help please

busataz

Registered
Ok i just bought a mr turbo kit and was talk to the guy i got it from and he said that when you replace the fuel pump with the one for the turbo you lose your fuel gauge. Is this true and if so can it be fixed. also is it best to run a extra fan on the bike? this is going to be a street bike and a long trip bike. i also was wondering what the best oil pump to run? electric or mechanical? please help thanks!!!!

Hang tight, there will be a turb guru alone quickly to shed sme light on it for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I want to hear the answer to this as well, So I think I will come back later after the Turbo Gurus show up.

I am not a turbo guru but here is my .02
Dunno if your kit is similar to my RCC kit I just installed but I have the aftermarket fuel pump and my fuel gauge still works because it is still in the tank. All I did was remove the stock fuel pump and regulator and plump the fuel lines as the instructions said. So it depends on how much stuff inside the tank you remove when adding the aftermarket fuel tank.

Extra fan--- depends if your setup gets too hot for your bike. Do you have a muzzys aluminum fan blade to more more air? Did you relocate your fan thermostate from the radiator outlet to the inlet side like you would if you had a RCC kit? Are you running watter wetter or engine ice? 2 fans are nice but it is also more draw from your battery. Remember you added a larger fuel pump so the battery is working under a bigger electrical load vs before.

Oil pump???? Do you mean a extra scavenger oil pump? I am still using the stock oil pump on my bike why are you changing your oil pump?

Good luck

I'd say no to the 2 fans. I tried that once, rode on a two hour trip, with just one fan on instead of the two, shut the bike off....DEAD! Can't imagine what 2 would do! :cheerleader:

I am no expert...I just added the same kit as megawatt.
What year bike are you putting it on? Do you already have the parts or just planning ahead?

I added a second fan with muzzy blades...and use distiled water with water wetter and it usually runs about half way on the gauge...sitting in traffic the fans kick on, but the shut off once I am going again.

The new fuel pump is powered by the stock pump wireing... a bit of cutting/soldering..I did not lose the gauge function either...then you more less drill a hole in the botomn of the fuel pump housing..add a 90 degree fitting and hook it up to the new pump.

I hope some of this helps.

With the mr turbo kit you need a scavenge pump or the header remade
the mechanical is better but getting a hold of one is near impossible at this time (but not for long if I can get one designed)

It is going on a 2006 Le. I meant a scavenge oil pump. i don't have the part here yet but should have them buy the end of next week. I am just try to get the info so im ready when it gets here. megawatt i have not got the muzzy fan yet i think it will be a must. we will see when it gets here so i know what is going in to the tank as far as my gas gauge. but all this info is great glad i got on this site. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You will loose your gas gauge if you use the tank plate I will be sending with the kit. You could gut your pump and keep the gauge. But you will need to return fuel back to the pump suction with a T ( prior to the fuel filter ) or back to the tank a different way. Unless someone else has a setup I haven't thought of???..... The plate that replaces the stock pump has a supply and return. I hope you enjoy the kit and wish that I was finishing this project and not getting rid of it!

And yes he means an oil scavenging pump.

Last edited:
You can remove the stock pump and place a bulkhead fitting in the bottom of the stock plate and return it to the factory feed line
they do the same on the rcc as well as other kits

You can remove the stock pump and place a bulkhead fitting in the bottom of the stock plate and return it to the factory feed line
they do the same on the rcc as well as other kits

Chris is correct. I used a 90 degree bulkhead connector on the bottom of my stock plate which retains the fuel sender in the tank. Fuel goes into a fuel filter, to a Bosch inline, and then to the fuel rail. BIG NOTE to remember,......keep your fuel pump as low as possible,.......or you will have "hot soak" issues and fuel starvation when hot. Good Luck!!

I use to have a Mr turbo kit and was told by the original owner that the scavenging pump used in the kit will last about 10k miles or so. Mine was always bit 'seepy' but worked as designed. He said it was quite a show when it went out on him. You'll know because the oil will back up into the turbo and smoke like a bitc$. he put over 40k miles on his kit!

well do you have to use a scavenging pump with a Rcc turbo header or not. Maybe i will sell the one header and get one of the to replace it with.

they use a different flange i do believe
but to answer your ?
no you dont need a scavenge pump on an RCC kit

i thought they all used t3 flanges? but i guess the ?? is do they use the same turbo. what does that scavenge pump do pump oil or slow the oil to the turbo down?

no most rajays (used in mr turbo kits) use a 3 bolt flange
but id need to see it to know more on what flange it uses but if i remember right most of the older mr turbo kits used a 3 bolt flange not a t3 flange

The scavanging pump sucks oil out of the turbo and puts it back into the cases. Mine put it back into the top of the clutch cover. If you use a clear line for the return you will likely notice non continuous return of oil, meaining you'l see air in the line along with the oil. Mine did this from day one, it's not abnormal.

Back