Help - Vibration on the Busa

ty454

Registered
Background - my bike (2002 Hayabusa) is 100% stock and has about 25k miles on it. All those miles were put on by me.

So about 1000 miles ago I thought I noticed a slight vibration on my bike. It was barely noticeable and I figured it was me being overly paranoid. In the last couple hundred miles it has gotten worse. Now even at about 3500 RPMs I get a tingle in my hands and feet after riding even short distances (10 miles or so). This definitely isn't normal for the Busa. When I accelerate/engine brake between 5-8k RPMs I can actually hear the bodywork resonate and it's rather loud.

The amplitude of the vibration isn't very much, it's just a very high frequency. The best analogy is that it feels like I'm riding my GF's Ninja 250 at high RPMs.

It seems to idle normal - I thought perhaps that the idle was rough and it could be but now I think I've overanalyzed it to the point where I don't remember what idle is supposed to feel like.

Other than the vibration the bike seems to run normal, I don't notice any performace loss, although I don't really push the bike that hard so for all I know there could be something missing and I just don't know about it.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the valve clearance is off. I checked them myself at 16k miles and they were all within spec, but it has been 9k miles. Thing is that of all the bikes I owned I never had any of them where the valves were out of spec so I don't know how to judge whether they are loose or tight (other than disassembly and checking with feeler gauges). I assume they aren't tight because I can't hear any ticking at all, what do loose valves feel like? Would these symptoms that I have be caused by such a thing?

I have a several thousand mile ride to the smokies planned at the end of the month and I'd like get it resolved. I can check the clearance pretty easily myself this weekend, but I would NOT be looking forward to pulling the cams and changing the shims.

This would be the cheapest fix though. What do you think?

and check your clutch..... mine was an '02, and with 9400 miles on it, two of the pressure plate springs were completely loose. not good.

That's where I'd start, good possibility that's your problem.
I'll have to try and investigate that this weekend. I was looking in my service manual and see that it requires this goofy little tool - do you know what they run? I'll call the dealer today to see if I can get one cheaper than actually taking the whole bike in and having them do it (I'm assuming the tool is a whole lot cheaper).

The procedure seems pretty easy. Question though - it mentions that you have to cap the hoses off with the "appropriate caps" after you disconnect them from the throttle bodies. What do you cap them with? Is it very scientific or can I just fold them over and put a tight clamp on them (is it a very high/low pressure hose)?

I hope it's not a counterbalancer, that would be too much work and expense I feel. I'll at least try to rule out the throttle valves this weekend. While at it I can check my valve lash and clutch too if those don't help.

So much for a laid-back weekend.

loose or tight (other than disassembly and checking with feeler gauges).  I assume they aren't tight because I can't hear any ticking at all, what do loose valves feel like?  Would these symptoms that I have be caused by such a thing?  
you've got it a little back-a$$wards there, loose valves tick.
If valves are too tight you wont hear them,but you can burn them up. You did yer valve service a little early, but i feel thats erelevnt to yer current situation.

I always like to start with the easiest least expensive repair,work up from there.

1. clutch , does vibration decrease when dis-engaged(lever pulled) ? if it does,loose clutch spring bolts.
remove cover tighten.
2. throttle bodies out of sync,lift tank , yadda yadda,sounds like you read up on that one.
3.motormounts...tighten them
4. while yer riding get it to the buzzy rpm range and feel around the bike, the wind screen,the clutch cover,the tank,etc etc eveywhere ya can.
5. hit anything recently,knock a wheel out of round, had a wheel weight fall off.
6. check the nut which hold the stator on. These have been coming loose on Zooks for years.

there's a few starting points...good luck...keep up informed

hav a less buzzed 1 ... RSD.

loose or tight (other than disassembly and checking with feeler gauges).  I assume they aren't tight because I can't hear any ticking at all, what do loose valves feel like?  Would these symptoms that I have be caused by such a thing?  
you've got it a little back-a$$wards there, loose valves tick.
If valves are too tight you wont hear them,but you can burn them up. You did yer valve service a little early, but i feel thats erelevnt to yer current situation.

I always like to start with the easiest least expensive repair,work up from there.

1. clutch , does vibration decrease when dis-engaged(lever pulled) ? if it does,loose clutch spring bolts.
  remove cover tighten.
2. throttle bodies out of sync,lift tank , yadda yadda,sounds like you read up on that one.
3.motormounts...tighten them
4. while yer riding get it to the buzzy rpm range and feel around the bike, the wind screen,the clutch cover,the tank,etc etc eveywhere ya can.
5. hit anything recently,knock a wheel out of round, had a wheel weight fall off.
6. check the nut which hold the stator on. These have been coming loose on Zooks for years.

there's a few starting points...good luck...keep up informed

hav a less buzzed 1 ... RSD.
Yeah you got me on the valves there
smile.gif

When I get off work today I'll yank the bodywork and start trying to trace down the obvious. It'd be nice it if was just a motor mount or something like that.

Whatever it is I can rule out the transmission or wheels because it happens if I rev the engine at a stop in neutral.

Called the dealer and the suzuki oem tool for throttle body sync is 250 bucks! I don't think so, I'll find an aftermarket tool or take it in to the dealer and have them do it if I end up thinking that's the culprit. They charge less than half that price and I don't see my current Busa being around long enough to get a return on investment spending that much money on that tool.

Thanks for the responses thus far. Will let you know what I discover.

FWIW - I pulled the fairings off and did all the easy checks. No obvious loose mounts or anything. I also pulled the airbox and am proceeding to check the valves while I'm at it.

This may be normal, but I noticed that when in neutral (and stopped), there is SLIGHTLY less vibration and overall engine noise when I pull the clutch in. It also idles slightly more smoothly with the clutch pulled in (while in neutral). It's not much, and it might be normal since there'd be extra rotating mass when I let it out. I tried riding around without the fairings and experimented with keeping constant RPMs while coasting and it seemed to make no difference whether the clutch was in or not with regards to the vibration. I'll check it out to be prudent but I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

So now I have two suspects I'm chasing - valve lash and throttle valve sync. Hopefully I can finish checking the valve clearance either tonight or tomorrow night and if that checks out then I'll take it to the dealer Saturday morning to have them check the throttle bodies to make sure the valves are sync'd. If there is a valve clearance problem then I'll just replace the shims myself and see if that takes care of it.

If nothing comes of all this then I'm going to keep riding and see what happens. Maybe I'll trade it in before it gets too bad ha ha
smile.gif

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention. Since it vibrates when I engine brake (no throttle), could that rule out the throttle valves? Since they are closed at that point and all. That just hit me this morning.

if you do figure the problem let me know im having the same problem with my k3 the bad thing is i only have 3,000miles thats wat hurtsssss.ive check fom clutch springs to mounts im now gonna get intio the chain tensioner ,wish me luck!

I am messing with the same problem for 8 months now.
First I changed tires,
then I sync-ed the throttlevalves,
replaced sparkplugs,
checked mounting bolts of the engine,
cleaned fuel injectors,
checked the counterbalancer bearing (it's adjustable)
checked for other loose bolts or worn rubber,
checked valve clearance,
replaced clutch bolts, springs, inner and outer basket, and installed a dragrace clutch,
installed a TRE,
replaced the cam chain and tensioner (wow, expensive),

You might understand that I'm getting tired of this issue...

The vibes are getting worse since I make more wheelies so I still suspect the chain, sprockets or rubbers inside the rearwheel.
Keep suspecting the outer clutch basket or clutch plates...

dealer doesn't notice bad vibration, but I know the engine was smoother before. For all the troubleshooters out there: Vibes are noticeble in footpegs, handlebar, seat and tank...

I'm lost and think of buying a Honda.....

Last time: HELP

I am messing with the same problem for 8 months now.
First I changed tires,
then I sync-ed the throttlevalves,
replaced sparkplugs,
checked mounting bolts of the engine,
cleaned fuel injectors,
checked the counterbalancer bearing (it's adjustable)
checked for other loose bolts or worn rubber,
checked valve clearance,
replaced clutch bolts, springs, inner and outer basket, and installed a dragrace clutch,
installed a TRE,
replaced the cam chain and tensioner (wow, expensive),

You might understand that I'm getting tired of this issue...

The vibes are getting worse since I make more wheelies so I still suspect the chain, sprockets or rubbers inside the rearwheel.
Keep suspecting the outer clutch basket or clutch plates...

dealer doesn't notice bad vibration, but I know the engine was smoother before. For all the troubleshooters out there: Vibes are noticeble in footpegs, handlebar, seat and tank...

I'm lost and think of buying a Honda.....

Last time: HELP

Hi I have a 06 with 10K miles on it It appears I am getting more vibrations than normal and believe it started happening when I first messed around with throttle body sync which has been fine adjusted about 8 times since. May have been coin incidence. The vibration I am noticing is more in the foot pegs and gas tank and would say it peeks at around 6K RPM. It happens at a stop and while moving pulling in the clutch on freeway seems to lower vibrations slightly. I may check clutch spring and basket and stator bolt. Could you tell me how to check the CounterBalance bearing?

Back