help taking out broken swingarm bearing!!

camaroguy72

Registered
Swingarm bearing broke during removal for powdercoating. i cant seem to get it out. any ideas? anyone got a puller that could get this somehow or any idea of cuttin this out? its tearing my dremel bits up haha. hardended steel i assume. let me know..

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Have you tried Tungsten Carbide dremel bits ?.  Nothing like TC bits at 20,000+ rpms......butter baby...butter !!!  "Even" on hardened steel.........

OOOPS !!! Almost forgot, keep a steady hand, or you'll really grab a lot of metal all at once......they're pretty spiffy bits though.....steady hand !!!
winkold.gif

1. Check the manual to make sure there are no retaining rings you need to remove first....then?...

2. With the swingarm properly set up and supported...Use a drift/driver and a suitable weight mallet and drive them out.

3. If you don't make any headway in #2. above?...use heat...yes...a propane torch...to heat the outter housing and crush/shatter/loosen up the loctite film between the bearing and it's housing...let cool then attempt to drive the bearing out again...then repeat this process as necessary.*

If that's powdercoat i'm looking at in the pic you posted...you may want to explore the services of a machine shop...as using heat in #3 above will most definantly bubble/destroy it.

or?...there may just be some snazzy way of popping them out that we both overlooked.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back