HELP !!!!! My bike sounds like its going to blow up !!!

Long story short. we went riding today and was having a great time. Let another guy ride my 2004 Busa. all he did was take it down the road and and back again at about 60 mph and five minutes later. When he pulled up it was making a weird ticking noise then it started to sound like a rod wanted to come through the engine block !!! ( or so I thought). Opened the oil filler cap and it appears that some teeth or something is messed up on the clutch assembly(?). One guy said to get a clutch basket and replace it after draining the oil for any pieces of metal that may have sheered off. (Tried taking a pic but too tight a spot for my camera phone)

Trailered the bike home (Thanks to cousin Vinnie for coming to the rescue with my trailer)

I am no mechanic but my plan now is to take the clutch plate off and see what is going on in there.

Anyone have this problem before ?

I already searched the site for a similar post, but nothing that had the horrendous noise i was hearing.

My Buddy said that because I upshift without using my clutch lever, this added to the problem but I have trouble believing this because whenever I upshift like that it has been smooth and seemless.

ask a A1 zx12r owner about clutches destroying themselves!! very common and all down to poor lubrication and heat.

get the cover off and have a look first and asses the damage etc.

as for up shifting without using the clutch that's not the cause and ok to do that

think you may have a broken clutch basket due to clutch plate failure from lack of oil or worn plates

Never let someone use your bike.Yeah take the clutch cover off and take a look.Hopefully its a simple fix.

ask a A1 zx12r owner about clutches destroying themselves!! very common and all down to poor lubrication and heat.

get the cover off and have a look first and asses the damage etc.

as for up shifting without using the clutch that's not the cause and ok to do that

think you may have a broken clutch basket due to clutch plate failure from lack of oil or worn plates

We will pull that clutch cover off this week and take a look see. I will try to post some pics of what we find and then go from there. Thanks lonner

hope its something simple. I dont let anyone ride my street bikes either, nor do I ride my friends bikes. Dirt is different, we all have something different from quads to sand cars. We all take turns messing each others stuff up.

We open her up the other day and it seems a bolt worked its way loose and did a lot of damage inside the clutch basket.

That mangled up bolt took some some teeth off the outter clutch basket and actually cracked the clutch basket cover. So now I am need of these three parts.

Clutch basket
outter clutch basket
clutch basket cover

(oh yeah, and four quarts of Mobil synthetic). and a gasket :banghead:

I have posted an ad on craigslist in orlando for these parts with a trade for either yoshi or DnD slip ons that I have, or cash, or whatever.

Any ideas on where to get this stuff cheap ? I spent just about all my cash on that new/used Kawi Nomad for the wife (which she really likes)

Thanks

HTML:
http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2647024359.html

clutch pile.jpg

outter clutch basket.jpg

We open her up the other day and it seems a bolt worked its way loose and did a lot of damage inside the clutch basket.

That mangled up bolt took some some teeth off the outter clutch basket and actually cracked the clutch basket cover. So now I am need of these three parts.

Clutch basket
outter clutch basket
clutch basket cover

(oh yeah, and four quarts of Mobil synthetic). and a gasket :banghead:

I have posted an ad on craigslist in orlando for these parts with a trade for either yoshi or DnD slip ons that I have, or cash, or whatever.

Any ideas on where to get this stuff cheap ? I spent just about all my cash on that new/used Kawi Nomad for the wife (which she really likes)

Thanks

HTML:
http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2647024359.html

I happen to have an extra clutch basket assembly with a good clutch in it pm me if you want it.

Ok here is the latest.

Traded the yoshi pipes for everything I needed minus the friction plates and steels.

My steels looked fine so keeping those.

A few of my friction plates were damaged so now I'm looking for a set of those, will probably just order a set off ebay for about $100.

One step at a time.

anyone know what the torgue setting is for that big nut on the outer clutch basket and also for the six spring loaded bolts ?

Wow! I put new plates on mine bout a month ago, and 3 of the spring bolts were loose, first time the cover had ever been off. I know if I had just tightend up the bolts the cluth would probably quit sliping, but I put the new plates in anyway. But if one had of backed all the way out, I,m sure it would have caused major damage.
Glad your get n her fixed up.

Finally ordered the rest of the parts. Friction plates $97 and gasket $7 on the way from ebay. Someone suggested we drop the oil pan to look for any loose metal in there. one step at a time / I still need to know the proper torque settings for all the bolts and that big nut , any ideas ?

Finally ordered the rest of the parts. Friction plates $97 and gasket $7 on the way from ebay. Someone suggested we drop the oil pan to look for any loose metal in there. one step at a time / I still need to know the proper torque settings for all the bolts and that big nut , any ideas ?

dropping the oil pan and inspecting the oil pickup should have been the second step, right after finding the damage to the clutch.

what bolt backed out that caused it to break an ear off the basket?

Back