Help Me Understand - Killing vs. Hunting

Southside Playa

Master Pot-Stirrer
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, with all the drama about Michael Vick being released from prison, I am at a crossraods in my own judgment. I look at what happened and YES he violated the law. HOWEVER, since when does it make much of a difference to value a dogs life over other animals???

Yeah, I understand that dogs are typically domesticated & yes most of us have a soft spot in our hearts for them. But, hell there are too many strays running round any dayum way.

What about deer, fish, game birds, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, & the sort?? Just because you pay for a license (that state governments get the $$ from)to wack them it is okay?? Guys, go out yearly & spend hundreds of thousands of $$$ to hunt. This guy funds an operation to fight dogs of a breed that most people don't like anyway. He loses his freedom & income for a few years, and then the Fed kill the remaing dogs anyway. You have people that kill people & get less time or even fuggin probation.

SOMEHOW THIS SHID JUST SEEMS WRONG IN MY MIND. END OF THE DAY WHAT MAKES DOGS SO SPECIAL.

NOTE: I am not being insensitive to dog lovers. I have had several of my own & I loved them dearly. I am just trying figure out if I am the only one thinking this way.

I dont raise them to shoot them. Hence the difference.

Last edited:
Ok so you drop a "bambi" from 250 yards with a single shot.. harvest the meat and actually use the "kill" as a part of life (we started out hunter/gathers") vs.

A competition where two animals are made to fight until one succumbs to fatal injury (which might take days to happen) and then profit financially from the event as other bet on who's animal is stronger to supplement your already multimillion dollar income... naw... no difference..

I see no relation to fishing or bird hunting (fish are often released but eaten if not) Birds die usually before they hit the ground.. (again eaten after killed)

If you get this guy to eat his dead dogs after being dispatched? we can talk again.. (then you can deal with the hours or days of suffering the animals go through)

BTW: "a breed most people hate anyway" I do not buy that for a second... they have been maligned by the very person you would appear to be defending.. the dogs are trained to be "vicious" just as some people are raised in single family, low income, disadvantaged homes as drug dealers..

Last edited:
Ok so you drop a "bambi" from 250 yards with a single shot.. harvest the meat and actually use the "kill" as a part of life (we started out hunter/gathers") vs.

A competition where two animals are made to fight until one succumbs to fatal injury (which might take days to happen) and then profit financially from the event as other bet on who's animal is stronger to supplement your already multimillion dollar income... naw... no difference..

I see no relation to fishing or bird hunting (fish are often released but eaten if not) Birds die usually before they hit the ground.. (again eaten after killed)

If you get this guy to eat his dead dogs after being dispatched? we can talk again.. (then you can deal with the hours or days of suffering the animals go through)

BTW: "a breed most people hate anyway" I do not buy that for a second... they have been maligned by the very person you would appear to be defending.. the dogs are trained to be "vicious" just as some people are raised in single family, low income, disadvantaged homes as drug dealers..

Yep

Okay, you made some decent points.

Keep em coming

And for the record, I like Pits. I too agree that they are only vicious when trained to be so. Same with Rotts. Mine was the sweetest dog ever known to man. May she rest in peace.

The "Pitts" i have met have all be teddy bears (seems to be the natural disposition) is that fairly accurate? (never owned one)

I think the domestication of dogs and the "man's best friend" tag is just too ingrained in the modern human. The act of dog fighting just seems barbaric, cruel, and inhumane to most educated, civilized humans.

The act of hunting seems to be a population control procedure than food harvesting. I grew up hunting in the Tennessee-Mississippi-Arkansas areas and enjoyed it at the time but I really have no need or purpose to continue that "sport". As most hunters can attest, wild animals can be very territorial and aggressive, and could easily become overpopulated if left unchecked.

My $0.02 and I'm sticking to it!

Way too many deer, givem up to the almighty:)

I don't have a problem with anyone killing an animal for food (I love to eat meat), but I don't see how Vick's abuse of dogs can be compared to legitimate hunting and fishing???

The dogs are trained to fight...they get hurt over and over and when they do fight for someones profit and pleasure, they tear themselves apart. One usually dies in the process or has to be killed.

j94mu1.jpg

shot this one with a bow at 20yds last season. he is now on the wall and provided me with some great jerky. couple things to think about

1. if they are not hunted animals can get out of hand
2. you dont eat a dog, thats why there is no dog season
ahh.. theres so many more but im busy at work right now

have you ever had some good deer meat or jerky? that should make you change your mind. the only reason we have wild animals on this planet is for us to eat.

j94mu1.jpg

One thought.....UFC.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was a hunter years ago and so was my dad. The difference between Hunting and Killing is
Hunting, You scout the area ya want to hunt,Find a spot to put your tree stand or what ever cover you want to use, When the animal comes buy (now many states have rules about size and gender of the animal, especially deer) you shoot it. Then get the animal to a butcher and harvest the meat and eat it when you want to.
Killing on the other hand is a violent act done with no other purpose but to eliminate another being and just leaving the body somewhere.

You can't tax dog fight. It's not politically viable, hence you shall not profit from it. Examples, prostitution, marijuana, revolution etc.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Trust me. I am all carnivore. Deer is great - jerky, sausage, stewed, or otherwise.

But, we don't have to kill deer now to survive. It is a matter of choice.

The point was made on PERCEPTION. We percieve dogs to be close to humans, and place them on a high level. They are dayum sure on the menu in some Asian cultures. Maybe Vick should have sent the remnants of his dogs over there. Would that have been better??

:whistle:

i dont know about texas but around here the deer population is getting out of hand. 2 have ran into stores and tore stuff up and 1000's of cars are tore up because of them. not to mention all the close calls i have had with them running out of front of me while on the busa.

BUT.. i do not agree with killing an animal and not making use of the meat

Yeah for anyone whos ever owned a pit youll know that there one of the most freindly dogs ever. I personally have never met anyone who said the didnt like pits. UFC is alot different those guys choose to fight. The dogs have no choice cause u get POS people like vick who think the law doesnt apply to them. I would give anything to see him spend the rest of his life in prison screw his freedom he should have thought about that when he was hanging dogs from trees for not winning a fight. How many people get less than 2 years for killing another human?? than must only happen in texas.

Trust me. I am all carnivore. Deer is great - jerky, sausage, stewed, or otherwise.

But, we don't have to kill deer now to survive. It is a matter of choice.

The point was made on PERCEPTION. We percieve dogs to be close to humans, and place them on a high level. They are dayum sure on the menu in some Asian cultures. Maybe Vick should have sent the remnants of his dogs over there. Would that have been better??

:whistle:

Whats the diff in eating deer cause im sure you have steak and hamburgers at restraunts and stuff unless your a vegitarian in which case i apologize.

Yeah for anyone whos ever owned a pit youll know that there one of the most freindly dogs ever. I personally have never met anyone who said the didnt like pits. UFC is alot different those guys choose to fight. The dogs have no choice cause u get POS people like vick who think the law doesnt apply to them. I would give anything to see him spend the rest of his life in prison screw his freedom he should have thought about that when he was hanging dogs from trees for not winning a fight. How many people get less than 2 years for killing another human?? than must only happen in texas.

Valid point.
Posted via Mobile Device

OJ Simpson (I know he is locked up NOW, but that is just for being a dumbazz)

Back