Help with Fuzeblock.

newman

Registered
I'm thinking of getting a Fuzeblock.

Been looking up some old threads on installing it, and have a couple of questions.

I want to use it so I can power up my Satnav on the move. I've got the lead which goes from the battery to the Satnav, and as I read it, if I go straight from the battery, it will be draining the battery all the time, even when disconnected.

So I need to know, what power inline fuse goes on the +battery wire, and can I buy a lead already made up, and whats it called.

Also where is the best place to attach the switched power source lead and what gauge lead do I need, and do I need a fuse in this, if so what size.

I'm a newb at all this electrickery lark, I know nothing.

I'm doing this so I can leave the battery tender on all the time, but only have power to the Satnav lead when the bike is turned on.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Newman, does the Satnav have a three wire system? That being constant 12 switched 12 and ground? If it does tape the switched 12 into your headlight. Dont cut into the wire just get a side by side splice from radio shack. As for the constant 12 just get an inline fuse like the old radios had, then attach it to the positive side of the battery. Lastly the ground, connect it to the negative terminal on the battery. Then you have switched power satnav will be on when motorcycle is running.

Thanks viper.
It's just got a mini USB connector which connects to the lead from the battery via a normal USB connector.

Right better late than never.

Here's a pic, I want to run the lead on the right from the Fuzeblock too the USB connector on the left, I'm alright with that.

As I said above.

So I need to know, what power inline fuse goes on the +battery wire to the Fuzeblock, and can I buy a lead already made up, and whats it called.

Also where is the best place to attach the switched power source lead and what gauge lead do I need, and do I need a fuse on this lead, if so what size.

I'm doing this so I can leave the battery tender on all the time, but only have power to the Satnav lead when the bike is turned on.

I might be able to use if to recharge the Gopro2 battery as well.

Thanks for any information.

100_1927.jpg

So I need to know, what power inline fuse goes on the +battery wire to the Fuzeblock, and can I buy a lead already made up, and whats it called.

I took this from the Fuzeblock website in the FAQ section;

What amperage fuse should I use for the in-line fuse?

An inline fuse between the battery and the fuse block is needed in case the +12V wire to the fuse block shorts against something between the battery and the fuse block. That's also why the fuse should be located as close to the battery as possible.

The size fuse is variable depending on how much current will be used by the devices connected to the Fuzeblock. A 30A fuse can be used as a default however if you're not going to need that much current you should consider a smaller value. This will ensure that the fuse will blow quicker should something go wrong.

You want to use a value of fuse that is above what you're actually going to need. If the maximum needed is 15A then consider a 20A or 25A fuse. If the current goes 5 to 10 amps over the maximum amount then you knows there's an issue and it should blow the fuse to protect the wiring from burning up.

Remember the fuse does NOT protect your devices. It protects your bike from burning up.

Thanks stangman thats very helpful.

Now all I need is the info about the switched power source lead.

for switched power you can tap in to any line that only comes on when the key is on. I have my fuzeblock in the trunk area and tapped in to the license plate light since I do not use that light any more. or you can tap into rear tail light but DO NOT tap in to the brake light.
all you need if you want is a small fuse to protect the wire going to the fuzeblock.
hope that helps

Back