Help Regarding Paint Protection

Fredyp33

Registered
I need some advice. I've got this beautiful 2019 that I can't wait to ride to work. The problem is that I work at a rock quarry and the dust is ridiculous. I don't even bother washing my beater car because it'll be covered in dust the next day.

I'm thinking about ways I can protect the bike and still enjoy riding it to work. I'm learning more about 3M Paint Protection Film and have thought about having it added in key areas of the bike. I've also researched paint ceramic coating and am actually thinking about having this done in addition to the film.

My worry is that the film installer noted that if the film has to be removed due to damage or simply from end of life, that it'll surely pull off the factory graphics (worried specifically about the main side fairings).

I'm also worried that over time the paint under film will weather slower than the rest of the bike. So if I remove it after a few years, that the paint will look two tone.

I'm planning on getting a nice GEZA half cover but worry that the cover will scratch the paint with all the dust in the air. I'm at a stand still because I want to keep it nice but also bought it to ride...

I've thought about a full OEM Suzuki cover but don't think it'll fit with an 8" stretched swingarm and 240 rear.

I need some advice. I've got this beautiful 2019 that I can't wait to ride to work. The problem is that I work at a rock quarry and the dust is ridiculous. I don't even bother washing my beater car because it'll be covered in dust the next day.

I'm thinking about ways I can protect the bike and still enjoy riding it to work. I'm learning more about 3M Paint Protection Film and have thought about having it added in key areas of the bike. I've also researched paint ceramic coating and am actually thinking about having this done in addition to the film.

My worry is that the film installer noted that if the film has to be removed due to damage or simply from end of life, that it'll surely pull off the factory graphics (worried specifically about the main side fairings).

I'm also worried that over time the paint under film will weather slower than the rest of the bike. So if I remove it after a few years, that the paint will look two tone.

I'm planning on getting a nice GEZA half cover but worry that the cover will scratch the paint with all the dust in the air. I'm at a stand still because I want to keep it nice but also bought it to ride...

I've thought about a full OEM Suzuki cover but don't think it'll fit with an 8" stretched swingarm and 240 rear.
I live in a new construction area and have to ride through gravel when I leave and come home. I use a California Duster when I get it home. Have to make sure I service my chain more too. Hopefully they will do the road soon.

Last edited:
If you work at a quarry, no way will it ever stay clean.
You might work hard and keep it looking ok, but first time you pull the fairings, everything underneath will be gray.
What's worse is that condensation will settle on all the dust under there, and it'll be a constant mess.
Good luck with a losing battle.
I ride dirty bikes and don't care.

Cover would work. Don’t know how much longer than stock I am. But have more room to go with cover. Can find these on eBay.

F6D58D34-DD04-4D27-899C-A7484F14DFA7.jpeg

Cover would work. Don’t know how much longer than stock I am. But have more room to go with cover. Can find these on eBay.

View attachment 1596380

Thank you Matt. I was thinking a GEZA half cover; but after DougyP's note and seeing yours I may need to look harder at a full cover.

Does anyone have the cover from Suzuki; if so would an 8" stretch still fit in it? I've heard the Suzuki covers were particularly good at not scratching...

Matt; could you upload a picture of your bike with the cover off? That way I can see about how far stretched you are.

Thank you Matt. I was thinking a GEZA half cover; but after DougyP's note and seeing yours I may need to look harder at a full cover.

Does anyone have the cover from Suzuki; if so would an 8" stretch still fit in it? I've heard the Suzuki covers were particularly good at not scratching...

I got a new Suzuki brand Busa cover from Suzuki for my gen2 back in 09. It fit the bike perfectly...but an 8" stretch would not have fit under it.

you will have to store the cover somewhere at the qquaarryand be very careful taking it off and making sure no dust and grit get on the underside of the cover. A task I have no faith in no matter how hard you try. I would take the beater and enjoy the riding when you get home

you will have to store the cover somewhere at the qquaarryand be very careful taking it off and making sure no dust and grit get on the underside of the cover. A task I have no faith in no matter how hard you try. I would take the beater and enjoy the riding when you get home

Thanks Johnnie. Yea I'm going back and forth...

Like Six said, that's a losing battle riding to work at a quarry. If you leave a cover at work, dust will still collect on it even being covered. Best advice I can give is pull it into your garage and put several coats of wax on it. Use a microfiber dust mitt or a California Duster and wipe it down periodically. Use a quick detailer spray in between the days you wax.

I second the xpel vinyl. I did a test where I put it on my Apple Watch screen. I work in the healthcare field so I’m constantly washing my hands with antibacterial alcohol filled soap and the xpel still looks brand new months later. Its self healing and goes back to the original look when hot water is applied. The only issue is it has a slight orange peel to it (all vinyl does). I plan on covering as must as possible on my bike with it. The only big issue with it is the price. It’s about 3x more than normal paint protection vinyl.

You could buy an old beater delivery truck, leave it at work, roll the bike into the van while at work, then after work voila!

Back