Help please engine running on 2 to 3 cylinders

jakeeboy

Registered
Hi there! I recently purchased a 1999 busa (16,000 miles). The bike had only done approx 1200 miles in the last 6 years or so being left standing with a little fuel in it. This led to some rust forming in the tank. I had my local suzuki dealer clean out the fuel pump and change oil, oil and air filters etc. We cleaned out the tank as best we could and I had the tps adjusted slightly to improve running under 3000 rpm. I rode the bike to France for a week. It ran OK but was still intermittently rough below 3000 rpm.

On return from France, back to dealer and replaced fuel tank with one purchased on ebay. Mechanic stripped down and cleaned out fuel pump again, replaced the paper filter along with the tea bag like one. Also replaced one of the fuel hoses with preformed one. When bike was started up again it was a few seconds before it ran on all 4 cylinders then seemed fine.

I collected the bike today from the mechanic & rode after filling up with some shell v power and it ran great for about 20 miles or so then dropped down to 2 or 3 cylinders with the other(s) cutting in and out. If I shut throttle of cylinder would appear to almost kick in but soon as open throttle would start missing big time. I rode home about 10 miles with it like this.

Beginning to lose faith in it now so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jake

:banghead:

Probably rust that made its way into the fuel injectors. Cleaning the tank, pump and filters won't get everything out of the system. If you're lucky, the injectors just need to be taken out and cleaned.

I know the first time he cleaned the pump he cleaned the screens on the injectors but not sure about the second time. Not sure what you mean about filter for regulator but sure mechanic will know. Will ask, thanks.

Your mechanic is verry happy with you coming back everytime. Maybe its time (sinds your here) to go see if you can figure out how to lift your tank. Pulling your injectors is a pretty staight forward job and cleaning them aswell.
In other words, you've probably paid your mechanic a nice sum of cash, but the problem remains, a good mechanic who knows his job, should know that you cant just switch a tank or pump without flushing the entire system. If problems like these happen, then its time to check the entire system from tank to injector, even hoses could crumble from the inside and you just need a flake to get one injector from doing his job....but your mechanic should know this. There are plenty of folks here and excisting threads that can guide you through the entire procces, its up to you if you want to spend your cash on a mechanic who clearly likes to see you come back, or to start learning how to service certain parts of your bike and spend a weekend fixing your bike and gaining knowledge that will help you for the rest of your bikers life.

Since you are unmounting the injectors and thereby FP, consider to check the filter below the FP fuel pressure regulator. There is a fingertip filter that chockes with dirt.

Back