HELP!! My rear seat is stuck

nectrplnt

Registered
I think something is broken in the key / latch mechanism to unhook my rear seat / hump. Everytime I turn the key, it doesent feel like its enganging anything. Now my seat is stuck on the bike and I cant access my trunk. Anyone got any ideas on how to take off the rear seat without the key?

have you done any work on the bike that needed to unhook the latch? Like pull off the tail section? GENI or GENII

ok...GENI

Pull your front seat off and run a ruler under the tail section, behind the battery area, and see if you can move the cable/lock at the back on the left side by the locking mech.

Gen 1. And no, no work done. I have a hotbodies undertail, and grab bars. Never had a problem till this morning. Im gonna try the ruler trick and pull the front seat off. wish me luck

ok...GENI

Pull your front seat off and run a ruler under the tail section, behind the battery area, and see if you can move the cable/lock at the back on the left side by the locking mech.

took rear seat off. Doesent look like I can get to the rear latch from here. Lots of stuff blocking it and almost no clearance.

IMG00255-20110601-1343.jpg

The latch is on the rear side of the bracket(towards the back of the bike)on a gen1, you can't get to it that way. Gen2 is on the front that you get to from the front seat.
You need to gently pry up on the right side(right side as in sitting on it)of the passenger seat. Then slide the ruler under and push it to the left. Your trying to catch the seat latch arm and push it over to open it.
I've also heard of several people removing the undertail and accessing it that way.
I think it was RussellJ that was the last person I saw post about removing removing the undertail. You can pm him if you can't get it with the ruler, but the ruler does work too.

The latch is on the rear side of the bracket(towards the back of the bike)on a gen1, you can't get to it that way. Gen2 is on the front that you get to from the front seat.
You need to gently pry up on the right side(right side as in sitting on it)of the passenger seat. Then slide the ruler under and push it to the left. Your trying to catch the seat latch arm and push it over to open it.
I've also heard of several people removing the undertail and accessing it that way.
I think it was RussellJ that was the last person I saw post about removing removing the undertail. You can pm him if you can't get it with the ruler, but the ruler does work too.

i love you guys and this org. I dont know what I would do without it. thanks for help. STUPID yellow grommet making things all difficult.

IMG00256-20110601-1403.jpg

+1 just take the 6 plastic push pins out of the under-tail let it drop down a bit and reach up in there.

Rockethed using Tapatalk

i love you guys and this org. I dont know what I would do without it. thanks for help. STUPID yellow grommet making things all difficult.

Glad I could help. Someone here helps every one of us at some point or another:beerchug:

Gen 1. And no, no work done. I have a hotbodies undertail, and grab bars. Never had a problem till this morning. Im gonna try the ruler trick and pull the front seat off. wish me luck

ah yes,..hot bodies undertail helps to give access.:beerchug: Glad you got it.

I forgot to hook the lock cable on my Gen 1 today. spent 2 hrs trying to find the latch by simply prying up the cowl... fail lost patience so I used a drill bit about the same size of a bic pen on the right side behind where I have the grab bar to CAREFULLY drill a small discrete hole.

1. Pried up the cowl GENTLY!
2. Drilled a small hole
3. Used a screw driver to push the locking mechanism to unhook the lock.
4. After the cowl was off I trimmed the end cap of a bic pen to fill the hole i drilled and pressed it into the hole from the inside in case I ever pull a stupid again. Hopefully it also keeps water from draining into the trunk.

Hope it helps anyone else. still kicking myself for being such an idiot.

actually looks like the yellow grommet is broken, which might be the real problem. That yellow grommet clips into the frame to hold the cable so it can move the release lever. I think the key was turning but not releasing the lever because of that. Never seen one break like that before! You might have to get the full cable assembly as I don't think just the yellow grommet can be replaced. If you have to order one just tie a string to the lever as a temporary release.

I had the same problem on a 1999 Hayabusa. Caused by putting to much under the seat and jamming the release system.
First pry up the seat, protecting the paint work with a rag, un bolt the grab rail and remove. It's awkward but can be done. Next lever up the seat again and undo the 10 mm bolt that is in the centre of the seat towards the back. Once this is out, again a bit tricky, you can the lever one then the other of the front plastic retaining brackets out then that's it the seats off. I found you can be quite rough with the seat without damaging it. Hope this helps. Cheers Del.

I had the same problem on a 1999 Hayabusa. Caused by putting to much under the seat and jamming the release system.
First pry up the seat, protecting the paint work with a rag, un bolt the grab rail and remove. It's awkward but can be done. Next lever up the seat again and undo the 10 mm bolt that is in the centre of the seat towards the back. Once this is out, again a bit tricky, you can the lever one then the other of the front plastic retaining brackets out then that's it the seats off. I found you can be quite rough with the seat without damaging it. Hope this helps. Cheers Del.

I just got mine off last night similar to this. I shimmed it up maybe 3/4 between the front grab rail bolt on right side. Took the grab rail bolts off and could get to the front 10mm bolt holding the locking mechanism to the seat. After wiggling it I got both the front plastic hooks off. I couldn't get to the rear 10mm bolt of the locking mechanism so I had to twist the seat half a turn and the washer in the seat pulled through the plastic seat but I could get to the rear bolt. If it happens again I would try to use a coat hanger to push the cable retainer forward from the same side....But now I'll try to fix it and hopefully I can reuse it like before

IMAG1448.jpg

IMAG1449.jpg

IMAG1450.jpg

IMAG1451.jpg

IMAG1452.jpg

IMAG1453.jpg

IMAG1454.jpg

Back