Help Prepping Plastic

metalli445

Registered
I'd like to prep the two black panels that are attached to the side fairings. I'm not sure what you would call them but I'd like to get them painted. I want them to be a smooth surface and was wondering what you guys recommend as far as sanding grits and maybe any tips you could share. Thanks
040eaed1.jpg

Was considering painting those on mine also - white to match the bike

Then thought about having a smooth white panel flashing Florida sunshine into my eyes and kept them black and textured. Maybe there's a reason Suzuki textured them and made them black?

Was considering painting those on mine also - white to match the bike

Then thought about having a smooth white panel flashing Florida sunshine into my eyes and kept them black and textured. Maybe there's a reason Suzuki textured them and made them black?

Good point but if it becomes a safety issue I can always buy new plastics and swap it out. In the mean time I'd like to get these painted.

Get ready to do a ton of sanding and smoothing. My 05 had them painted and they werent sanded smooth, turned out ok, but would look better smooth. Also, make sure you use a flexible agent, those have to be tweaked to get them off and you dont want your paint cracking when you are working with them.

I won't be painting the panels myself but I'm glad you brought up this flexible agent so I can see if my painter knows about this. If he doesn't I'll probably look for someone who has done this before. Is this something that is mixed in with the primer\paint\top coat?

It is mixed with the top coat, or at least that is the way I was told to do it. It just keeps the paint pliable.

Raceready.com ... I think.. they paint to match and sanded them smooth for extra. I did my self and it took forever... if you have the cash pay them.

sooth looks good but they look fine with the texure also ! My buddy did his and it looks good

sandable primer ... do a layer sand till you see the black come through wash rinse repeat until it all comes out smooth then paint or atleast thats how ive done this to textured abs plastic in the past on dash panels etc.....

image-2654155035.jpg

First time I did it myself. A lot of work and the paint I got from colorrite was way off!! I got tired of it and realized after all raceready's prices were not as bad as I initially thought considering all the time it took me to get them smooth, not to mention 200+ dollars in materials.! so, I ended up paying them to do it. I think it's they charged $450 with exchange. But, they do pretty good work!!!!!

image-2654155035.jpg

View attachment 244321

First time I did it myself. A lot of work and the paint I got from colorrite was way off!! I got tired of it and realized after all raceready's prices were not as bad as I initially thought considering all the time it took me to get them smooth, not to mention 200+ dollars in materials.! so, I ended up paying them to do it. I think it's they charged $450 with exchange. But, they do pretty good work!!!!!

How is it in the sun down here - any glare problems off the smooth white????

Back