Help me diagnose my motor

fstbusa

orange peel is caused by excessive speed
Donating Member
Registered
Went out riding last night and did a few quick sprints into the mid triple digits

03 stage 1
stock motor/stock compression
0.5 bar spring
h20 injection set at 5lbs

motorhead built and tuned the bike back in 05 and it has run flawlessly ever since.

Probably about 10k on the turbo setup.

Sorry for the poor audio quality...had the waterproof door on at the time.

I did find the FMU bracket was busted when I lift the tank and that was sitting ontop of the motor. I check the shim and its not cracked.

almost sounded like the turbine wheel was rubbing on the housing....
My guess is turbo bearing, busted ring, or rod.....

I haven't tore into anything yet...waiting to get some ideas.

Yeozzzza, I don't think it is the turbo bearing as the turbo continues to spin for a while even after turning the ignition off and your noise stops as soon as the engine is off.

Ouch, I dont know for sure, but that sounds like its in the head.

that doesn't sound good man. I always thought you had to beef up the motor a bit to run a turbo. after 10K miles maybe the turbo took it's toll on the stock motor

that doesn't sound good man. I always thought you had to beef up the motor a bit to run a turbo. after 10K miles maybe the turbo took it's toll on the stock motor

actually you don't have to beef up much until to start nearing 350hp. The rods are usually the first thing to fail at that point....

Sounds like the double tap of a rod or wrist pin issue.

It started after the high speed pulls?

Did 4-5 pulls from 40-160 or so and then when I was slowing down heard that noise intermittently

had a turbo setup just like that. 8 psi. 250hp. sounds like you popped a retainer off a valve from detonation. that sound is the piston slapping the valve back into the head. youll need a head rebuild. mine fried some valves, 2 pistons, and burnt some of the head away

had a turbo setup just like that. 8 psi. 250hp. sounds like you popped a retainer off a valve from detonation. that sound is the piston slapping the valve back into the head. youll need a head rebuild. mine fried some valves, 2 pistons, and burnt some of the head away

Whats that going to cost me?

you will have to see how much is damaged. i needed new pistons, cylinder block and a rebuilt head. i think mine was 1000-1500 for parts (alot of them used)and i did all the work myself. but labor would be pretty high for all the work(500-1000?). splitting the cases. but if youre going that far this time build it right with low compression pistons, stronger rods, fresh bearings, oil pump, HD output shaft. it be best to get a hold of a sponsor here like goldenchild or powerhouse when u get it all apart, theyll help you out

you will have to see how much is damaged. i needed new pistons, cylinder block and a rebuilt head. i think mine was 1000-1500 for parts (alot of them used)and i did all the work myself. but labor would be pretty high for all the work(500-1000?). splitting the cases. but if youre going that far this time build it right with low compression pistons, stronger rods, fresh bearings, oil pump, HD output shaft. it be best to get a hold of a sponsor here like goldenchild or powerhouse when u get it all apart, theyll help you out

yowsers! I hope mine isn't nearly that bad. :please::please::please:

I don't think I've had any detonation issues(if it was that) until now.

I don't think you need to lower the compression if you're just doing short bursts of boost. I ran this thing at the strip atleast 100 passes up to 160mph and never had an issue.

I would consider building the motor if I wanted to up the boost but for just a stage 1 I don't think it warrants that.

I have a set of pistons somewhere in my garage but will need all other parts.....

yea u never know until you open it up and see what happened. I had about 10k miles (turbo miles) on mine and one day i did a high speed run and when i let off, just no power at all. had to limp home on 2 cylinders. If u keep it stock youll have the same problem some other day down the road. top speed runs just kill stage one bikes. i just went back to stock on mine, the way i figure i want to be able to run as fast and as hard as the bike can for as long as i want without problems. either go stock or built stage 2. thats my opinion tho lol. wishing the best for you tho.

I'm hardly ever boosting hard for more than a few seconds at a time... when I start getting to 160mph I'm usually out of the gas... I've been faster but its very hairy up at those speeds.

I have seen people use a long large size screwdriver pressed against the valve cover and their ear / head...kind of like a stethoscope...to transmit the sounds in the valve train. Does the noise increase and decrease with the rpms /revving?

I don't have sound hear at work so I don't know what's goign on in the vid. I would say, in the least pull the valve cover off and take a look at things.

sounds like bearings and some top end but more bearings
had it happen and it isnt cheep when having to replace it all

Do not continue to run this engine, you will only damage it more,
pull the cam cover and sump , you should get a better idea of the problems,

Do not continue to run this engine, you will only damage it more,
pull the cam cover and sump , you should get a better idea of the problems,

Oh I do not plan on running it anymore. I was hesitant to run it as long as I did in the video but I wanted to get a better idea of the noise.

Back