Help with Hids

cobravenom39

Registered
Hey guys, I got an Hid kit from a member on here, and I wanted to have everything ready to go when I want to put them in. I'm afraid I won't have material like most of you do when I go to install the lower one. Most of you said you used a felt or rubber washer to put it in and secure it. I understand I'll need some velcro, too.

I do work at Mcmaster carr supply company, so I was wondering if anyone could find a part or parts in their catalog and I'll take it home today.

McMaster-Carr

Thanks for any help you guys can offer me.

adhesive backed hook and loop...to secure ballast.

some rubber or foam stock to cut out the washer for the low beam. Or if you carry the washers that go inside of the water hose to seal it off.

I used a chair leg pad to cut mine:laugh:

adhesive backed hook and loop...to secure ballast.

some rubber or foam stock to cut out the washer for the low beam. Or if you carry the washers that go inside of the water hose to seal it off.

I used a chair leg pad to cut mine:laugh:

Thanks, do you know the size on the washer. Id, od, and thickness??
We have everything.

Is the hook and loop for the power converters??

Thanks guys

You're over thinking this. Once you get in there it will be apparant what you need to do. If the bulb fit is a little loose, then you need to come up with a way to make it not loose.

You could use anything (just about) in there that you want to take up the room between the bulb backing plate and the clamp that holds the bulb in there.

If you're that worried about it, just try putting the bulb in first, getting it fitted. Then mount the ballasts and wiring. That way, if you figure that you need something else, all you gotta do is put the old bulb back in till you're ready.

Remember not to touch any bulbs with your fingers, if they get touched, you will need to remove all of the oils from the bulb using alcohol.

You're over thinking this. Once you get in there it will be apparant what you need to do. If the bulb fit is a little loose, then you need to come up with a way to make it not loose.

You could use anything (just about) in there that you want to take up the room between the bulb backing plate and the clamp that holds the bulb in there.

If you're that worried about it, just try putting the bulb in first, getting it fitted. Then mount the ballasts and wiring. That way, if you figure that you need something else, all you gotta do is put the old bulb back in till you're ready.

Remember not to touch any bulbs with your fingers, if they get touched, you will need to remove all of the oils from the bulb using alcohol.

The only thing is I'm a younger guy with a brand new garage and I don't have extra material from years of projects.

I kinda am strapped on time to do this, so I just wanted to know what I would need in order to get it done and zip it back up.

Thanks guys

If you need the spacer, you could make it from the cardboard box your HID kit came in, it really is that simple...you just need something to take up the slack behind the bulb. If you've got some sponge or styrofoam, anything like that. It will only take you a few minutes to test fit the bulb and get an understanding of what you're going to need.

:beerchug:

Since you're inexperienced, I'll tell you this too, go in from the top, by removing the instrument cluster, the hole will be right there.

If you need the spacer, you could make it from the cardboard box your HID kit came in, it really is that simple...you just need something to take up the slack behind the bulb. If you've got some sponge or styrofoam, anything like that. It will only take you a few minutes to test fit the bulb and get an understanding of what you're going to need.

:beerchug:

Since you're inexperienced, I'll tell you this too, go in from the top, by removing the instrument cluster, the hole will be right there.

Awesome, thanks for the info. So I just have to make sure I have some foam or rubber stock laying around.

Do you have to take the whole upper fairing off, or do you have a right up on this anywhere.

You can do it either by removing the gauges and surrounding fairings...or get some practice and remove your front piece. It is really easy to remove the front and this will give you more room to work.

Search HID Install and there are a few out there. The newest one is on a 2008, but it gives you the just of the install

below is the washer I morphed out of a chair pad

Washer_used.jpg

Swing by a hardware store and pick up two garden hose washers.... I've been running this H7 HID bulb for over 150,000 miles this way:

102566-hid-washergasket2.jpg

Now the HID capsule will set properly in the low-beam housing, allowing the correct focal point to be achieved:

K8_low-beam.jpg

Don't neglst to *completely* seal up the rubber boot, lest dust/dirt begin to collect inside the reflector housing:

K8_low-beam_boot.jpg

You have to trim one of the connectors to get a connection too. I think there's a great thread with pix that Heavy Busa did :thumbsup:

Swing by a hardware store and pick up two garden hose washers.... I've been running this H7 HID bulb for over 150,000 miles this way:

102566-hid-washergasket2.jpg

Now the HID capsule will set properly in the low-beam housing, allowing the correct focal point to be achieved:

K8_low-beam.jpg

Don't neglst to *completely* seal up the rubber boot, lest dust/dirt begin to collect inside the reflector housing:

K8_low-beam_boot.jpg

Jesus Christ!!!
You guys are awesome

Thanks for all your help.

The pics really helped me realize what I was looking for.

Back