HELP! SWITCHING TO 220MPH GAUGE. HOW?

TAZEONE

Registered
I've seen a few ?'s bout this mod, but nothing concrete and none really answered.

I have a black/blue 2002 BUSA, I want to get the Illumiglo reverse style gauges BUT in the 220mph gauges.

I have a -1 tooth sprocket in front so I know I need to adjust my speedo anyways, so I figured why not get the new gauges and why not get them in 220mph.

HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS AND WHAT DO I NEED TO BUY EXTRA ? SPEEDOHEALER? Yellow Box? (i heard the yellow box doesn't work as well)

i just want it to work and be at most 5% off.

THANKS FOR EVERYONE/ANYONE WHO CAN GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT.

I have done the mod but in metric...340kph
same stuff anyway
smile.gif

put your new dials on (make sure you remove the top speed pin)
put in a speedohealer or yellowbox, I chose speedohealer.
Speedo should read within 2-3mph of real speed
but you will find your odometer will read slower, so you won't be putting as much mileage on the beast, make sure you allow for this when servicing
wink.gif

easy mod
smile.gif

smile.gif

okay, so I can have my shop do this for sure......
I'll buy a speedohealer, since i'm hearing so many good things bout this.
but i heard if the speedohealer is set right, it will not really take away from the mileage at all.
I heard GPS or setting it on the freeway using the exit signs will be good enough.

a little more help?

thanks

You can go with your stock gauges and use the healer or just plug in a pre-01' gauge cluster.

You can go with your stock gauges and use the healer or just plug in a pre-01' gauge cluster.
HUH? SORRY MAYBE IT'S LATE, BUT I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND YOUR REPLY G N T

go with my stock gauges? i want to change them?
break it down to me like i'm 4 years old.

thanks!
although you are changing the face of the gauge. your gauge cluster will remain an 02' cluster. You can keep your stock cluster with 220mph face and use a speedo healer to correct the variance or just get a 99'-00' gauge cluster and just plug it in. No healer needed.

ahhh, i see .
BUT
i can't buy the 00 cluster though, because I still need to adjust the gearing change from the sprocket right?

so then the speedohealer will help in more ways then one right?

Negative. No adjustment required. Realisticly you will probably not get closer than about 7% overall correctivness. Speedohealer or not. Stock gauges can be off up to 12%-14% at high speeds. You must realize that if you're off 4%-6% at 60mph you will be off by waaaay more at about 150mph. If it is absolutly necessary to 99.9999% accurate go with a GPS. Btw, did they ever find your R1?

1. no, didn't get my R1 back, IT'S STILL KILLING ME!

2. I heard that with going down 1 tooth (16T) that my speedo is off right now 18% or more?
so shouldn't i go with a speedohealer? the new version is only $85, won't a 99 or 00 cluster cost more?

and on the speedohealer website, it states it can get the overall correctness close to 1% high or low speeds
that's with gearing change with sprocket or gauge faceplate mph changes.

rock.gif
??
i'm gonna order both the gauges(faceplates) and the speedohealer 2moro.
let me know what's good buddy.
thanks.

1.  no, didn't get my R1 back, IT'S STILL KILLING ME!

2.  I heard that with going down 1 tooth (16T) that my speedo is off right now 18% or more?
so shouldn't i go with a speedohealer? the new version is only $85, won't a 99 or 00 cluster cost more?

and on the speedohealer website, it states it can get the overall correctness close to 1% high or low speeds
that's with gearing change with sprocket or gauge faceplate mph changes.

rock.gif
??
i'm gonna order both the gauges(faceplates) and the speedohealer 2moro.
let me know what's good buddy.
thanks.
Sorry I mentioned the R1 I just noticed it in your sig.
sad.gif
You'll probably be cool with the healer and faceplates. Ethier way I have yet to see a cycle speedo stay within 1% overall. It may be 1% at a given speed but not throughout the band. Also the healer/faceplate will prolly suit you better due to your gearing change I was unaware off. Back to the 99-00 cluster, you could probably find a slightly used on with less miles than your original and enjoy the "fountain of youth" effect on your Busa. But you're right, it wouldn't be cost effective.

Hey Taze,

What GNT is telling you is correct. Face plates and speedo healer would be the most cost effective. Purchasing a '99 or '00 cluster is expensive. I've seen them go as high as $700. Buying the cluster would be the easiest way to go, but because they seem to be collector's items among the Busa novice, the price is a little exhorbitant.
I have the '02 silver/gray and purchased the 220 mph faceplates with the reverse-indiglo from Speedhut when they had the special going for the group purchase last year. I too am also -1 tooth on the front sprocket. Heard nothing of the speedohealer before I bought the yellow box. I took a slightly different approach to calibrating my speedo which didn't involve moving the bike. What I did was simply looked at the number on the stock guage that was at the 12o'clock position (i.e. directly at the top), and compared it with the 12o'clock number on the custom guage. Did some calculations and found the percent correction factor. I then used the correction settings from the yellow box and set the right switches to cover the correction. I then tested it using a co-workers GPS at 135mph indicated on the GPS and the speedo read a nice 130mph. Worked out well for me.

Brian

Trust me when I say that "I am no genius or anything like that." I'm just one of those types whose mind looks broader at some things and looks for alternate ways of doing things. I guess I have the mentality of "Work smarter...not harder."

Brian

Hey Taze,

What GNT is telling you is correct.  Face plates and speedo healer would be the most cost effective.  Purchasing a '99 or '00 cluster is expensive.  I've seen them go as high as $700.   Buying the cluster would be the easiest way to go, but because they seem to be collector's items among the Busa novice, the price is a little exhorbitant.  
   I have the '02 silver/gray and purchased the 220 mph faceplates with the reverse-indiglo from Speedhut when they had the special going for the group purchase last year.  I too am also -1 tooth on the front sprocket.  Heard nothing of the speedohealer before I bought the yellow box.  I took a slightly different approach to calibrating my speedo which didn't involve moving the bike.  What I did was simply looked at the number on the stock guage that was at the 12o'clock position (i.e. directly at the top), and compared it with the 12o'clock number on the custom guage.  Did some calculations and found the percent correction factor.  I then used the correction settings from the yellow box and set the right switches to cover the correction.  I then tested it using a co-workers GPS at 135mph indicated on the GPS and the speedo read a nice 130mph.  Worked out well for me.

Brian
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that at 85mph indicated on the GPS, my speedo read a nice 83mph. Life if good...all the time-- And all the time...life is good.

Brian

Back