Help me out guys. Is this fairing OEM or aftermarket

Ac1dTr1p

Registered
Im doing the gen 2 tail mod on my gen 1 and I just won this fairing off ebay. I cant tell if its aftermarket or OEM because the 2 guys before me painted it and sanded it all over. Need to see some detailed inside pics of another OEM tail fairing or anyone know some dead giveaways for aftermarket. Heres some pics. Im droppin over 2 grand on some custom paint with airbrushing and its not going to be on some garbage aftermarket low budget trash from Asia.Thanks guys.

IMG00204-20100712-1510.jpg

IMG00205-20100712-1510.jpg

IMG00206-20100712-1510.jpg

IMG00207-20100712-1510.jpg

IMG00208-20100712-1511.jpg

I'd say definitely after-market, the mount points look exactly like my after-market set. They snap off pretty easy too, you've been warned!:whistle:

Its just that everyone here on the forum has been *****ing about aftermarket being cheap and breaking or melting. I live in Arizona so fairings that break or melt are not an option. Especially with the money going into the paint alone. If I was half assing a custom job then ya but building from the ground up and spending bank so need the best.

may be irrelevant now but was the auction listed as OEM or aftermarket?

I have the red flame on black after-market on mine and I'm OK with it, it's not quite OEM, but everybody says it looks good. You will want to make sure you have heat shielding in the right places, other than that you should have no problems.

+1 to what Dehning above said. The seller has a good feedback history so that is at least in your favor? Best of luck.

says 3 day money back...is he local to you? edit: phoenix is next to Mesa ..right? take them back. I would not spend $$$ for paint on aftermarket plastics and have to worry about fitment.

Last edited:
OK to be clear, I don't have any fitment problems as such, the tail section fits perfectly (although the taillight bracket took a little bit of work. The irritation is that I have to keep pressure towards the back of the bike on the nose fairing to get the holes to line up ON ONE SIDE, other than that, everything is fine.

Ya its an ebay set (tin). I just put these up on Craigs because Im sure somebody out there doesnt care its aftermarket. The guy I bought it from is completely blowing me off. I hate ebay, nothing is ever what they say it is. I havent bought one thing in the condition it was stated to be in.

Ya its an ebay set (tin). I just put these up on Craigs because Im sure somebody out there doesnt care its aftermarket. The guy I bought it from is completely blowing me off. I hate ebay, nothing is ever what they say it is. I havent bought one thing in the condition it was stated to be in.

Sorry you've had such bad luck, on the other hand, I have about a 95% success rate with ebay, there is no way I could have gotten my bikes to where they are without ebay & craigslist.

Ebay is ok....I use it a lot and have had good luck so far. Just got to ask questions and read the small print. I have bought stuff incorrectly, but to my own fault for not reading the whole ad.

on the fitment issue...I am sure there are more than one brand of aftermarket fairings out there....and some may fit better than others:beerchug:

Back