to wear it for a track day it has to have the CE armor right?

you buy the armor of your choice in addition to the jacket. as noted in an earlier post, vansons are tight fitting, and they get a bit tighter after adding the armor. that said, i've got the "suzuki" air curtain model and it's great with the exception of no exterior pockets. the 2 inside pockets are small, aren't even large enuf to hold my tube reading glasses

Last edited:
If your patient you can get a good deal on ebay. Or have vanson fit a jacket to your measurements.

I have a vanson that I bought back in 2002. It still looks and feels great. It is partially perforated and it is good for winter or summer. I wore it in a heat index of 110 and stayed cool while moving. I sweated like in a sauna when I stopped at a light.

The plan is to get a fully perforated one I think. I have an Icon full leather that fits pretty good and has some vents in the way of zippers that are well, useless.

I have the Classic Sport Rider 2 jacket, CSR2. This is the non perf sport rider jacket. LOVE IT!!!!!! Open the arm and back vents and you are fine while moving. Sweat like a pig at stops. Also, do your homework about protective pads. I love Vanson leather but hate vanson protective pads. * be aware* NOT ALL CE PADS ARE CREATED EQUAL. If they don't state wich level CE rating the pads are, you must assume the pads are the less protective rated. (I called Vanson and the friendly people there couldn't tell me and then got upset when I pressed the issue.)

My setup is this. CSR2 jacket, Technical sport rider pants (zippers to connect the jacket to the pants). Also, after much searching for protective pads I went with the 100 joule rated Forcefield brand pads sold by Johnson leathers inc. Top rated gear. Just tell them that you have a Vanson and they will sew velcro onto the pads in the appropriate places. And last for a back protector I bought a Forcefield Pro Sub 4 back protector, fits under the jacket great.

Vansons fit snug. I printed off the custom measurements sheet and had my wife measure me up. Faxed the sheet to Vanson and told them what armor I planed to use. They entered everything into the computer program and then called me back and told me what size "off the rack" would fit. Generally, I'm a 38 but I bought a 40 Vanson and it's snug and fits great.

You won't be sorry.

Thanks for the info. Good links also.

So to qualify to wear it for a track day it has to have the CE armor right?
depends on what group you ride with.. Intro/Novice/Beginners in most of the orgs only require a full suit or a suit with a full zipper. No provisions for armor etc..

Intermediate levels are pretty much the same from what I have found but STT requires a back protector after you are out of novice class.

That said: (the following just my opinion)

You should look after your own welfare.. if you fall off and need the gear?, do you want to go down without all the possible armor you "could" have had?

I think bypassing CE armor because it is not required is not a good idea.. Buy gear with the CE armor and add a back/chest protector.. I just bought my spine protector (not required too) for track days..

a few extra $$ spent now to prevent medical $$ later with the associated pain? Priceless.. Glad you are shopping out good gear :thumbsup:

Look at Johnson Leather for protective pads. You might look at (click on) back protectors and Type-B limb, theseare the ones that can me made to fit your Vanson.Armor

Good luck.

Back