Help me diagnose this

Dehning

Registered
I just finished putting together all the parts of my project Busa. I put about 2 gallons into the tank, turned on the ignition, the pump primed, all the lights & gauges did what they were supposed to. I pressed the start button and nothing, not even a click. I checked the fuses both on the left of the controls and the one next to the starter relay and all are OK. Now, I shorted the two main lines coming into the starter relay and as I thought, the bike turned over and after some coaxing, started up.

Does this sound like the starter relay has gone, or is there something else I should check first.

Thanks for the input.:bowdown:

OK, I'm very familiar with Hondas where you can have the kick stand down and still start the bike as long as it's in neutral. I'll check it again in a sec, but that doesn't sound like my problem.

Yep - check what the other two suggested... Tip-over sensor, kickstand switch, clutch switch.

Not the kickstand being down.
Not the clutch.
Not the battery (I'm jumping off a bigger battery & the bike turns over and starts fine when I short the starter relay)

May I ask how you checked your clutch switch? I installed aftermarket levers recently and on a certain position setting the clutch switch isn't engaged. My bike did exactly what you described. So that being said did you hook up a voltmeter in continuity mode and check to make sure the circuit is being completed when you pull the clutch in?

I also think the tip over sensor will set off your FI light on the dash so if your FI light is off you don't have to worry about that. You could always pull the codes just in case though. :beerchug:

Can you find a good schumatic for the circuit going to the starter?
Find me a diagram and I can easily help you diagnose the problem.

Start with the obvious. Have a friend try to start the bike while you check voltage drop from the starter solenoid to a good ground. Check all your safety devices to see if they are working properly.

Go to harbor frieght and get a really cheap multimeter. They can be had for $2.99 on sale. Carquest sells the exact same meter for $39.99.

Put the meter on volts to check voltage drop across the starter solenoid and a good ground while cranking engine.

Put the meter on ohms (to check resistance) when checking the neutral safety switch, tip over sensor,etc. Find where the connector for the neutral safety switch, etc are disconnect the switch. (we'll use the kickstand as an example).. Unplug the connector going to the kickstand. With the kickstand down the resistance will be infinate. (The meter will read O.L.) With the kickstand up the meter should read near zero ohms of resistance when ohming across the two terminals leading to the kickstand.

Find me a schumatic and I'd be happy to walk you thru it.

Last edited:
I would take a look at your tip over sensor. It is something simple to check before you start diving into the more complicated stuff on the bike.

I'll double-check the clutch switch, but does the bike care what state the clutch is in if the bike is in neutral? (I can start my Blackbird in neutral regardless of clutch position)

I also don't think it's the tip-over sensor since that's designed to kill the motor in a tip over, and the motor runs once started therefor I surmise that it must be OK.

I'll start with a multimeter and the workshop manual's diagnostics, I was just hoping somebody would have a suggestion about something obvious I missed.

yes, the clutch has to be pulled in even in netural and if the switch went bad for some reason and never completed the circuit the bike doesn't even attempt to start. However, the fuel pump and everything acts fine until you push the starter button. That's at least how my bike acted.

Intresting, will try that when I get home. My bike is a 2003 in case it makes any difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
I found this schumatic posted in another thread here on the forum.

126867d1232597422-how-does-gear-sensor-work-gear-position-indicator.jpg

Start by going to the starter relay. Listen or feel for a click when attempting to start the bike. Does the relay click? Post back and let us know.

Also: Looking at the schumatic I see that the side stand switch is an open/close switch, but DOES in fact go thru a relay. Check to see if this relay clicks or not when putting the kickstand up or down.

EDIT: I'm not sure where these relays are or if they are easily acceptible? You may not hear the click, you may need to put a finger on the relay to see if you can feel it "click" or not.
Also the fuel pump relay and some other items are partially on the same circuit. If the fuel pump is engaging and you can get the bike started that is a good thing. It will at least help us narrow down the problem. I'm most interested in knowing if the kick stand switch relay is "clicking" or not. That will help narrow your problem down to 1 or 2 things.

Like I said, I'm not famalier with bikes, but understand electrical theory so there may be an easier approach. This is just the way that I would go about doing things.

Last edited:
Wow, I feel like I owe everybody an apology :duh:

It was just the clutch lever, my Blackbird does not require the clutch to be in, sorry guys, but thanks for stopping me from going down a long pointless diagnostic road !

Back