Help with 'Busa purchase

L

LCBusa

I'm new to the boards here, and I am currently shopping around for a Gen I 'Busa. I searched quite a few topics and found answers to most of my questions, but what I want to know is if any one year bike that is maybe a little more capable than the others. Right now I am looking at an '02 LE bike, with a couple of mods that I planned on doing anyway; PC, K&N, full Muzzy exhaust, Barnett clutch, and a couple of other minor mods. Let me know what you guys think, and maybe I can actually be a member WITH a bike sometime soon!

Thanks,

Billy

02 is a good year... but im biased... actually 03 or newer will have the upgraded starter assembly... the last major advantage before the 08+ models...

But you can easily upgrade an 02 starter and limiter if need be.

I also saw where in '03 it looks like the bike got a new fuel injection setup and ECM. Any major advantages there? I've ridden an '04 a couple of times around town and at the strip, and I loved that bike. The power on that bike was butter smooth.......:thumbsup:

Don't be like me and get bamboozled with the LE crap !! I was told by the salesman "not only is it a Busa, but it's an LE" !! I was like "yeah, you know it" !!

then I found out the only differance is the color, black frame, and a litle emblem that says Limited Edition :laugh:

All Busa's look the same from 99-07. The first couple of years were unrestricted though, then some retard messed with the timing

Last edited:
:welcome: to the board...there are a few little differences such as the first couple years not being restricted (which can easily be fixed on the later models) but at the core, they are all the same except for color schemes...happy hunting :beerchug:

i would look for a 03 and newer some minor upgrades were made from my understanding i own an 05 has been a great bike over 36,000 miles now just basic maintance

Welcome to the org, with the plans you have for the 02, upgrading the starter wouldnt be that big of a deal. If you like the bike and the price is right, get it. Post up pics when you get her home. :beerchug:

Had an 01 and an 03 and both wer rock solid great bikes. Drag raced the 01 a few times and it had 25k miles on it with orig clutch abd all I ever did was change tires/oil. 03 also had 25K miles when I sold it also only tires/oil. Now I have an 08 an dits even better. I can tell you the 03 clutch was smoother than the 01 which seemed to clunk off the line.

I really appreciate all of the responses. The '02 LE caught my eye because of the black out treatment from the factory. That was a nice looking bike, but unfortunately he sold the bike this evening, oh well..........the hunt continues.

I don't really have an exact amount I was looking to spend to answer that question. BUT whatever I get, its gotta be mint or damn near, AND well taken care of.........I plan on giving whatever bike I get a serious probing, and then I'm gonna let a friend of mine that works at a stealership down here give it a going over.

I really appreciate all of the responses. The '02 LE caught my eye because of the black out treatment from the factory. That was a nice looking bike, but unfortunately he sold the bike this evening, oh well..........the hunt continues.

I don't really have an exact amount I was looking to spend to answer that question. BUT whatever I get, its gotta be mint or damn near, AND well taken care of.........I plan on giving whatever bike I get a serious probing, and then I'm gonna let a friend of mine that works at a stealership down here give it a going over.

'07 model also has a all black bike :thumbsup:

Don't be like me and get bamboozled with the LE crap !! I was told by the salesman "not only is it a Busa, but it's an LE" !! I was like "yeah, you know it" !!

then I found out the only differance is the color, black frame, and a litle emblem that says Limited Edition :laugh:

All Busa's look the same from 99-07. The first couple of years were unrestricted though, then some retard messed with the timing

:tre::lol:

'07 model also has a all black bike :thumbsup:

yup they did :thumbsup:

Motorcycle 002.jpg

I found another bike that I really like ('03 Orange LE) , BUT the mileage is high, ~ 30k miles, and he mentioned that the cam chain adjuster is making a little noise. He said it runs fine, and is barely noticeable. Is there anything else that sound could possibly be that sounds similar? I know its almost impossible to tell with out hearing it.........he also stated that "Patrick" mapped the PC3???? I need to ask him who the hell that is. Here's what the listing stated;

has: full yoshi exhaust carbon fiber tri oval
new chain and sprokets, top of the line, down one tooth in front(16)
factory pro velocity stacks
gi pro gear indicator with smart tre
corbin seat
solo cowl
passenger seat
steel braided lines front and rear and clutch line
upgraded grips, bar ends, tripple tree, clutch and brake fluid covers
upgraded clutch
oil changed every 1500 miles max with motul 5100
powercomander pc3 usb
bmc air filter
small air box mod
speedohealer(the new one with top speed indicator recorder)
grab bar if wanted
frame sliders
rear spools
upgraded brake light with integrated turn signals
front clear led turn signals painted black
lowering link with 3 positions
forks were redone not to long ago
head was manualy ported slightly
spark plugs changed every 8k
brand new rear tire, fairly new front bt016's
im sure im leaving some out just ask....

I was planning on going to take a look at it this weekend, and if all looks well, then I would take it to a dealer on the north side of town to go over it. What do you guys think?

Back