HELP! My Gen I is not running right above 7000 RPM

Rocketman

Registered
On the way in to work today, I thought I'd goose the bike a bit to feel that old launch feeling. Wide open, climbing above 6500-7000rpms and up, the bike revs and revs but doesn't go much faster. It sounds flat too...

It has 30K miles on it and it's been well taken care of. This was startling to me. Where do I start with this? Clutch? Bad gas? Plugged air or gas filters? Anyone ever have this?

It has a PCIII USB, Lg Air Box Mod with the marble mod, and Yoshi RC3 full race exhaust.

Its embarrassing. Its like my wife put some kind of governor on it! HELP!!

:bowdown:

Hows it feel below when it cuts out ? pull the pc and try it. Mine was doing something similar I put a zero map and ran it and it went good reloaded the tuned map and it was better. All I got. Board was good to me with fixes. You should have it sorted soon. Good luck

Mine did this same thing when I put Shell gas in it, went back to B.P. and never had the problem since. My guess was too much water. Good luck and post up the results.:beerchug:

maybe bad gas, how old is the gas in the tank?, probably wouldnt hurt to use some seafoam in it, have u changed octanes of gas?? like from 87 to 92 or anything like that?

could be fuel tank screen related... they get clogged and the bike falls on its face only at higher rpms... mine did it.

A guy at the track had a busa that did that. He unplugged the PCIII and it helped a little. Ended up being a bad fuel pump. '04 busa. Not sure of miles. Good luck.

try the trotle(acelerator). if the hole part moves when u go to the max the pin inside is broke and make that problem.happens to me.good luck::

OK everyone. I've been reading through these and it's giving me good ideas. I'll start working through these today. Seafoam - that sounds awesome! Never heard of it and can't wait to use it!

I'm hoping it's not a fuel pump part... argh!!

Here's the latest. I changed oil/filter, added some seafoam, blew out the bmc race filter (which was really clean anyway,) unplugged my power commander, and it runs smooth as a whistle. But at 7K - its not getting enough gas or something. Flat... RPMs climb - but no more power.

A fuel pump - if that is the problem - dealer price $700! The filter - is running $289!! Holy pumpage batman!!

I'll put a good tank of gas in it and see if that changes anything. (I'm down to the E-mark.)

I did the valve adjustment (dealer) at 17k miles. It has 30k miles now and needs the valves serviced again. Could that be the culprit?

The clutch doesn't feel slippy and I would think that I could feel the slipping while getting on it at any range - right?

i wouldnt think it would be valve lash, since its making rpm, sounds like the pc3 has a bad map or its still fuel related, if it turns out to be the pump give hondaeast toledo a call, he might have one at a better price, or maybe a member might, good luck keep us posted

So - I changed the oil, added a clean tank of gas with Seafoam, changed the plugs, disconnected the PCIII. No change.

I changed the muffler bearings and the blinker fluid - no change. ;-)

The bike won't go higher than 95k rpms and is flat at wide open throttle.

I need to still check the TPS on the dash. I need to find out how to check the fuel pressure. ... I'll keep you posted on what I find. There seems to be various people with this problem at these miles. But I haven't found that anyone identified a solution for their problem.

Back